• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Paranormal/Magical Experiences

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Here's one I shared on this forum recently. As you probably didn't see it, I'll repost it here:

My disappearing/reappearing to-do list

I keep a running to-do list all the time in my front pants pocket. I am obsessive about it. Anyway on Friday morning September 29, 2023 it was nowhere to be found. I knew it was safe and sound in my home on Thursday night because the last thing before going to bed I wrote on it to buy mouthwash. Not finding it in its usual place and after extensive searching including even checking garbage cans. I gave up. On Monday October 2, it showed up in the exact spot it was supposed to be in my front pants pocket that had been searched thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly). I was grabbing my new list to add an item and pulled out the old one by surprise. To me this was a perfect zero percent chance of me just missing it exactly in its expected location. I live alone and no pets beyond an aquarium.

I read on the forums I visit many stories of things disappearing and then being found in exactly the location where they were last placed. Of course I half-believe and half say ‘ya, ya, ya……’ like you are probably doing with me. I do believe this in the repertoire of the spirit world.

But here’s where my story gets deeper. On Thursday September 28, 2023 I was the victim of an online scam. A clever scam where I thought I was talking to PayPal (a legitimate company that I do financial business with) but in reality it was an overseas scammer that really wasn’t PayPal. In correcting a situation I was scammed out of a very substantial amount of money. I won’t go into the complicated details. Point is when I went to bed on Thursday night I did not know this was a scam and I HAD A NOTE ON THAT VERY TO-DO LIST TO SEND THEM AN ADDITIONAL VERY SUBSTANTIAL SUM. On Friday morning I just grew suspicious and called the real PayPal and determined this was all a scam.

Now the physical paranormal event (disappearing/reappearing to-do list) I am 100% sure happened. Any further meaning behind this can only be my honest speculation. My late dad was always the financial astute and interested person in my family. I am actually very financially comfortable to this day not because of my brains, savvy or effort but because of my dad. I believed very strongly that he has been a very active involved spirit already since his death and was always very concerned and involved with financial things when alive.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Allow me to share a second one that has a possible religious meaning:

A few decades back now I had an intense interest in the paranormal but very little spiritual understanding from the eastern (India) spiritual traditions. Hinduism was nothing more than an odd ball of confusion in my western mind. At a bookstore I read about a two sentence long message about a Guru in India that is supposedly surrounded by many miracles. I put that name 'Sai Baba' in the back of my mind at that point. During my next trip to my local library I browsed the biography section under 'B' for 'Baba' and ended up coming home with the book 'The Holy Man and the Psychiatrist'. That was the beginning of everything eastern and Sai Baba for me.

Now, for the strange (miraculous?? part). Some time later (maybe a year or two) I went back to that library and couldn't find the book. I did a fairly exhaustive search of their records and catalogs and could find no indication that the book exists or ever existed at that library. I really doubt such a new book was dropped by the library when they have books with an inch of dust on them there forever. (Now, to be honest, I can never claim with proof that I am not mistaken in some way and that this all doesn't have a 'normal' explanation, but on this case a paranormal explanation certainly seems to make the most sense and I’ve gone back to that library multiple times). But I can't help but think of how Sai asks that he not be proselytized and that he can reach each person who is ready without our help. Why did I find that book at that library that now supposedly does not exist there?

The Dreamer

Dreamer
Here's one I shared on this forum recently. As you probably didn't see it, I'll repost it here:

My disappearing/reappearing to-do list

I keep a running to-do list all the time in my front pants pocket. I am obsessive about it. Anyway on Friday morning September 29, 2023 it was nowhere to be found. I knew it was safe and sound in my home on Thursday night because the last thing before going to bed I wrote on it to buy mouthwash. Not finding it in its usual place and after extensive searching including even checking garbage cans. I gave up. On Monday October 2, it showed up in the exact spot it was supposed to be in my front pants pocket that had been searched thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly). I was grabbing my new list to add an item and pulled out the old one by surprise. To me this was a perfect zero percent chance of me just missing it exactly in its expected location. I live alone and no pets beyond an aquarium.

