• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Gods

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Tell me about the gods you venerate. Do you venerate gods outside your religion? Do you have a primary or patron deity you worship above all others?

I'm curious :)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I put the Egyptian pantheon first of course, most especially Sekhmet and Horus, but I have respect for others.

Ganesh for example has been in my life since I was 14 before even the Egyptian gods were. Shiva also has been around more recently.

I've also venerated Poseidon and other Olympians, but mostly him.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty much your stereotypical tree-hugging dirt worshipper. I work with aspects of nature and the universe directly and in a way that is tailored to my local area. The only local "pantheons" here are Native American, and for various reasons, I choose not to draw from that wellspring. Consequently I don't work with deities that have formal names in older Pagan traditions, and most of the otherworldly denizens I work with are not recognized in Pagan traditions either (with one notable exception).

Because of that notable exception, I've been working/learning more with the Greek pantheon over the past year, but the core of my path is fundamentally unchanged. And I wouldn't say my odd patron is the sort of guy I would worship above all other gods. No way. He's kind of an arsehole. *laughs*

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'd say the closest I can get to the gods (Paganish ones specifically) is taking them symbolically. So I draw from all forms of Paganism, but really I don't think they were meant to be taken symbolically, it just works if they are.

Levite

Higher and Higher
עברי אנכי ואת ה' אלהי השמים אני ירא אשר עשה את הים ואת היבשה׃
"I am an 'Ivri, and I worship YHVH, the God of Heaven, who made the sea and the land." (Jonah 1:9)

Too good an opportunity to resist.

Yeah, seriously though, just Him. The One. No others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Siva, Ganesha, and Murugan. I kind of go in cycles. I don't go outside those three, but will enter a Hindu temple of a different sect, and see whomever is enshrined there as Siva.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Depends on my mood. Sometimes Aesir, sometimes Outer Gods, sometimes personal creations, sometimes Hellenic, rarely Abrahamic.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
עברי אנכי ואת ה' אלהי השמים אני ירא אשר עשה את הים ואת היבשה׃
"I am an 'Ivri, and I worship YHVH, the God of Heaven, who made the sea and the land." (Jonah 1:9)

(Out of curiosity: why 'worship' rather than 'fear'?)

Levite

Higher and Higher
(Out of curiosity: why 'worship' rather than 'fear'?)

In the context of the question being asked in the text, it seems clear that what is being asked is which god Jonah worships; so it would appear that the word yira is being used idiomatically; and so I have translated it.

I am also of the opinion that yira, when used in the context of discussing God, never means "fear," but always something akin to "hold in awe."

I believe that Jehovah God (and secretly, Lord Vishnu) is One God, and that He is the same God in all religions and yet indescribable. He is immanent, transcendent, and transpersonal. :D

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm a polytheist who basically "believes" in all Gods, some as cross-religion/mythology, but my primary ones are Ganesha, Siva, and Kali.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Tell me about the gods you venerate.

Vishnu and His incarnations and regional representations; Shiva; Devi (Divine Mother); Ganesha; Saraswati; Hanuman. They are the primary Hindu deities I worship/venerate, but I also venerate other Hindu deities, and would go to a temple of any other god or goddess.

Do you venerate gods outside your religion?

No, with the possible exception of Guanyin as another form of the Divine and Compassionate Mother.

Do you have a primary or patron deity you worship above all others?

Sri Krishna.

Shuddhasattva

I'm a polytheist who basically "believes" in all Gods, some as cross-religion/mythology, but my primary ones are Ganesha, Siva, and Kali.

I'm with Riverwolf on this one; I believe that the gods are representative of cosmic/natural forces and elements of the psyche. The seers of many cultures clothe divinity in culturally appropriate dressings for a particular time, place and condition.

Insofar as the living lineages pass the transmission of these deity-experiences down, the practices related them are valid, in my opinion. So, I practice Hinduism because I view most of the other Pagan religions as overly reconstructionist having lost essential information, but nonetheless their gods parallel these same cosmic concepts. Shamanism interests me greatly but it is rather inaccessible at present, to most anyway.

As a supreme deity... the One Without a Second by any other name, for me I view Shiva & Shakti most commonly as That, but will acknowledge many others to be different names and forms for the same.

I draw the line at Abrahamism though.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I venerate Jesus (both the carpenter from 2000 years ago and a friend of mine by that name that venerates me in return :D ), Shiva, Krishna and Ganesh.

I´ve venerated Durga, Giriga and Lakshmi , but is not frecuent. It´s just something I´ve done. An probably will do again.

I have also developed this habit of mentaly "namaste :namaste " people when I meet them. Specially if strangers or service people. It reminds me God comes in every form.

And well, by revering God in all this forms, I do also consider it being me revering myself :D

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I have also developed this habit of mentaly "namaste :namaste " people when I meet them. Specially if strangers or service people. It reminds me God comes in every form.

Someday I'll learn how to do that.

Me Myself

Back to my username
It´s a habit. I havent acomplished moksha yet nor everything similar :D

If I do that is because it is a internal exercise to facilitate a comprehension.

Just imagine yourself doing that when you see anyone :).

Sometimes I especially remember it when I am angry at someone or simply don´t understand him/her. That´s also very good.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Actually... now that I remember, I think I got the idea from your sig :D

"Shiva, what will you teach me in this form?" That´s why I usualy mentaly say "Om Namaha Shivaya" instead of "namaste"

You inspired me the idea River :namaste

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Actually... now that I remember, I think I got the idea from your sig :D

"Shiva, what will you teach me in this form?" That´s why I usualy mentaly say "Om Namaha Shivaya" instead of "namaste"

You inspired me the idea River :namaste

Oh. Uh... you're welcome. :eek: