• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your religious beliefs are probably wrong

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Religions make a variety of objective fact claims--"the one true God" is a great example.
No, that's not a fact claim, because there is no evidence to present to state the fact. It's a rather sad example, actually.
Was jesus the son of God? Christianity make the objective factual claim that Jesus is the son of God.
Another subjective truth claim -- not an objective fact claim.
Religion also makes factual claims such as :there is a supernatural world separate from the physical world, that which is beyond natural laws. Are you saying this isn't an objective fact claim? How can you say it isn't?
Because there's no evidence to present to state that as a fact.
And what is a subjective truth claim?
"I love my wife" is a subjective truth claim. Can the speaker prove it? No. There's simply no objective evidence. But to the speaker, it's truth. He loves his wife. It's the same with religious truth claims: "God is love" is a subjective truth claim.

What you're doing is holding religion to some false criterion (making fact claims). Religion simply doesn't work like that, and if you were half as educated as you claim to be, you'd know it and wouldn't propose such silly arguments in the first place. Unless, of course, you're simply trolling.

"My religion" is not "probably wrong" based on the criterion you've provided here, since "my religion" isn't evidence-based.

serp777

No, that's not a fact claim, because there is no evidence to present to state the fact. It's a rather sad example, actually.

Another subjective truth claim -- not an objective fact claim.

Because there's no evidence to present to state that as a fact.

"I love my wife" is a subjective truth claim. Can the speaker prove it? No. There's simply no objective evidence. But to the speaker, it's truth. He loves his wife. It's the same with religious truth claims: "God is love" is a subjective truth claim.

What you're doing is holding religion to some false criterion (making fact claims). Religion simply doesn't work like that, and if you were half as educated as you claim to be, you'd know it and wouldn't propose such silly arguments in the first place. Unless, of course, you're simply trolling.

"My religion" is not "probably wrong" based on the criterion you've provided here, since "my religion" isn't evidence-based.

The fact that they can't provide evidence for those claims doesn't mean they aren't objective facts about reality. parallel universes either exist or they don't even if we could never get evidence for them. The fact that there is evidence or not has nothing to do with the truth of a said claim. You're also assuming there's no such possible evidence. Apparently the bible claims there is--miracles like the resurrection which would classify as evidence in theory. Your absurd counter arguments are simply about semantics. Your education is the clearly one in question.

So I guess by your logic, since there is no evidence to present for parallel universe, it must be a subjective truth. Like loving your wife, the universe must depend on your mood and chemical balance in your brain. you must be trolling right?

"Religion simply doesn't work like that"

Oh, it simply doesn't? According to you. Pretty much no one else has had a problem with objective fact claims made by religion, including religious people.

sojourner

It isn't a red herring because the fact that the bible has changed frequently over the course of the centuries means it isn't as genuine.
Here you go again, creating false criteria for stuff and then dismissing it. The bible is a living collection of texts that have been redacted, compiled, and translated over centuries. It's always been that way, since they first began writing stuff down in the 600s b.c.e. It's a misconception of what the term "canon" is supposed to mean. There simply is no arbitrary standard for "genuineness" as you suppose there is.
It was tailored to fit society and politics at the time
No. It wasn't. At least not as you intimate here. That's Illuminati conspiracy-theory horsespit.
it even says that Constantine literally changed doctrine to reflect compromises between the bishops.
Doctrine and biblical text are two completely different things.
This isn't text directly from Jesus and the apostles--its been modified substantially.
No. It hasn't.
He was arguing that the bible is a completely reliable testament of God's message and my claim was that it wasn't, which means it probably isn't the true word of God, which implies that Christianity probably isn't correct.
The veracity of Christianity isn't based on some arbitrary biblical purity. Or even that the bible is the "true word of God." Christianity was around for 450 years before there was a bible. To claim that "Xy is wrong because the bible has been edited" is worse than infantile. The bible is only one source for the truth claims the church makes.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The chances that you are going to choose the wrong religion are overwhelmingly high and you know it.
No it isn't. Perhaps for you, who it sounds like you would be completely randomly choosing a religion.
This is especially true because no religion actually has any objective evidence that the claims that it makes are factually true.
Says who? That's your perspective.

