• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your family and religion

Yes Man

Premium Member
All right, a similar thread may have been posted already but I can't find one. And if there is.....well I'll just continue. :slap: How important is it that you and your partner's religion coincide with each other? Must you (or have you) marry someone of the same religion? If you both choose to (or have already) have children would you want them to follow your ideals?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't care what my partner believes, so long as they return the favor. I have no interest in spending the rest of my life with someone who insists on preaching at me.

Booko

Deviled Hen
When my husband and I got married over 2 decades ago, I was a Baha'i and he an agnostic (lapsed Catholic). We did not have a similar religion, but we had very similar values, which I'm sure had a lot to do with our marriage lasting as well as it has.

When children arrive parents who were not terribly interested in religion often get a sudden interest.

My advice for anyone contemplating an interreligious marriage is -- don't let the difference stop you, but explore that area very very carefully.

I know that I was not as able to be as active as I would've like in my own religion because of the difference. It hasn't been a sore spot because I expected that. But imagine what it would've been like if he'd had a religious belief of the exclusive sort? "Hell" would be putting it mildly.

I know one woman who has been married 10 years and will not have children because of her husband's opinion of her faith. She will not have children subjected to daily diatribes about mommy's cultish beliefs, so she simply will not have any.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
my last boyfriend was a Quaker, and our views on pretty much everything were different... sharing faith isn't all that important to me at all, so long as they respect me and i respect them.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I'm not concerned really. My husband is an atheist, and we get on just fine.

When we have children, then we'll discuss what we'll do about religious education. I plan on teaching my children at least some things about my religion, though.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I would not mind marrying someone who is of a different religion than I am, as long as our basic values are the same. If we had children, I think we should teach them many different perspectives and let them decide for themselves which one is best.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I'm theist, my SO is a nontheist. We're both fine with it.

It's my desire that my children can be raised in a UU atmosphere and can freely choose what religious path, if any, they wish to follow. That works out, no problems.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
All right, a similar thread may have been posted already but I can't find one. And if there is.....well I'll just continue. :slap: How important is it that you and your partner's religion coincide with each other? Must you (or have you) marry someone of the same religion? If you both choose to (or have already) have children would you want them to follow your ideals?
For a practicing Latter-day Saint it's very important to marry another practicing Latter-day Saint. Temple marriage is more or less a goal of every LDS child, and only faithful members of the Church can marry in the temple.

I think that, in most cases, the importance of marrying someone who shares your religious beliefs is directly proportional to how important those beliefs are to you. In other words, a baptized but non-practicing Catholic and a baptized but non-practicing Mormon could very well have a great marriage since religion isn't a significant part of either of their lives. On the other hand, I have known of some very successful mixed-faith marriages in which both the man and the woman are very committed to their beliefs. For me personally, it would be hard, but probably not impossible.

Popeyesays

My wife and I got to kn9w each other as she interviewed me for a Sociology of Religion class. She had to interview someone who practiced a religion with which she was totally unfamiliar.

We married about a year later and six months after that she became Baha`i of her own volition.

She posted the paper to the class about the time we married, she had taken an incomplete in the class. Her professor gave her an A for the course and the paper, but told her, her 'professional detachment was shot to hell.'

A Baha`i is free to marry anyone. A Baha`i has an obligation to educate his/her own children in the faith, and can't give that obligation away. But one does not have to educate their child SOLELY as a baha`i. The child can make up his mind when he reaches the age of maturity.

Regards,
Scott

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
All right, a similar thread may have been posted already but I can't find one. And if there is.....well I'll just continue. How important is it that you and your partner's religion coincide with each other? Must you (or have you) marry someone of the same religion? If you both choose to (or have already) have children would you want them to follow your ideals?

It is very important for Latter-Day Saints, only worth members may marry in the temple and eternal marriage is an extremely important part of our religion. Having said that, I know there are mormons who marry outside of the religion but I cannot for the life of me understand why.