I read on the forums I visit many stories of things disappearing and then being found in exactly the location where they were last placed. Of course I half-believe and half say ‘ya, ya, ya……’ like you are probably doing with me. I do believe this in the repertoire of the spirit world.

But here’s where my story gets deeper. On Thursday September 28, 2023 I was the victim of an online scam. A clever scam where I thought I was talking to PayPal (a legitimate company that I do financial business with) but in reality it was an overseas scammer that really wasn’t PayPal. In correcting a situation I was scammed out of a very substantial amount of money. I won’t go into the complicated details. Point is when I went to bed on Thursday night I did not know this was a scam and I HAD A NOTE ON THAT VERY TO-DO LIST TO SEND THEM AN ADDITIONAL VERY SUBSTANTIAL SUM. On Friday morning I just grew suspicious and called the real PayPal and determined this was all a scam.

Now the physical paranormal event (disappearing/reappearing to-do list) I am 100% sure happened. Any further meaning behind this can only be my honest speculation. My late dad was always the financial astute and interested person in my family. I am actually very financially comfortable to this day not because of my brains, savvy or effort but because of my dad. I believed very strongly that he has been a very active involved spirit already since his death and was always very concerned and involved with financial things when alive.

I heard that disappearing and reappearing objects are a well known kind of paranormal event. Your experience was even more paranormal.

I hope you get your money back.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think everyone had these kind of experiences at some point in their lives, even the all-wise materialistic people but we tend to ignore and forget these kind of experiences because these don't fit to our perspective of mundane reality . So what are your paranormal experiences?
I don't ignore or forget what you might call "paranormal", I just file them under "unexplained".

One event was in my adolescent years. Like many do at that age we experimented with ESP, in our case with a 32 cards Skat deck. The results were only slightly above the expected hits. But when we reviewed the notes we noticed that I had a perfect streak of guessing the colour (red/black) though neither suits nor values were extraordinary (that's why we didn't notice it at the time).
In statistics this is called the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy, looking for patterns in a pile of data that wasn't collected for that purpose.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've had a few "ordinary" ones. I mean that to me they are perfectly normal and should be taken as such and not as something special.

When one of our dogs passed, she came into the living room after we got home. We stared at each other with a sense of peace and then she vanished.

My father-in-law spent his last days with us. The couple of days before he passed, there were a person in the room waiting for him. I did not see that person but I knew they were there due to the strong sense of presence.

Someone I knew in India "flew" past me saying "I go to God" one night while I was "asleep". I found out later that was the time she passed and I had not known she was sick.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think everyone had these kind of experiences at some point in their lives, even the all-wise materialistic people but we tend to ignore and forget these kind of experiences because these don't fit to our perspective of mundane reality . So what are your paranormal experiences?
I'd say the mandala effect has proven interesting enough to pique my interest in the phenomenon.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I've been meaning to write about mine for some time, maybe I'll do that soon.

- Grew up in a haunted house with tons of activity to this day. Dozens of people have had experiences there.

- Worked in a haunted theater built on top of an Indian burial ground (not joking). All sorts of stuff from footsteps and shadows to literal bats and black mold.

- Have seen skinwalkers including a few convincing videos. Have been chased by the local native boogeyman on two separate occasions.

- Summoned nature spirits with friends who essentially partied with us. Actually not one of these haunting was isolated or just happened to me BTW each has witnesses.

- Built an altar while camping which caused a timely glitch in a picture.

I'm sure there's more. In my family and friends group the acceptance of the paranormal is very casual.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I shared this one in @George-ananda 's thread. Its one of my more lighthearted experiences:

Our most notable 'someone moved that' moment was with a beer. My husband bought me one. It was thoughtful, but I didn't want it. But, I didn't want him to know that... so I took it and tucked it next to the bookshelf next to my chair; I figured I'd stuff it in the fridge the next morning.

