• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your dietary habits

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What is your general diet? what are the most common ingredients in your everyday meals? is your diet particular to your geographical region? do you adopt the dietary habits of other regions or cultures?

In general I'm following a Mediterranean diet. I eat fresh vegetables with every meal. The most common are tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, peppers, and lettuce. I use olive oil and squeeze lemons for a dressing when eating my vegetables, and occasionally also parsley, coriander, and seeds (for example pumpkin seeds). We also prepare a variety of Mideastern and Mediterranean legume, it can be served hot when we prepare fava beans or cold when we prepare hummus from chickpeas. When in season we also consume avocado on regular basis, and right now they are wonderfully ripe.
I eat salmon fillet on weekly basis and prepare it in the oven, I buy the fish itself fresh in the market instead of frozen. As a side dish I often prepare root vegetables antipasti style in the oven. Things like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, peppers, and eggplants. One of the treats I like doing is to wrap eggplant in tin foil and heat it in the oven, then mix the melted eggplant with homemade tehini.
When we prepare chicken we usually grill chicken breast without using fat, and sometimes we will do chicken curry. We also gradually move to using whole grain rice and whole wheat pasta.
The bread we consume (in moderate quantities) is cereal or rye bread. A variety of yogurts are also commonly consumed and occasionally I drink goat milk.

There are of course many other ingredients and types of food we use and eat, but the above have a strong presence in our daily meals.

What about you?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hit The Golden Corral last night and consumed two plates of everything, including two small steaks--medium rare.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Nothing good, unfortunately.

We eat far too much red meat, potatoes, pastas, and white breads.
But we are trying to make changes. We're adding fish, cutting down on the beef, and we're working on cutting out a lot of the carbs and starches.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't know how to describe my diet. It is fairly consistent and has been for decades.

Most mornings begin with breakfast which consists of a cereal (Raisin bran, cheerios, Shredded Wheat (or porridge in the winter months)). Sometimes this is replaced with 2 slices of toasted grainy bread with great galloping gobs of peanut butter, topped off with thin slices of cucumber and/or sliced banana's. Sometimes I also do fresh pineapple on peanut butter. (100% Natural, crunchy. The peanut butter, that is, not the pineapple.) Cereal days have about 8 oz of milk with them. I don't do goat's milk or milk from wild chimps either... just cow's milk and 1%, at that.

Lunch, or midday meal can range widely. It can be a lovely salad consisting of whatever is handy in the fridge which will likely consist of cucumber, Romain lettuce, mushrooms, radishes etc... Meat is pretty rare for lunch, though I am quite fond of "Stoned Wheat Thins" upon which, you can place virtually anything... as long as one of those things is a slice of cheese... usually Havarti or old cheddar.

One of my best recipes for lunch is a "mock chili" where I use a base of "Pork and beans" (MINUS the icky pork. Rightfully they are labelled beans in tomato sauce. To this I add all the normal elements of a chili sans meat. To give it warmth I add a healthy dose of Medium Salsa sauce. (Pace or Old El Paso, are just dandy.) Add to this a few ounces of maple syrup and you have something worthy of the gods. Honest.

For dinner, I am all over the board. Chicken and pork are prominent on the menu and I BBQ them 365 days a year. My taste in sauces varies considerably, but for the last year features a variety of curry bases, to which, I add other unusual things. The smoking wreckage off my grill is enough to get most mouths watering. One of my best features is a pork tenderloin strip which is out of this world.

Fresh veggies are always also prominent and vary with season. I am also a bit of a rice fanatic and use only white Basmati. Veggies are never boiled, but are steamed till just tender, but still with a bit of crunch.

I also make world famous omelets for dinner. My latest kick is a hog fest that features sauteed shrimp with an assortment of fresh veggies, usually topped off with grated cheese (Asagio, Havarti, cheddar etc... whatever strikes my mood.)

That said, I am an excellent cook, by all accounts but would never think of cracking open a recipe book. I simply roll ideas around in my head and come up with whatever comes up. Clients at Chez Ymir rarely come away disappointed.

I am far to eclectic to cover all the things I will conjure up, but am willing to try BBQing anything that once moved... even veggies (OK, OK... some veggies sway a bit,)

My signature creations are: Spaghetti - which is, simply put, other-wordly. Chili, which I call "Nuclear Chili", because it is so hot that it glows in the dark. Omelets of any kind. Soup creations that would make a chicken rendered down to stock - proud. And on and on... Speaking of which - it's breakfast time.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
My diet is pretty horrific at the moment...lots of packet foods pretty much. Trying to change this to something that represents the actual food pyramid we are meant to follow :/

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mine has changed over the last 12 years or so from a fairly unhealthy diet, to vegetarianism, to veganism, to vegetarianism again, to pescetarianism, to conscious omnivorism.

