• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your impressions of Paganism?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Paganism? meh, i guess you could say i'm hooked on the stuff :p

there are more widely advertised sections and ways of thinking from within the Pagan community, Pop Wicca being the prime example, and the notion of the "burning times" which can at times give out the impression that modern Paganism is a joke... which can be frustrating at times, but you get over it :)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Paganism? meh, i guess you could say i'm hooked on the stuff :p

there are more widely advertised sections and ways of thinking from within the Pagan community, Pop Wicca being the prime example, and the notion of the "burning times" which can at times give out the impression that modern Paganism is a joke... which can be frustrating at times, but you get over it :)

I don't know if I've asked you this before, but do you think the UK and the US have an equal amount of whacko Pagans? Or, does one of us have more?

And, is Wicca the most popular form there, or is Neo-Druidry at the top? I don't know much of anything about what goes on in UK Pagan circles. :eek:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
I don't know if I've asked you this before, but do you think the UK and the US have an equal amount of whacko Pagans? Or, does one of us have more?

And, is Wicca the most popular form there, or is Neo-Druidry at the top? I don't know much of anything about what goes on in UK Pagan circles. :eek:

we have our share of whacky TV Shamans, Druids and Wiccans... though on the basis that Starhawk was in American, you by default have more whacky ones than we do. :p

most of the real life Pagan communities i have been involved with have been of mixed persuasions... i've found that the popularity of one path over another is irrelevant over here in the real life communities i have been involved with, because the value lies upon Knowledge and Education as opposed to ritual and creed.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
most of the real life Pagan communities i have been involved with have been of mixed persuasions... i've found that the popularity of one path over another is irrelevant over here in the real life communities i have been involved with, because the value lies upon Knowledge and Education as opposed to ritual and creed.
Mike, i've not met that many pagans, but from my experience i would say women are more likely to be Wiccan, while men are more likely to think of themselves as Heathen or Druid. Would you say that is the case?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Mike, i've not met that many pagans, but from my experience i would say women are more likely to be Wiccan, while men are more likely to think of themselves as Heathen or Druid. Would you say that is the case?

not really... i know a fair few male Wiccans and female Heathens, i wouldn't say that one gender favors one path.

Pariah

Let go
What is your general impression of Paganism, either as a whole or individual sects (or both)?

As a descendant of a country containing the last great vestiges of a pagan religion, I have quite a great amount of respect for it. Not only does it represent the strength of the individual to pursue an unfamiliar, largely unfavored, and perhaps reviled path, but it is a return to your roots, a quest that rejuvenates individualism increasingly through higher aspects of understanding.

However, depending on the education of particular groups or individuals, thoughtful theology and epistemology reverts into superstition. This is in no way isolated to pagan paths.

What kind of experiences have you had with Pagans? Have you met Pagans outside the internet, or is your only experience through websites or boards like this one?

Outside of ReligiousForums, none.

Have you ever had the desire to learn about (ancient or modern) Paganism, for any reason?

Hinduism contains a staggering amount of "mythology", having removed nothing and added everything. India publishes a nationally famous comic book series entitled Amar Chitra Katha, which in Sanskrit means "The Eternal Comic Book" or "The Eternal Picture-Story", where many hundreds of stories are culled from scripture and entertainingly put into comic format. It is a staple of any Indian upbringing, on the sub-continent or as part of the diaspora.

In addition to thus, my father, being interested in history and mythology consistently told me stories from the epics, of Socrates, of the Mahabharata and Ramayana, The Iliad, The Odyssey... and I never stopped and continue to read Norse ( I went through a great phrase of extreme fascination with this, learning the Norse script with friends as a secret code for passing notes in class. I was caught once and the teacher didn't know what him.), and Egyptian sources.

Without literalism, the story of a man who succeeds in walking on water, to me, is in no way less chimerical than a chariot flying into space (Hinduism) or parting the Red Sea (Old Testament). I don't enjoy the stories of desert wandering - I don't take them seriously, so, please, tell me a story - I will remember longer and more vividly. In fact, it is because of this that pagan religions utilized this, and Hinduism continues to on a much larger scale to this day.

It was not until I met a particular person in the 11th grade that my interest in Modern Paganism peaked. I will confess - even now, I have little understanding for the generalities, let alone the nuances of Reconstructionist Paths, but that particular person, a compassionate, creative, and smart individual told me about LaVeyan Satanism. I had never understood his reading of The Satanic Bible which ran so contrary to his personality. But after having read it, I defended the Left-Hand Path in class, which I found was actually contained as an esoteric aspect of Tantric Hinduism.