But it wasn't there the next morning. I asked him if he'd taken it, admitting I hadn't drank it. He seemed a little irritated that I'd rejected his token of affection, and said no, he hadn't. Well, where did it go, then? I was concerned; it was a colorful can and I didn't want the kids thinking it was a drink for them or anything. He was, too, and we turned the house upside down looking for it.

We have an attic that we use for spiritual/occult purposes, with a history of 'paranormal' activity. Its always kept locked, with an old skeleton key. The door isn't opened frequently, so there's usually 'stuff' in front of it. After looking for about half an hour, the attic popped into my head. I told him to go get his key(only he has a key for it), and to check the attic. He thought I was nuts, but did it anyways. Then I heard a bunch of hollering... I went to see what he was carrying on about. There was my beer, perfectly centered at the top of the stairs.

There have been other things that have happened, but this was my favorite(though not my most extreme).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't tend to characterize my experiences as "paranormal" because it is within the context of a religious tradition. That said, mystical, otherworldly, religious, magical experiences are pretty much inherent to practicing a mystery tradition so these things happen on a relatively routine basis. I don't hold a perspective that there is a "mundane" reality - the sacred is all around us, all the time, but modern domesticated humans often forget the inherent magic and the meaningfulness that emerges from deeper or more observant relationships with nature.

In Druidry, a lot of my experiences focus around following the flow of inspiration or divine spirit, called Awen. It's hard to describe, but it's more or less being in tune with those moments when something greater is nudging you to explore and experience something. Over the past moonth, there've been multiple nudges about a certain book and when it came up again yesterday I finally threw my hands up in the air and said "okay, I get it - this is a sign! I'll drive to the bookstore TODAY and buy it!" Which I did. We'll see where things go from there. I suspect it's going to relate to some of the closing work of the Ovate Grade, but if I've learned anything walking this path it is to be cautious with expectations.

The Dreamer

Dreamer
I've been meaning to write about mine for some time, maybe I'll do that soon.

- Grew up in a haunted house with tons of activity to this day. Dozens of people have had experiences there.

- Worked in a haunted theater built on top of an Indian burial ground (not joking). All sorts of stuff from footsteps and shadows to literal bats and black mold.

- Have seen skinwalkers including a few convincing videos. Have been chased by the local native boogeyman on two separate occasions.

- Summoned nature spirits with friends who essentially partied with us. Actually not one of these haunting was isolated or just happened to me BTW each has witnesses.

- Built an altar while camping which caused a timely glitch in a picture.

I'm sure there's more. In my family and friends group the acceptance of the paranormal is very casual.
Witnessing so much paranormal events while being a magician (I assume you are, looking at your title) must be cool :smilingimp:

The Dreamer

Dreamer
Allow me to share a second one that has a possible religious meaning:

A few decades back now I had an intense interest in the paranormal but very little spiritual understanding from the eastern (India) spiritual traditions. Hinduism was nothing more than an odd ball of confusion in my western mind. At a bookstore I read about a two sentence long message about a Guru in India that is supposedly surrounded by many miracles. I put that name 'Sai Baba' in the back of my mind at that point. During my next trip to my local library I browsed the biography section under 'B' for 'Baba' and ended up coming home with the book 'The Holy Man and the Psychiatrist'. That was the beginning of everything eastern and Sai Baba for me.

Now, for the strange (miraculous?? part). Some time later (maybe a year or two) I went back to that library and couldn't find the book. I did a fairly exhaustive search of their records and catalogs and could find no indication that the book exists or ever existed at that library. I really doubt such a new book was dropped by the library when they have books with an inch of dust on them there forever. (Now, to be honest, I can never claim with proof that I am not mistaken in some way and that this all doesn't have a 'normal' explanation, but on this case a paranormal explanation certainly seems to make the most sense and I’ve gone back to that library multiple times). But I can't help but think of how Sai asks that he not be proselytized and that he can reach each person who is ready without our help. Why did I find that book at that library that now supposedly does not exist there?

I don't ignore or forget what you might call "paranormal", I just file them under "unexplained".