I primarily eat:
-raw, steamed, or stir-fried vegetables, seasonal and local when possible
-fruits and berries, seasonal and local when possible
-rice, quinoa
-almonds, walnuts, lentils, other beans, some tofu
-oven-baked wild-caught sockeye salmon, some other fish, some mussels
-oven-baked local organic chicken
-coconut oil, olive oil
-spices and herbs
-dark chocolate
-water, green tea, organic whole milk, red wine

I focus on eating whole foods with minimal or no processing, eat local and organic when possible, keep carbs fairly low, minimize dairy, and try to get good fats and enough protein.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Living in Australia, like many other countries in the modern world, means that I have access to pretty much any food you can think of. Australians tend to favour Italian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Mexican and Turkish food.

My staple is bread and rice, accompanies by plenty of veges. I also eat a lot of cheese, a fair amount of yogurt, and lots of salads.

As a vegetarian I make sure I have legumes and soy products.

My favourite food is Italian and Indian.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Mine has changed over the last 12 years or so from a fairly unhealthy diet, to vegetarianism, to veganism, to vegetarianism again, to pescetarianism, to conscious omnivorism.

I primarily eat:
-raw, steamed, or stir-fried vegetables, seasonal and local when possible
-fruits and berries, seasonal and local when possible
-rice, quinoa
-almonds, walnuts, lentils, other beans, some tofu
-oven-baked wild-caught sockeye salmon, some other fish, some mussels
-oven-baked local organic chicken
-coconut oil, olive oil
-spices and herbs
-dark chocolate
-water, green tea, organic whole milk, red wine

I focus on eating whole foods with minimal or no processing, eat local and organic when possible, keep carbs fairly low, minimize dairy, and try to get good fats and enough protein.

I wish I could eat like this!

Treks

Breakfast:
On weekdays I have just under 1 cup of cereal (at the moment I'm having Uncle Toby's Antioxidant +) with rice milk. My mouse gets some cereal and my dog gets the last of the rice milk in the bowl.
On weekends I usually have 2x white bread toasted with Nuttelex (dairy-free margarine) and Vegemite (a black, vegetarian spread made of yeast extract, fortified with B-group vitamins).
Sometimes I have eggs on toast drizzled with Bragg's All-Purpose Seasoning.

Lunch:
On weekdays commonly a salad made with something green.. lettuce, bok choy, alfalfa sprouts... cucumber, tomato and capsicum with... today I have olives, semi-dried tomatoes, asparagus, celery and fake ham. Usually I have chickpeas instead of the ham. I also have a salad dressing.
On weekends I have whatever is around, if I have lunch at all. This could be more toast, or a vegetarian pasty, or 2 minute noodles (>.<) or often just a packet of chips and M&Ms or something. Terrible!

But on Sunday it's usually langar at Gurdwara yeah!! :D

Dinner:
Weekdays...
I've been trying to lose some weight, so usually it's a vegetarian patty of some kind (lentil, chickpea, fake meat) with a packet of steamed veges and some sweet chilli sauce.
When I'm stressed I'll add some vegan cream cheese (made with savoury yeast flakes and Nuttelex).
When I'm really stressed I'll add an egg.
Sometimes I'll add real cheese.

When I'm too lazy and I've run out of food I'll have bread with fried onion and tomato sauce (pretend I'm at a sausage sizzle minus the sausage).

Sometimes I'll make "Mexican chickpeas" and have them with salas, salsa and rice. Sometimes I make daal.

Weekends I'll usually make something more fun, like try a new Indian recipe, or cook a stir-fry, or bake some pretzels or pizza, or make falafel.

Snacks:
Weekdays I don't usually have snacks.
Weekends I eat whatever is in my line of sight. Yesterday I ate an entire 200g box of Tiny Teddies - oops. Did I say I'm trying to lose weight? Oh my!

Beverages:
Coffee on weekday mornings, tea throughout the day, soy hot chocolate sometimes from the coffee van. Chocolate Quick with rice milk for dessert usually. Water at all other times. Kicked the booze habit again a couple of weeks ago - Guruji is more important to me than a bottle of Southern Comfort. :)

Last edited:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Our diet, most of the time, is similar to that of Japanese but with a vegetarian leaning (not 100%). We have fish and seafood but often that's limited to weekends. My husband is not veg and I like the taste of meat so I can have days of weakness. I try to stick to it the best I can though. So anyway as you can imagine it involves a lot of rice and some noodles sometimes.

I try to have more veg, I do not have dairy (except for cheese, once in a while) since I have a mild intolerance and I like to have nuts and dried fruits as snacks. We never buy snack foods (like crisps) or desserts. I have home made dessert once a month.

I tend to think we eat well, limit (but not completely cut out) junk foods but I tend to eat too much. Portion sizes is an issue for me.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I eat a bit of everything. Ain't picky or fancy.

Breakfast: PB&J (Jiffs Natural Creamy, homemade Strawberry Jam), or Yogurt and Cereal w/o milk (Cinnamon Life, Raisin Bran, Cheerios-- Apple Cinnamon or Honey Nut, and Strawberry Shredded Wheat being my faves), or my newest creation: 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, chopped up with 2 sausage links and nuked for a half a minute with about 2 TB of gardiniera. Today I added cheese and spinach. It's heavenly.

Midday Snack: A small glass of chocolate soy milk. Perfect to tide you over.

Lunch: Leftovers, with a fruit and chips (Lime Tostitos or Doritos are my faves). If no leftovers, PB&J or my favorite: deconstructed sandwich: A couple of slices of lunchmeat and cheese, with carrot and/or celery sticks, and spinach. Wrap lunchmeat or cheese around veggies and dip in ranch-and-sriracha sauce.

Dinner: I usually make one big meal a week and then feast off of this for the following days. It's usually solid midwestern fare: Cheesy chicken broccoli casserole, over rice. Black Bean Enchiladas. Tacos. I just made stuffed bell peppers. Italian dishes, like stuffed shells or lasagna. Cheddarwursts with a side of veggies (broccoli rules) and a potato or rice. Chili (I make a traditional chili mac and a vegetarian chili that is my pride and joy). Shepherd's pie. Stew.

My One Big Meal is supplemented as needed by smaller, quick-to-make stuff like spaghetti, or flavored rice with scrambled eggs and veggies, salads (with hard boiled eggs, goat cheese, and tomatos, mMmmm), yes, ramen and mac-n-cheese too (with weinies and green beans!).

Beverages: Water. I am addicted to the stuff. My trusty lime green Contigo goes with me everywhere. I will drink other things on occasion, notably beer, arnold palmer, and milk. (I consider my chocolate soy milk food.)

Desserts: I like to bake. Cookies, brownies, pies. But lately, I've just been on a milkshake kick.

Last edited:

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Meh. My diet has changed over the years mainly due to my fiancial troubles. When I make money I eat well. We eat only whole wheat pasta/bread. I attempt to eat all organic meats. Lean beef if I eat beef. Turkey, chiken, fish, some pork. We eat a lot of Italian cooking at my place. I personally make goolash, lasagna, mediteranian fish. Then we also make cajun food and carribian food. The only "american" dish we eat a lot of is Ham and cabbage. Oh yes and pizza....that is the remaining excessivly unhealthy food we eat.

satyaroop

daal and rice, very frequently
rice with some other vegetarian curries
chappatis with some vegetables (cooked vegetables indian style with gravy)
sometimes south indian stuff - idlis, dosas, upma

fruit, the mango season is almost over, I had quite a few mangoes this season
apples, pears, guavas very occasionally

that's about it

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Sadly, I load myself on a lot of carbs, fast food and processed stuff due to a general lack of money (in college at the moment). However, when I return from Spain, I'm going to attempt to eat more natural food as well as ease into vegetarianism.

When I'm not eating things that will lead me to a quicker death, I also eat a lot of white and brown rice mixed together and Kimchi.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I toyed with Pescatarianism, then tried the Paleo diet, now I just keep away from most wheat, processed and prepackaged food, and too much beef. I have difficulties with wheat, rice and corn, so it's easy to stay away from.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I eat tomatoes ,oranges,bananas,pineapple ,cantaloupe,avocado,peaches,kiwi,squash (yellow ,zuchinni) ,rice (brown and white) ,apples(not my favorite) strawberries,blue berries,cherries,peaches,potato ,butternut squash ,acorn squash, yucca root,onions (yellow ,white ,and green) mushrooms (all varieties)..sweet potatoes...okra..mangos,grapes(especially like black or red) red bell pepper /green bell pepper..sour dough bread ,sprouted wheat bread rye bread,yogurt,celery ,cucumber,black beans ,red beans ,chick peas ,peanut butter,walnuts,brazil nuts ,almonds..pecans ..egg plant ..chile peppers,jalepenia ...cilantre ..parsley ..basil..lemons,limes,green beans..black eyed peas...oat meal..corn..(on the cob) watermelon...honey dew melon..tangerines ,plums...

Tuna,salmon,eggs..

Avacado oil ,olive oil..

AND PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

robin3

Dallas, i'm moving in with you lol

today, ate too much pasta, missing the oranges, since its out of season. been eating more fruit.... pineapples, bananas, and as healthy fruity drinks when i can