Do you think there is a difference between the ancient Paganism that was... and modern Paganism today?

I tweaked the question.

I have absolutely no doubt that a pagan today (with the exception of Hinduism, perhaps) is not practicing his or her faith in the same manner as their ancestors so many thousands of years ago.

Sonic247

Okay- totally honest based on personal experience, this based only on personal experience- Out of the few pagan people I have known this is the impression I get, for one thing they seem to be looking for an escape: a place to get away from the pain of the world, others are looking for power: they desire to have a mystical experience to set them apart. some are looking for knowledge: they want to find some hidden secret. Pagans are capable of kindness but can also be easily controlled by bitterness which in turn makes them turn more to their art and often for darker puposes. That's my honest opinion.

Smoke

Done here.
My impressions of paganism are almost entirely favorable.

I've known one pagan who was a genuine nutcase, and another who was a racist homophobe, but the rest of the pagans I've known have been intelligent, thoughtful, gentle, earthy, and fun to be around. They've also been respectful of the beliefs and practices of other pagans, though those beliefs and practices are remarkably diverse.

I've seen some nasty pagan sites online, and I've observed that there are pagans who seem out to make a buck as surely as any televangelist, but I don't think these are typical; in fact, pagans -- despite their diversity and lack of any central organization -- seem to police themselves much better than the average religious group.

Diogenes

Most of what I know about Paganism is from books and not personal experience. The best book on ancient Paganism I have found is A History of Pagan Europe by Jones & Pennick. I knew one Pagan in college once, but I later came to the conclusion that she was actually a born again Rastafarian. :)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Most of what I know about Paganism is from books and not personal experience. The best book on ancient Paganism I have found is A History of Pagan Europe by Jones & Pennick. I knew one Pagan in college once, but I later came to the conclusion that she was actually a born again Rastafarian. :)

Oh, how is that book? I have to write a review of a handful of books, and that one is on the list of possibilities. Did you find it at all dry, or historically inaccurate? Are there footnotes? I love footnotes. :)

Diogenes

Oh, how is that book? I have to write a review of a handful of books, and that one is on the list of possibilities. Did you find it at all dry, or historically inaccurate? Are there footnotes? I love footnotes. :)

I found it to be very enjoyable-acedemic, but not dry. It had many footnotes and seemed to be accurate enough. Highly reccommended!:cool:

PyroPathos

Pre-initiate Wiccan
Wow. Wow wow wow. What a generally positive thread. I am so shocked and pleased =)

I haven't come across a single post of blind hate in this place yet. (Maybe that's because hate-filled rants get deleted... I'm a brand-new member, not sure how things work here just yet XP) I really am happy though, being Wiccan.

It's good to see that, although some people have run into the "blaaargh I'm anti-Christian and oh-so-mysterious" brand out there, a vast majority have encountered the chill, peaceful bunch that I know and strive to be. I'm SO GLAD we're making some kind of good impression on people of differing beliefs ^_^ You guys made my day.

I am sorry if this seems offensive. But what/is it a religion that believed seperate gods, different beings, not connected? God of water, earth, fire etc.? It was brought to ruins by romans? Emperor Constatine.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
I am sorry if this seems offensive. But what/is it a religion that believed seperate gods, different beings, not connected? God of water, earth, fire etc.? It was brought to ruins by romans? Emperor Constatine.

that wasn't religion, that was politics.

Edit: i don't think i understand your post... as you asking how the religions survived Constantine' changing the state religion?

gnomon

What is your general impression of Paganism, either as a whole or individual sects (or both)?
I hold the same respect towards Paganism that I do towards all other religious beliefs.

What kind of experiences have you had with Pagans?
My first experience with Pagans was quite negative. Most of them wore black, any old idea was accepted as valid and they were the most judgmental people I'd ever known. I think they qualified as what you would term fluffy bunnies as well. It took forums such as these to find people with genuine involvement in Paganism rather than just being spiteful towards the mainstream.

Have you met Pagans outside the internet, or is your only experience through websites or boards like this one?
The first Pagans I met were well before I started using internet forums.

Have you ever had the desire to learn about (ancient or modern) Paganism, for any reason?
Only in historical context. Of course, I badger a coworker of mine all the time about her Pagan beliefs. To the point where she actually thought I was a Wiccan and seemed surprised when I told her I was an atheist.