• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Birth Religion

Religious Background/ Raising

• Total voters

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I was born a Catholic, and spent the first 14 years of my life in a strict Catholic school. I was part of the Aspirancy; a "club" for girls who eventually wanted to enter the convent (but were too young at the time for actual postulancy.)

When my father sued for my custody, my mother packed us up in the middle of the night and fled Chicago. We spent the next four years on the run; I never really understood why, but she was terrified she would lose custody. We didn't go to church; my mother was too afraid of getting known in any one place. She didn't even allow me to go to school; we were never in one place long enough, and she didn't want me registered. (I later spent my 20s catching up on my education.) She eventually got me a fake ID and I worked as a dishwasher in several restaurants where she waitressed. But I read my Bible often.

When I was 20, I got married and within a year or two, decided to go to the "Catholic" church down the block. I didn't realize it wasn't Catholic, it was Episcopalian. By the end of the first service I realized my mistake, but the people were so nice and "Catholic-like" I decided to return the next week. I wound up spending the next 30 years in the Episcopal faith.

When I was thirty, I became a Sunday School teacher. My kids were all acolytes. Eventually, I was asked by my church to take over as Christian Education Director. I served in that capacity for several years, and my church gave me a terrific award for my service. They had never awarded a C-Ed director before, and I was thrilled that I was so well-loved.

After I turned 50, I started having qualms about my faith. The qualms started after I read the "Left Behind" series, which everyone touted as so wonderful but which disgusted me. I couldn't understand why people loved a series that "godified" riding around in hummers and coming to the little group with suitcase full of money. Not a single "good" person in that series was poor. Also, the way they vilified non-Christians bothered me. All non-Christians, except for a few Jews, were evil. That simply isn't true.

I started reading my Bible much more than ever before. For the first time, I read it cover to cover over the course of several nights without stopping. I had dreams each night that I was in the wrong religion. I had dreams of a jealous, petty god ordering his people, the Israelites, to slash babies' throats. I read more of the Bible, and the more I read, the more I realized that this was not the religion for me. Yet I feared to change. I kept begging God to forgive my doubts, because I was TERRIFIED of Hell. One night, I dreamt of a small child who was burned badly, and when a nun saw her burns, she said to the child, "Be thankful that you are such a good, God-fearing person, or that's what would happen to you forever after you die." When I woke up, I realized that the small child I saw in my dream was me. I was scalded badly as a child, and I even remembered the nun who had said it to me. That's when I knew that I had been brainwashed to fear God, and to fear THINKING. And that's when I stopped fearing my own thoughts, my own beliefs. And I knew I didn't believe in the Bible any more.

Yet through all of that, I could not give up on Jesus. I loved Jesus, and I would keep loving him no matter what. But I wondered how I could reconcile the God I loved with the God depicted in the Bible. I realized I couldn't, because no mainstream religion on Earth has the "right idea" concerning god. God is scattered in grains of truth throughout many, many religions of earth, both mainstream and non-traditional. All religions once drew from the same well of truth, but that well was polluted with so much poison, it is impossible to find an old religion that tells the whole truth now, or even most of it.

When early people saw that religion was polluted, they fell away. Early priests and writers, not God, created Hell and made up rigid rules to avoid it in order to coerce their followers back into belief. Fear is a powerful inducer. If people fell away, they would fail to pay their priests, who would be out of a job, and would lose both wealth and power. The priests couldn't have that, so they had to create fear.

God is not fear. God simply is, and if you choose to believe, if you call upon God and ask for blessings, you can be heard. If you live a good life, you will find the next life builds upon that goodness. If you live a bad life, the next life will build upon that evil. If you choose not to believe, God may not listen to you, but neither will God punish you for it. God is not violence, jealousy or pettiness. He or She does not need the belief of puny humans in order to be great, but priests SURE do! Fear gives them power, or at least it did, until this new generation came along, who are falling away in droves. Fear simply does not compel them as it did their parents.

So, that is why I am no longer a traditional Christian. But in my heart of hearts, I still believe that Jesus came to Earth to teach and help us. His early followers probably couldn't deprogram themselves from their early beliefs, and so they incorporated both old and new religions into one watered-down and mangled message. And they added all the fear that they were raised with. Perhaps there are more than just me who see this, and who return to Jesus' original message, not the Bible fear-mongering, violence and hate. Perhaps one day, religion will truly be borne of love and goodness, not prejudice, fear, exclusivity and an "I'm right and you're going to hell" mentality. JMHO

Out of curiosity, did you marry a non Christian?