It isn't impossible that you're going to pick the right religion, any more than it's impossible that you're going to win the lottery 500 times in a row, it's just absurdly unlikely.

Just an awful comparison. Like I would adhere to religious beliefs completely at random?
And while I'm not saying you do this, you have to admit that the overwhelming majority of theists do not claim that they've picked a religion, essentially at random,

Point being? You can assume that, that's just your personal guess.

and are going to take their chances, they state that they have the right religion and everyone else ought to adopt it too.

Your chances of being right are no better than mine. My chances of being right are no worse than yours.
Oh I doubt that, highly. From the way you are talking about religious beliefs, I think my chances of being right are far higher than yours.

However, the chances that *ANYONE* will *EVER* be right are minuscule at best,
Ok cool. Baseless assumption.
especially considering the inordinately high chance that the "right" religion might be something nobody on Earth has ever come up with.
Why? Why assume people can't figure out the right religion? You are making these arbitrary restrictions on how things can be discerned; this isn't reality, your describing what you, personally, don't know.

serp777

Here you go again, creating false criteria for stuff and then dismissing it. The bible is a living collection of texts that have been redacted, compiled, and translated over centuries. It's always been that way, since they first began writing stuff down in the 600s b.c.e. It's a misconception of what the term "canon" is supposed to mean. There simply is no arbitrary standard for "genuineness" as you suppose there is.

No. It wasn't. At least not as you intimate here. That's Illuminati conspiracy-theory horsespit.

Doctrine and biblical text are two completely different things.

No. It hasn't.

The veracity of Christianity isn't based on some arbitrary biblical purity. Or even that the bible is the "true word of God." Christianity was around for 450 years before there was a bible. To claim that "Xy is wrong because the bible has been edited" is worse than infantile. The bible is only one source for the truth claims the church makes.

"The veracity of Christianity isn't based on some arbitrary biblical purity. Or even that the bible is the "true word of God." Christianity was around for 450 years before there was a bible. To claim that "Xy is wrong because the bible has been edited" is worse than infantile. The bible is only one source for the truth claims the church makes."

That makes it even more unreliable! it probably changed during that 450 year period. Also nice strawman. I said that Xy is less genuine, not that it is wrong, because it has been edited. Your use of fallacy is worse than embarrassing.

"The bible is only one source for the truth claims the church makes"
Which all depend on interpretation.

"That's Illuminati conspiracy-theory horsespit."
As opposed to a magical first century jew who existed as a scapegoat to forgive us from non existent sins from a non existent forebearer, in order to save us from himself. I mean religion being created and used as a tool to make money and control peasants isn't exactly unheard of. Remember scientology and Elron hubbard? That's not a conspiracy--its called taking advantage of other people which isn't new.

sojourner

The fact that they can't provide evidence for those claims doesn't mean they aren't objective facts about reality.
It does, actually.
parallel universes either exist or they don't even if we could never get evidence for them.
Right, but if we have no proof or evidence then they can't be said to factually exist.
The fact that there is evidence or not has nothing to do with the truth of a said claim.
Riiiight... and therefore.....
You're also assuming there's no such possible evidence.
When that evidence comes to light, then factual claims can be established. I don't have a problem with that.
Apparently the bible claims there is--miracles like the resurrection which would classify as evidence in theory.
In theory, yes. Unfortunately, we have no hard evidence for that event.
Your absurd counter arguments are simply about semantics.
Absurd? Semantics? I don't think so.
Your education is the clearly one in question.
You have no idea who you're dealing with, do you, Skeezix?
So I guess by your logic, since there is no evidence to present for parallel universe, it must be a subjective truth.
Well, not especially. It's more a hypothesis at this point.
Like loving your wife, the universe must depend on your mood and chemical balance in your brain. you must be trolling right?
Dumbest. Retort. Ever.
"Religion simply doesn't work like that"

Oh, it simply doesn't? According to you.
Actually, according to most (if not all) reputable theologians and scholars.
Pretty much no one else has had a problem with objective fact claims made by religion, including religious people.
I take that back. This statement is the Dumbest. Retort. Ever. Somehow, you Who Evaluates Education keeps topping himself in the "dumb statement department." Because, apparently, all agnostics and atheists do have a problem with the claims made by religion.

Norman

Defender of Truth
I most certainly am. Anyone who makes an argument by just citing mark 8 without any explanation or specific passages and saying you're wrong probably hasn't taken any kind of literature class.

You need to stop using cliches--in early citations i posted that Nicea was in 325 AD but since you don't read the other passages you wouldn't know. Also I only cited people to show that many scholars indicate that the bible was changed for political and societal purposes. I never actually talked about canon or non canon myself. Also you're nitpicking details that aren't relevant to the point i was making. You're basically just committing a red herring really.

Norman: Hi serp777, going back to your post #1 I do not see an intense debate, just someone who truly seems confused. I really feel sorry for you, I am not saying that in a mean way. You don't even see that your going in circles, it seems you are soul searching, God is there, just reach out to him. God Bless you my Agnostic friend and may you find your way one day, Jesus loves you. You are a child of God, this I know.

serp777

Norman: Hi serp777, going back to your post #1 I do not see an intense debate, just someone who truly seems confused. I really feel sorry for you, I am not saying that in a mean way. You don't even see that your going in circles, it seems you are soul searching, God is there, just reach out to him. God Bless you my Agnostic friend and may you find your way one day, Jesus loves you. You are a child of God, this I know.
MAy Allah bless you my friend. May you find your way one day, Mohammad loves you. You are a child of Allah, this I know.

sojourner

That makes it even more unreliable! it probably changed during that 450 year period.
Of course it did! Gospels, letters and apocalypses were written, oral material was compiled, shared, and written down. Additions were made. Books were added and subtracted; this is all well-known.
I said that Xy is less genuine, not that it is wrong, because it has been edited.
Sorry, your writing was unclear at that point; I thought you were talking about the bible. Nonetheless, since Xy is a living religion, change is (and always has been) inevitable. The huge mistake most fundies, as well as yourself, make is to believe that the authenticity of Xy is found in its unchangeability and fidelity to "what happened in the beginning." That's simply not the case. I just don't see how you can make a valid argument that Xy is "less genuine" now than it was in the year 40 c.e. Oh, I forget! You like to hold things to false criteria. My bad!
"The bible is only one source for the truth claims the church makes"
Which all depend on interpretation.
No it doesn't. The church has always depended on extra-biblical writings and oral Tradition, as well as sacred text. None of that is up for "interpretation."
As opposed to a magical first century jew who existed as a scapegoat to forgive us from non existent sins from a non existent forebearer, in order to save us from himself.
Now whose "more-than-embarrassing fallacy" is showing? This is precisely why your whole argument Does. Not. Work. You're insisting on reducing mythic narratives to "unprovable 'fact"" and then dismissing them. Since that has never been the nature of those narratives, your fallacy here is rather akin to attempting to eradicate the flu with a hammer, and then blaming the flu for not being a nail.
I mean religion being created and used as a tool to make money and control peasants isn't exactly unheard of.
More conspiracy theory in the comedic styling of Jesse Ventura, where proto-Xy is concerned.
Remember scientology and Elron hubbard?
No, but I remember Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. "Efron hubbard," indeed! And I'm the one whose education is "in question??!!" Jesus Pete, dude!

serp777

It does, actually.

Right, but if we have no proof or evidence then they can't be said to factually exist.

Riiiight... and therefore.....

When that evidence comes to light, then factual claims can be established. I don't have a problem with that.

In theory, yes. Unfortunately, we have no hard evidence for that event.

Absurd? Semantics? I don't think so.

You have no idea who you're dealing with, do you, Skeezix?

Well, not especially. It's more a hypothesis at this point.

Dumbest. Retort. Ever.

Actually, according to most (if not all) reputable theologians and scholars.

I take that back. This statement is the Dumbest. Retort. Ever. Somehow, you Who Evaluates Education keeps topping himself in the "dumb statement department." Because, apparently, all agnostics and atheists do have a problem with the claims made by religion.

"It does, actually."
It doesn't actually.