One event was in my adolescent years. Like many do at that age we experimented with ESP, in our case with a 32 cards Skat deck. The results were only slightly above the expected hits. But when we reviewed the notes we noticed that I had a perfect streak of guessing the colour (red/black) though neither suits nor values were extraordinary (that's why we didn't notice it at the time).
In statistics this is called the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy, looking for patterns in a pile of data that wasn't collected for that purpose.

I've had a few "ordinary" ones. I mean that to me they are perfectly normal and should be taken as such and not as something special.

When one of our dogs passed, she came into the living room after we got home. We stared at each other with a sense of peace and then she vanished.

My father-in-law spent his last days with us. The couple of days before he passed, there were a person in the room waiting for him. I did not see that person but I knew they were there due to the strong sense of presence.

Someone I knew in India "flew" past me saying "I go to God" one night while I was "asleep". I found out later that was the time she passed and I had not known she was sick.

I shared this one in @George-ananda 's thread. Its one of my more lighthearted experiences:

Our most notable 'someone moved that' moment was with a beer. My husband bought me one. It was thoughtful, but I didn't want it. But, I didn't want him to know that... so I took it and tucked it next to the bookshelf next to my chair; I figured I'd stuff it in the fridge the next morning.

But it wasn't there the next morning. I asked him if he'd taken it, admitting I hadn't drank it. He seemed a little irritated that I'd rejected his token of affection, and said no, he hadn't. Well, where did it go, then? I was concerned; it was a colorful can and I didn't want the kids thinking it was a drink for them or anything. He was, too, and we turned the house upside down looking for it.

We have an attic that we use for spiritual/occult purposes, with a history of 'paranormal' activity. Its always kept locked, with an old skeleton key. The door isn't opened frequently, so there's usually 'stuff' in front of it. After looking for about half an hour, the attic popped into my head. I told him to go get his key(only he has a key for it), and to check the attic. He thought I was nuts, but did it anyways. Then I heard a bunch of hollering... I went to see what he was carrying on about. There was my beer, perfectly centered at the top of the stairs.

There have been other things that have happened, but this was my favorite(though not my most extreme).

I don't tend to characterize my experiences as "paranormal" because it is within the context of a religious tradition. That said, mystical, otherworldly, religious, magical experiences are pretty much inherent to practicing a mystery tradition so these things happen on a relatively routine basis. I don't hold a perspective that there is a "mundane" reality - the sacred is all around us, all the time, but modern domesticated humans often forget the inherent magic and the meaningfulness that emerges from deeper or more observant relationships with nature.

In Druidry, a lot of my experiences focus around following the flow of inspiration or divine spirit, called Awen. It's hard to describe, but it's more or less being in tune with those moments when something greater is nudging you to explore and experience something. Over the past moonth, there've been multiple nudges about a certain book and when it came up again yesterday I finally threw my hands up in the air and said "okay, I get it - this is a sign! I'll drive to the bookstore TODAY and buy it!" Which I did. We'll see where things go from there. I suspect it's going to relate to some of the closing work of the Ovate Grade, but if I've learned anything walking this path it is to be cautious with expectations.
These are pretty strong experiences. I wasn't expecting this much. Thanks for sharing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed, and they helped win me over to esotericism.
Indeed. Some of the "weirder" stuff I don't tend to really talk about. There's a lot of journeywork I've done in the otherworlds and that stuff can get... interesting. Sure, I can still rationalize it away if I wanted to like some folks do, but... it gets much, much harder to justify that the more experiences you have.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
My mom swears that years back while traveling she was staying at a motel and sometime during the night she woke up and in the dark saw a shadowy mass "standing" at the foot of her bed, and after a few moments it began to silently glide around and up along the side of the bed toward her. She quickly turned the lamp on and there was nothing there.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I've been able to visually see, mentally visualize, audibly hear, verbally communicate with, and feel the presence of earthbound human spirits since I was six years old. I have also seen angelic spirit guides, animal spirits, elemental spirits, an entity that I'm not sure what it was, and more recently, a shadow person. In addition to being a psychic medium and a sensitve, I am also an empath and an HSP. I can also see the auras of other people in vivid colors.