I was born a Roman Catholic and raised by parents who are Roman Catholics. I didn't like the Roman Catholic church because of its unbelievable and unsound doctrines/teachings, just like the doctrine of transubstantiation. That's why I left it. I became a nonsectarian Christian for a few months until I finally embraced Deism. That's my story. :)

Bhairava

Was raised Catholic went to church every Sunday and had to go to Sunday school. Realized it was a bunch of fairytales at the age of 8 when contemplating that priests can absolve sin. brb super powers all the sudden and its something intangible, what a coincidence lol. Was a nihilist until 18 then found Sunyavada Buddhism and fell in love since its the religion of nihilism. Found out about Advaita (non duality) and have followed that path ever since. The paths of Advaita are Sunyavada Buddhism, Yogacara Buddhism, Advaita Vedanta, Kashmir Shaivism. I claim Buddhism as my religion to people because its easier to explain instead of trying to explain esoteric teachings to people who have never contemplated reality in their life. At my core Im a follower of Trika Shaivism.

Jemii

What religious background do you come from? Were you raised something other then you are now? Why did you leave it?

If you've remained in it, why? If you ever left it and then returned to it, why?

Feel free to share if you like. I've known some of you on here awhile, and others I'm just meeting, but it'd be interesting to see where you come from.

I'll be sharing too :)

Last time I want to divulge this story as I'm about to discribe: As a baby, baptised Catholic, but my parents never took me to a Catholic Church. My grandma was Catholic and she never took me to her services, she left me alone with my Mom. My mom complained that she, my grandma, never cared to be in my mom's or my own life.

So then My mom did take me to churches, Christian, but they were Protestant. My mom is a Luthern, My grandma is not her mom, My mom's mom is no longer alive, my mom's mom was dead before I was mentally aware of things, I didn't seek faith really till I hit 17 or 18. I have a bad time remember exactly which it was.. my past is so fuzzy/hazy...

Anyways... I been going only to the kid functions of church, mostly sunday school only I think, for most weeks at a time. My mom took me to different buildings, different names.

Then I hit middle school, I attended middle school, I mean. And they offered "After school programs". And it hit me, that what I liked best of Sunday school was the crafts. Which were like the very same thing that I did at the churches. I felt, each time I went, it felt like I liked not hearing about all the Religion stuff at that time. I felt not connected to God at all growing up. I felt I liked not hearing about Jesus.

I somehow worshiped the devil at some point in growing up as a kid... I didn't refer to him as Satan, but it's instilled in me that Satan and the devil are the same, (but now I see in Judaism, they are not and that is so interesting, coming from my background).

I didn't have friends in school after 4th grade, misunderstanding, and I became alone and got used to it. I worshiped the devil in my own way. I did'nt force others to believe in the devil with me, but I had one friend who also wanted to worship the devil with me willingly and we worshiped the way I thought of worshiping the devil. And even Dracula, a vampire. My vampirism took over, till in high school, I switched schools and I was alone there but when other kids in the school found out about my vampirism, they called me a freak and it got me to seeking my own faith, on my own.

That is where I come from.

I seeked at 17 or 18 and picked Islam and read a bunch into it. At 19 I finally got my own Quran and I read it all and I loved it and agreed to it. But I was no where near a Mosque. I had no real Muslim friends. Books got me into the faith, not a person or a group of people. I have strong self-made roots in Islam. I never believed in Jesus. I find it mentally hard to accept Jesus as a prophet even. I feel I was not there, why bother caring what he may have said and done or what he has not said nor done.

So then I moved to find a new lover in USA, because I wasn't that good at keeeping my own chasity in Islam, a guy was into Judaism, he told me and he welcomed my Quran, I brought along. It shows how accepting he was. I didn't get into Judaism for the longest time.. I have such strong Muslim ideas.. But then I got to be a bit interested and read the Torah and found there seems to be simularities, but some differences still... I'm working on more Judaism than Islam... Even though Islam claims it knows the truth about Jews and how they believe... But yet Judaism prevails, thank God.

That's my story, and I don't care to write a book, it's option if any one cares to, but no one has to.. Just it's put there to have others relate to.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I was raised and confirmed as a Catholic. But I've been a devout Pagan for about 8-9 years now :)

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I picked "other" as I wasn't really raised as a Christian or anything else. I became one in my teens with no help from my parents.