"You have no idea who you're dealing with, do you, Skeezix?"
What is skeezix and how is that relevant? Even if I hadn't completed high school and you had a phd in theology, you're implying or at least touching on an argument from authority which certainly doesn't help your argument one bit. It also doesn't make you seem more intelligent or educated because you allege a higher level of education, which may or may not be true.

"Right, but if we have no proof or evidence then they can't be said to factually exist."
Just because we have no proof or evidence doesn't mean something isn't objectively true or not. You're making a leap that something without evidence --> it is no longer an objective fact that can be true or false. And this is a strawman because its not about it factually existing--its about the fact that it can either be true or false. it can be an objective fact just means that it could be true or false since we don't have evidence either way.

" Somehow, you Who Evaluates Education keeps topping himself in the "dumb statement department." "
Coming from the person who has committed a variety of strawmans previously and other egregious argumentative fallacies. Although I could have worded this a lot better it means that no one else has had a problem with religions being able to make/allege objective factual claims that are either true or false, but not yet determined by an outside observer without faith. You could have thrown me a bone there; you should have known what I meant. I mean i would have given you some slack if you had written something ambiguous.

"Dumbest. Retort. Ever."
Worst rebuttal ever.
When in doubt make a sweeping statement with a few periods. Since a parallel universe has no evidence and it is unlikely we will ever have evidence for it, it means that it isn't an objective fact, which you implied is therefore a subjective truth like loving your wife. So since loving your wife depends on cognitive processes, then why wouldn't another subjective truth of parallel universes also depend similar congitive processes? Also can you please explain how you know something without evidence necesserily means it is a subjective truth? It seems like another big leap. And no cop out answers like "some theologians say so", or "Mark 9 rebuttals your argument."

"Actually, according to most (if not all) reputable theologians and scholars."
LOL, not at all. Many philosophers,a variety of theologians, physicists, and mathematicians claim that many things are either true or false, even without evidence. It doesn't become subjective just because you don't have evidence. Regardless, your alleged argument from popularity doesn't support your assertion whatsoever. Just because you think some theologians think so doesn't make it true.

Furthermore you didn't address that the bible claims that miracles occurred for instance, which would constitute as discernible evidence since it could be monitored as breaking the laws of physics and thus being supernatural.

sojourner

"It does, actually."
It doesn't actually.

"You have no idea who you're dealing with, do you, Skeezix?"
What is skeezix and how is that relevant? Even if I hadn't completed high school and you had a phd in theology, you're implying or at least touching on an argument from authority which certainly doesn't help your argument one bit. It also doesn't make you seem more intelligent or educated because you allege a higher level of education, which may or may not be true.

"Right, but if we have no proof or evidence then they can't be said to factually exist."
Just because we have no proof or evidence doesn't mean something isn't objectively true or not. You're making a leap that something without evidence --> it is no longer an objective fact that can be true or false. And this is a strawman because its not about it factually existing--its about the fact that it can either be true or false. it can be an objective fact just means that it could be true or false since we don't have evidence either way.

" Somehow, you Who Evaluates Education keeps topping himself in the "dumb statement department." "
Coming from the person who has committed a variety of strawmans previously and other egregious argumentative fallacies. Although I could have worded this a lot better it means that no one else has had a problem with religions being able to make/allege objective factual claims that are either true or false, but not yet determined by an outside observer without faith. You could have thrown me a bone there; you should have known what I meant. I mean i would have given you some slack if you had written something ambiguous.

"Dumbest. Retort. Ever."
Worst rebuttal ever.
When in doubt make a sweeping statement with a few periods. Since a parallel universe has no evidence and it is unlikely we will ever have evidence for it, it means that it isn't an objective fact, which you implied is therefore a subjective truth like loving your wife. So since loving your wife depends on cognitive processes, then why wouldn't another subjective truth of parallel universes also depend similar congitive processes? Also can you please explain how you know something without evidence necesserily means it is a subjective truth? It seems like another big leap. And no cop out answers like "some theologians say so", or "Mark 9 rebuttals your argument."

"Actually, according to most (if not all) reputable theologians and scholars."
LOL, not at all. Many philosophers,a variety of theologians, physicists, and mathematicians claim that many things are either true or false, even without evidence. It doesn't become subjective just because you don't have evidence. Regardless, your alleged argument from popularity doesn't support your assertion whatsoever. Just because you think some theologians think so doesn't make it true.

