• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Quotes

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I want to start a thread about great quotes - and they can come from any media (i.e Songs, Poems, Writings, etc.). I'll start with two of my favorites:

Serious quote:
"There are none so blind, as those who will not see."
Ray Stevens

and one of my favorites in a humorous vein:
"Education is the key to the future - especially if you own a college"
Ed Bluestone (fictional character) - taken from the National Lampoon Encyclopedia of Humor

TVOR

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
"Your silence will not protect you."
Audrey Lourdes

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors...and miss."
Robert Anson Heinlein

Pah

Uber all member
The Voice of Reason said:
I want to start a thread about great quotes - and they can come from any media (i.e Songs, Poems, Writings, etc.). I'll start with two of my favorites:
TVOR

I had one going too but I was the only one posting. I think I'll join this thread.

-pah-

Pah

Uber all member
C'mon Pah - Don't leave us hanging. What have you got in the bag?

TVOR

Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.
- the Duchess of Windsor, when asked what is the secret of a long and happy life.

Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Jane Wagner, (and Lily Tomlin)

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
Chinese Proverb

I have such poor vision I can date anybody.

Garry Shandling (1949 - )

So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work.
Peter Drucker

I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
- Xenocrates

The great tragedy of life is not in unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer.
- F.B. Meyer

An intelligence test sometimes shows a man how smart he would have been not to have taken it.

Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)

A committee is the only known form of life with at least three bellies and no brain.

Robert Anson Heinlein

War is much too serious a matter to be entrusted to the military.
Georges Clemenceau (1841 - 1929)

Lightkeeper

Life is like Value Village, if you go into it looking for something in particular you will come out with nothing, if you go into it looking for nothing in particular, you will come out of it with a cart full of treasures.
Lightkeeper

To care and not to care.
T.S. Eliott

Ceridwen018

"Learning needs an open mind to get in and be lived. Don't close your mind if you don't understand."

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and prove it so."
~Abraham Lincoln

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In our deepest moments, we say the most inadequate things.

-- Edna O'brien

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.

-- Oscar Wilde

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

-- Albert Einstein

Not all who wander are lost.

-- JRR Tolkien

"Ending sentences with prepositions is something up with which I will not put." ~Winston Churchill

At a party, a woman tells him he is drunk: "And you are ugly. But in the morning I'll be sober." ~Winston Churchill

"That board with a nail may have defeated us, but the foolish humans won't stop there. They'll build bigger boards, and bigger nails...soon they'll build a board with a nail in it so big, it will destroy them all! Ahahaha!" ~Kang, from The Simpsons

"This is the most compelling case of false advertising I've seen since my bout against the publishers of 'The Never Ending Story' " ~Lionel Hutz, from The Simpsons

"If I don't save the wee turtles, who will? AAUGH! Save me from the wee turtles! They were too quick for me!!" ~Groundskeeper Willie, covered in biting turtles, from The Simpsons

"I don't get mad, I get stabby." ~Fat Tony, from The Simpsons

"Welcome to Itchy and Scratchy Land, where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Heh, that's possibly go wrong...that's the first thing that's ever gone wrong." ~from The Simpsons

I could do this for pages....

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Sunstone said:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

-- Albert Einstein
My Economics teacher has a poster with that on it! Woo for awesome quotes. :jam:

One of my favorites is a Chinese proverb: "A closed mind is like a closed book; just a hunk of wood."

Ceridwen018

"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can teach him to float on his back and spit water like a fountain, then you've got something."

Ceridwen018

Where in all the world is nobility found without conceit? Where is ther friendship without envy? Where is beauty without vanity? Here one finds gracefulness coupled with power, and strength tempered with gentleness. A constant servant, yet no slave. A fighter, ever without hostility. Our history was written on his back. We are his heirs, but he is his own heritage, the horse.
~H.H. Isenbart, "The Kingdom of the Horse"

Ride your horse as you feel him, provided you were born to =, or over the years have learned to feel. It is the one thing that no book can teach you, no teacher can give you, the one conquest of the laurels which will be entirely yours.
~Jean Froissand, "Classical Horsemanship for Our Time"

The horse is not judged by the saddle.
~German Proverb

God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses.
~R.B. Cunninghame-Graham

I too could go on for pages. ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.

-- Elizabeth Kubler Ross

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

- -Thomas Jefferson

If only one perosn in the world held down a terrified, struggling, screaming little girl, cut off her genitals with a septic blade, and sewed her back up, leaving only a tiny hole for urine and menstrual flow, the only question would be how severely that person should be punished... But when millions of people do this, instead of the enormity being magnified millions-fold, suddenly it becomes "culture", and thereby magically becomes less, rather than more, horrible, and is even defended by some Western "moral thinkers".

-- Donald Symons

All these people talk so eloquently about getting back to good old-fashioned values. Well, as an old poop I can remember back to when we had those old-fashioned values, and I say let's get back to the good old-fashioned First Amendment of the good old-fashioned Constitution of the United States -- and to hell with the censors! Give me knowledge or give me death!

-- Kurt Vonnegut

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Sunstone said:
If only one perosn in the world held down a terrified, struggling, screaming little girl, cut off her genitals with a septic blade, and sewed her back up, leaving only a tiny hole for urine and menstrual flow, the only question would be how severely that person should be punished... But when millions of people do this, instead of the enormity being magnified millions-fold, suddenly it becomes "culture", and thereby magically becomes less, rather than more, horrible, and is even defended by some Western "moral thinkers".
-- Donald Symons
Wow Sunstone - I liked the Vonnegut quote, but I could have done without this one. I agree with the point, but that was a rough way for this guy to go about making it.

TVOR

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Wow Sunstone - I liked the Vonnegut quote, but I could have done without this one. I agree with the point, but that was a rough way for this guy to go about making it.

TVOR
Yes, it shocked me the first time I read it, too. But nothing else I've ever read has brought home to me what's really at stake in female circumcission. My apologies for the harshness of it. Should I edit it out?

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Some Gandhi quotes:

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

"A 'No' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble."

"To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest."

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Sunstone said:
Yes, it shocked me the first time I read it, too. But nothing else I've ever read has brought home to me what's really at stake in female circumcission. My apologies for the harshness of it. Should I edit it out?
Don't you dare! :sarcastic

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Bastet said:
Don't you dare! :sarcastic
I see your point in the Ghandi quotes. Thank you!

Here's a couple of quotes from two of my least favorite politicians:

"Naturally the common people don't want war. It is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along. The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."~ Hermann Goering

"What luck for the leaders that men do not think" ~ Adolf Hitler