I was raised Christian, of the Catholic variety. Most of my family are Christian and have been so for four hundred years as far as we can document. I eventually wavered and left, and (long story short) became Hindu (Gaudiya Vaishnavite sect), and practiced so for about six, seven years... even my legal name now reflects my religious choice!

However, due to some doubts and confusion and my atheistic boyfriend (and spiritual eclectic), I currently am re-exploring Christian spirituality to my present Hindu one. Both of us are part time attendees at the local Unitarian Universalist congregation. Since we both desire to share a spiritual path together (what to speak of eventually settling down), Unitarian Universalism is a good compromise, containing the same values we both share!

Jupimartian

Ex-Protestant Christian
Oh my! That's a lot of Christians! I'm not helping out with the diversity, though.

I was raised Protestant Christian. We bounced around to many different churches so I never committed to a denomination. I stopped believing when I realized I would believe that another (ir)religion was right without a doubt if I had been raised under it. :| I also had issues with other parts, such as absolute morality to promote bigotry, believing non-Christians were evil and deserved hell, and the rejection of science.

I didn't go back because I have no desire to hold one religion's teachings above another's. I'm also not keen on going back to the Christians who think their religion is the only one worth learning about and that all other (ir)religions are dumb.

F0uad

Last time I want to divulge this story as I'm about to discribe: As a baby, baptised Catholic, but my parents never took me to a Catholic Church. My grandma was Catholic and she never took me to her services, she left me alone with my Mom. My mom complained that she, my grandma, never cared to be in my mom's or my own life.

So then My mom did take me to churches, Christian, but they were Protestant. My mom is a Luthern, My grandma is not her mom, My mom's mom is no longer alive, my mom's mom was dead before I was mentally aware of things, I didn't seek faith really till I hit 17 or 18. I have a bad time remember exactly which it was.. my past is so fuzzy/hazy...

Anyways... I been going only to the kid functions of church, mostly sunday school only I think, for most weeks at a time. My mom took me to different buildings, different names.

Then I hit middle school, I attended middle school, I mean. And they offered "After school programs". And it hit me, that what I liked best of Sunday school was the crafts. Which were like the very same thing that I did at the churches. I felt, each time I went, it felt like I liked not hearing about all the Religion stuff at that time. I felt not connected to God at all growing up. I felt I liked not hearing about Jesus.

I somehow worshiped the devil at some point in growing up as a kid... I didn't refer to him as Satan, but it's instilled in me that Satan and the devil are the same, (but now I see in Judaism, they are not and that is so interesting, coming from my background).

I didn't have friends in school after 4th grade, misunderstanding, and I became alone and got used to it. I worshiped the devil in my own way. I did'nt force others to believe in the devil with me, but I had one friend who also wanted to worship the devil with me willingly and we worshiped the way I thought of worshiping the devil. And even Dracula, a vampire. My vampirism took over, till in high school, I switched schools and I was alone there but when other kids in the school found out about my vampirism, they called me a freak and it got me to seeking my own faith, on my own.

That is where I come from.

I seeked at 17 or 18 and picked Islam and read a bunch into it. At 19 I finally got my own Quran and I read it all and I loved it and agreed to it. But I was no where near a Mosque. I had no real Muslim friends. Books got me into the faith, not a person or a group of people. I have strong self-made roots in Islam. I never believed in Jesus. I find it mentally hard to accept Jesus as a prophet even. I feel I was not there, why bother caring what he may have said and done or what he has not said nor done.

So then I moved to find a new lover in USA, because I wasn't that good at keeeping my own chasity in Islam, a guy was into Judaism, he told me and he welcomed my Quran, I brought along. It shows how accepting he was. I didn't get into Judaism for the longest time.. I have such strong Muslim ideas.. But then I got to be a bit interested and read the Torah and found there seems to be simularities, but some differences still... I'm working on more Judaism than Islam... Even though Islam claims it knows the truth about Jews and how they believe... But yet Judaism prevails, thank God.

That's my story, and I don't care to write a book, it's option if any one cares to, but no one has to.. Just it's put there to have others relate to.
This is a very interesting story. :eek:

ZooGirl02

I was raised as a Christian, Southern Baptist specifically. I converted to Roman Catholicism in 2006 which is, of course, Christianity as well.

arhys

I was raised in an entirely secular household. Never baptized or brought to any church growing up.