Furthermore you didn't address that the bible claims that miracles occurred for instance, which would constitute as discernible evidence since it could be monitored as breaking the laws of physics and thus being supernatural.
Somehow, in your spitting, sputtering diatribe (in which you neglected to make use of the convenient quote feature), you managed to not really address any of my points, much less provide real argument.

Let me elucidate for you(take note of the highlighted parts):

From Wikipedia: "A fact is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments." Since Xy can't verify any of it's claims, they aren't objective fact claims. They are subjective truth claims, since the myths, narratives, symbols, practices, and constructions are designed, not to explain, but to provide meaning in an imaginative context. If the religion does that, it's essentially "correct" and "right."

But I'm confident that you won't buy it, 'cause you're too much into being right to admit you've actually learned something you didn't know before.

And just for the record, you played the "education card" first.

serp777

Of course it did! Gospels, letters and apocalypses were written, oral material was compiled, shared, and written down. Additions were made. Books were added and subtracted; this is all well-known.

Sorry, your writing was unclear at that point; I thought you were talking about the bible. Nonetheless, since Xy is a living religion, change is (and always has been) inevitable. The huge mistake most fundies, as well as yourself, make is to believe that the authenticity of Xy is found in its unchangeability and fidelity to "what happened in the beginning." That's simply not the case. I just don't see how you can make a valid argument that Xy is "less genuine" now than it was in the year 40 c.e. Oh, I forget! You like to hold things to false criteria. My bad!

No it doesn't. The church has always depended on extra-biblical writings and oral Tradition, as well as sacred text. None of that is up for "interpretation."

Now whose "more-than-embarrassing fallacy" is showing? This is precisely why your whole argument Does. Not. Work. You're insisting on reducing mythic narratives to "unprovable 'fact"" and then dismissing them. Since that has never been the nature of those narratives, your fallacy here is rather akin to attempting to eradicate the flu with a hammer, and then blaming the flu for not being a nail.

More conspiracy theory in the comedic styling of Jesse Ventura, where proto-Xy is concerned.

No, but I remember Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. "Efron hubbard," indeed! And I'm the one whose education is "in question??!!" Jesus Pete, dude!

"The huge mistake most fundies, as well as yourself, make is to believe that the authenticity of Xy is found in its unchangeability and fidelity to "what happened in the beginning."
Christianity is all about the words of Jesus, which supposedly come from God! So since reliability no longer matters i guess, you can just throw the whole thing out because unchangeability doesn't matter. The huge mistake you're making is that changing the religion willy nilly in whatever way you want somehow doesn't change the authenticity. Where do you draw the line if you were to start making hypothetical changes? When would it become unauthentic?

"Now whose "more-than-embarrassing fallacy" is showing? This is precisely why your whole argument Does. Not. Work. You're insisting on reducing mythic narratives to "unprovable 'fact"" and then dismissing them. Since that has never been the nature of those narratives, your fallacy here is rather akin to attempting to eradicate the flu with a hammer, and then blaming the flu for not being a nail."
The fallacy here is that you don't think most Christians would say that the resurrection of Christ, as well as a variety of other supernatural phenomena, are not an objective fact of reality. Most Christians have faith that they are. maybe your particular interpretation of religion makes you believe that it isn't about objective facts but that's beside the point because most people do. If these things didn't actually occur because they're subjective myths and stories, then why bother picking a particular religion to have faith in?

"

No, but I remember Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. "Efron hubbard," indeed! And I'm the one whose education is "in question??!!" Jesus Pete, dude![/QUOTE]"
If you are so well educated you wouldn't use a red herring for this extremely unimportant detail.

serp777

Somehow, in your spitting, sputtering diatribe (in which you neglected to make use of the convenient quote feature), you managed to not really address any of my points, much less provide real argument.

Let me elucidate for you(take note of the highlighted parts):

From Wikipedia: "A fact is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability, that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments." Since Xy can't verify any of it's claims, they aren't objective fact claims. They are subjective truth claims, since the myths, narratives, symbols, practices, and constructions are designed, not to explain, but to provide meaning in an imaginative context. If the religion does that, it's essentially "correct" and "right."

