• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your religious beliefs are probably wrong

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So you haven't heard about politicians and religious leaders using it to manipulate people? Ill provide historical evidence if you want but i would think you would know it--the pope for instance claimed that sins could be redeemed by fighting in the crusades. Almost 100k crusaders formed and traveled to Constantinople but were then slaughtered by Muslim forces. American politicians now days always have to claim that they're are christian in order to appeal to the masses and get votes.
Boy, you are just winging aren't you. Most crusades like the Reconquista and the people's crusade first had around 30 - 40 thousand men and only started their crusade at Constantinople (which was a Christian city and not attacked by Islam at that time, they went on to defeat the entire coast and took Israel. The actual third crusade referred to as the first composed 100K men but they were not in Constantinople, they were defeated at the horns of Hattin because they marched too far from water on one man's word. I am not going to go through all the crusades but none had 100K (even the 100K I mentioned above had tens of thousands of non-combatants and none were defeated in Constantinople. The loss of Constantinople came after the crusader era and did not have 100K men of any type in it.

Regardless I know very well people distort the bible. But unlike Godless opinion based morality there at least exists a right thing to be distorted. To even begin to have a just moral system we must first have objective moral truths, then we have to work on using those truth to construct laws. Every single group of any kind will pervert any moral foundation but at least with Christianity the foundation is the objective fact to which these people are held responsible. Without God it is juts your opinion versus Hitler with no transcendent truth to judge which opinion is right. And you should know better than to judge a book by those who distort it.

Greatest is just an assertion. Muslims scholars will also confirm that Muhammad is the one true prophet and even rode to heaven on a winged horse. There are also alien abduction experts and ancient alien experts. Just because some guy claims its credible doesn't make it valid.
No, greatest given some parameter to be greatest in is an objective fact. There is a tallest building, there is a heaviest ship, there is a fastest plane. Most legal experts consider either Greenleaf or Lyndhurst to be the greatest experts on testimony and evidence but I did not make that claim (I put that part in parenthesis with and "if") I said they are at least among the greatest and by every single criteria ever used to evaluate that they are. I am not going to take your comparing everything inconvenient for you with aliens. They are not even remotely equal.

Having a lot of religions doesn't really increase the chance they are true just like having a lot of claims about flying teapots doesn't increase the odds that space teapots are true. The number of claims made by people doesn't really increase the probability of something true. If there is an increase in probability it is very low just like the probability for absurd mythological creatures.
I did not say "they", I said "one". It is a fact that the more propositions you have the greater the chance that one is right. Industries and the entire theory of evolution depend on it.

And the reason why it isn't an exact parallel at all is because, for starters, we don't know whether any of them are true, and finding the correct religion isn't easily found, and most religions depend on claims which cannot be shown to be true or false, unlike 1+1 = 2 which can be shown to be true. So if anything this is just a false analogy.
I did not say any of them are true, and I certainly did not say which one was true. I said the more of them we have the greater the chance at least one is true. Analogies are not equalities. It is irrational to use every facet of an analogy and apply it to what it analyzes. Analogies are only equal in the ways they are intended. If I have the equation 1 + 1 = and only have 3 random numbers I probably do not have the right one, but the more I have the greater the chance that I will have the number 2 and have the right answer.