• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your religious beliefs are probably wrong

serp777

Given that so many different religions exist, many of which are mutually exclusive, and most claim they contain the truth of reality, the odds aren't in your favor that you picked the right religion. This is based on pure statistical analysis, and that's assuming that one religion we have is actually correct.

Most religious beliefs corresponds with geography--a religion based on truth shouldn't depend on where you're born. Islam will obviously correspond with the middle east and Christianity can be frequently found in the States.

There have also been countless religious frauds that try to take advantage of people and make money/ manipulate people with religion. Even if a religion happened to be correct at some point, its very possible that respective religion has been polluted so much over time, like telephone, that the religion doesn't even resemble anything like what it started out as. For example the original teachings of Jesus Christ vs the modern catholic faith which includes the pope and hundreds of rituals, and the various Xian sects.

Its one thing to argue that a deism God exists as a kind of philosophical entity, but its another to show that there is an intervening God who cares about what we do with our genitals and what we do with our Sundays, and wants to have an individual relationship with people. Most of the arguments given by people of faiths are all identical to each other which I find to be an amusing reflection that there aren't many good arguments beyond those for deism.

As fo religions like Buddhism and Hinduism, even though I consider Buddhism to resemble more of a philosophy, I haven't seen any convincing evidence of reincarnation or multiple Gods.

serp777

So are yours.
What are you talking about? I'm an agnostic.

My position that I don't know is wrong? So you're saying you know that I do know even though I don't know I know?

Also if this is your claim then you agree that your religious belief is probably wrong since you said "so are yours" which implies that you agree yours are wrong?

Thana

Lady
Unless you didn't pick your religion.

'Course then that would make everything you've said pretty much moot.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As fo religions like Buddhism and Hinduism, even though I consider Buddhism to resemble more of a philosophy, I haven't seen any convincing evidence of reincarnation or multiple Gods.

Neither reincarnation nor multiple Gods are Buddhist beliefs. The gods are sort of optional.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What are you talking about? I'm an agnostic.

My position that I don't know is wrong? So you're saying you know that I do know even though I don't know I know?

Also if this is your claim then you agree that your religious belief is probably wrong since you said "so are yours" which implies that you agree yours are wrong?

Not having religious beliefs is having religious beliefs. (about religion). Hence probably wrong, by your own admission.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Religion obeys borders.

You have no reasonable proof that your religion is the true religion over other religions. No reasonable proof whatsoever. Therefore, it is not reasonable that I should be tolerant of your beliefs.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Not having religious beliefs is having religious beliefs. (about religion). Hence probably wrong, by your own admission.

You're wrong in this case. Generally, not having an opinion about something metaphysical = having an opinion about that metaphysical subject.
Or, for example, not having an opinion about pizza does technically mean you have an opinion of pizza.

But in the case of religion, you either have one or you don't. Sure, you may have an opinion, but this is different from holding a religious belief..

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We could also define eating as a religious belief but it wouldn't be useful.
Then what makes you think I have "religious beliefs" in a different manner from the OP? You just assume a perspective, hence, no point, it's meaningless.

WHAT DEFINES 'RELIGIOUS BELIEFS' THEN, AS OPPOSED TO THESE 'OTHER' TYPES OF BELIEFS YOR TALKING ABOUT.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Your religious beliefs are probably wrong

That's probably true. None of us can be certain about anything. As far as I know, I could currently be believing in something totally false. Maybe the Christians are right. Or Muslims. Or Jews. Or Baha'is. Or another stream of Hinduism that I don't practice. Maybe none of us are right and there is nothing beyond this life but oblivion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: what's your point?

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Something not nearly enough people wonder; What if we haven't even been introduced(humanity as a whole that is) to the true religion yet? Or if we were, what if we destroyed all evidence of it at some point in history?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think if you were to approach this not saying "Your beliefs are probably wrong", and say rather "Your beliefs are probably relative", that would be accurate. That would also be accurate with your beliefs as well. To say another's beliefs are "wrong" presumes yours are "right". And that is as much a fallacy on your part as it is of those you point out logically are "wrong" in believing they're "right". In other words, you're doing the exact same thing as them. Change it to "relative", and that is much more true to the reality of things as an objective observer.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Dang - not simply statistical analysis, but "pure statistical analysis." This isn't nonsense; it's pure nonsense.

Well, apparently it is difficult for people to understand religion. Poor topical understanding of a subject seems to translate into equally poor applications of statistical analyses. So much so that statistical analyses can be claimed on faulty premises and without presenting any actual
data.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
You're wrong in this case. Generally, not having an opinion about something metaphysical = having an opinion about that metaphysical subject.
Or, for example, not having an opinion about pizza does technically mean you have an opinion of pizza.

But in the case of religion, you either have one or you don't. Sure, you may have an opinion, but this is different from holding a religious belief..

I think this is a common belief... does anyone else see how weird this is?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
One would be on strong ground to say that no religion can be with out error.
the difficult part is drawing the point on a line between error and truth that represents any particular religion.

We always assume that religions are mutually exclusive, when that is unlikely to be the case.

A god of creation could either create every thing himself or cooperate with other gods to share the work. Though the concept of multiple gods of creatin seem both unlikely and unnecessary.

The romans believed that every place and every action had a ruling god.
A majority of religions today believe that there is a single creator god, however they take the posessive position that this is their god and no other.

It is unlikely in the extreme that every one can be even partly right, there are just too many alternatives to choose from.

I prefer to believe that there is only one creator god, but that there are many ways to serve him. All these ways will contain errors and all can be subject to improvement. All religions must accept that they are in error and seek to improve and correct their structures and beliefs. To have a meaningful future.