But I'm confident that you won't buy it, 'cause you're too much into being right to admit you've actually learned something you didn't know before.

And just for the record, you played the "education card" first.

You can't understand the argument so therefore its a sputtering diatribe. Nice cop out.

"A fact is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. "

Boom. I'll accept that. Is it actually the case that Jesus was resurrected? Is it actually the case that God exists? Defeated by your own definition. That is sad.

"The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability"
This is testing for the truth of a fact. Until a fact is verified it is unknown as to whether it is true.

Scientific facts are verified by repeatable experiments

I'm obviously not talking about verifying the facts. The fact that they haven't been verified doesn't mean they can't be true or false, right or wrong in other words. Verifiction:

"the process of establishing the truth, accuracy, or validity of something."

it doesn't mean they can't be either true or false just because it requires verification to be true. its unknown until you have verification in which case it is quantized to become true or false.

Actually I didn't play the education card first, catch22 did, and then you responded to that afterwards thus continuing it. So once again you're wrong.

"But I'm confident that you won't buy it, 'cause you're too much into being right to admit you've actually learned something you didn't know before."
I learn something every debate, such as the fact that Its L. Ron Hubbard. I don't care about being right. I don't buy it though because the definition you give supports my claims. it doesn't disagree with anything i've said so far.

sojourner

Christianity is all about the words of Jesus,
No. It isn't.
So since reliability no longer matters i guess, you can just throw the whole thing out because unchangeability doesn't matter.
I don't see how this follows from what I said. What is it you feel is "unreliable?" What "whole thing" are you talking about? For the record, I never said "unchangeability doesn't matter." Of course it matters, but that's not what Xy's authenticity rests upon.
The huge mistake you're making is that changing the religion willy nilly in whatever way you want somehow doesn't change the authenticity.
Who said that "changes were made willy-nilly?" No one (except you) has suggested that. Are you the same as you were when you were 2? Are you "less authentic" because you've changed? No, because the changes weren't "willy-nilly." Bodies grow and develop; minds grow and develop along certain trajectories. People don't spontaneously change race or gender, for example. It's the same with orthodox Xy. I fail to understand why you're blowing all this out of proportion?
When would it become unauthentic?
"Unauthentic" doesn't work well here. I don't think it becomes "unauthentic." I think it becomes "unorthodox," and that happens when the trajectory of change is abandoned for a more obtuse tangent.
The fallacy here is that you don't think most Christians would say that the resurrection of Christ, as well as a variety of other supernatural phenomena, are not an objective fact of reality.
Oh, I think most would probably say that, but then, I don't think most Xtians really either 1) think that critically about their faith, or 2) understand/appreciate the distinction between objective fact and subjective truth. But there is a distinction between the two that's usually justified as "faith." "We can't prove God's existence; we just 'take it on faith.'" And it's that difference that's worth noting: the difference between proof and faith. Your argument appears to be that, since there is no proof, chances are that the religion is "wrong." What I'm saying is that religion doesn't deal in proof, so the claims religion makes aren't, by definition, fact claims. religion deals in faith, so the claims are faith claims.

Now, before you go to busting my chops about "faith claims," let's look at what those are. They are mythic claims. By "myth" I don't mean "imaginary." I mean imaginative, where meaning is fostered and a certain understanding is gained. Myth, in the classic meaning, uses an intuitive and creative approach to speaking truth, rather than an empirical and objective approach to establishing fact. In this way, things like love, that can't be proven, are treated as not only very real, but the very ground of our existence. There's a distinction between truth and fact, and a distinction between proof and faith, that many fail to apprehend. I think that's what's going on in your OP.
If these things didn't actually occur because they're subjective myths and stories, then why bother picking a particular religion to have faith in?
Because those mythic narratives provide the means by which sense is made of how we understand ourselves as more than the "sum of our constituent parts." They "make more" of us. My contention is that if a religion "makes more" of us, then it is "right" for us and "correct" in it's truth claims.

sojourner

You can't understand the argument so therefore its a sputtering diatribe. Nice cop out.
You can't clearly state the argument, therefore it is unintelligible.
Is it actually the case that Jesus was resurrected? Is it actually the case that God exists? Defeated by your own definition. That is sad.
Not at all! It may or may not be the case that Jesus is (not "was") resurrected. Depends on what is meant by "resurrection." I'm not sure anyone fully understands the concept. It may or may not be the case that God exists as most average lay people conceptualize God. But, again, we're not talking about objective fact claims. We're talking about subjective truth claims. Refer to my last post for the difference. You would say that chances are, Jesus is not resurrected and, in that case, Xy is wrong. I say that factual verification actually defeats the purpose of the myth, and that it is that verification that is "wrong" in this case.
I learn something every debate, such as the fact that Its L. Ron Hubbard.
You're welcome.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

That is weak and wrong. It is a matter of logic that there cannot be any evidence for what it is that makes a decision turn out the way it does. That is the category where love, hate, God, the soul etc. are in.

thau

"A coincidence that molecules somehow crashed together and created living matter, then bugs, then eyes, then brains, all without an intelligent designer."
Not only did i not argue this, but i'm an agnostic so i don't know is the appropriate answer. But anyways I find that to be more likely than a invisible magical sky entity who has always existed and created this entire universe and evolution so that eventually it could lead to the evolution, 5 billion years later, of some partially evolved apes. Also evolution is a fact, so once you have a self replicating molecule evoltuion carries it the rest of the way.

And its not a coincidence that molecules make certain configurations. its the law of large numbers. There is something like 10^70 atoms in the universe, and there are probably, in a very very modest estimate, 10^60 atoms that could form life in possible habitable environments throughout the universe. Give it 13.7 billion years and suddenly its likely that a self replicating molecule would eventually form. its not a coincidence, its just math and probability.

And a solar flare is also not a coincidence; its a completely valid explanation for the occurrence of the stellar optical phenomena you describe. Atmospheric ozone as well as water vapor can act as a prism for high intensity solar output creating a prism and distortion effect leading to a variety of colors and changes in the apparent size of the sun. The solar flare in 1917 was so power that it in fact broke telegraph lines because it was the flare of the century. Seems like a very good explanation because it occurred at the same time and produces results similar to those described. You're the one who is saying that is just a coincidence--i claim that as the cause, not a coincidence unlike you.

"And not only that, but made one Marxist journalist open his mouth in awe, but the one next to him saw no sign of your solar flare."
So he didn't see colors or changes in the size of the sun? Those are all signs of a solar flare. But that just shows you the unreliability of your observers-- the fact that they give different reports. And opening your mouth in awe isn't evidence for a miracle--it just means you say something that caused awe.

Why is a solar flare so unappealing to you? I mean you're actually the one claiming that it was only a coincidence--it was only a coincidence that the solar flare occurred at the same time of the so called
"miracle". I've yet to hear any scientific reason you think the solar flare isn't at least a possibility. I mean it is actually YOU who is such an obstinate denier in the face of such a good physical explanation. When you have a good physical explanation you don't need God, just like we don't need God to push the planets around because we have a good physical explanation.

"What a coincidence that these three little children predicted a miracle would occur for everyone to see 90 days in advance and then on that exact day and time they showed up"
Not only do I not accept that the children predicted a miracle would occur and instead only claimed that they did, but even if they did make the prediction they probably made like 30 other predictions that some generic miracle would occur, and selection bias made them seem correct when one happened to be correct. Plus it seems unlikely God made three random children prophets to use their clairvoyant skills to see some miracle 3 days in advance. It might also have a bit more credibility if they actually said what the miracle is going to be. Unlikely things happen all the time, which aren't attributed to miracles.

I'm still waiting for an explanation for how they knew which God or Gods allegedly caused this phenomena. I mean there have been a variety of Islamic and Hindu miracles that have a variety of first hand accounts, including many that say people remember their previous lives after reincarnation and allegedly know impossible things.

I mean this is just like the so called miracle of the star of Bethlehem, which was actually a supernova gamma ray burst observed by Chinese astronomers was declared to be a miracle.

"Maybe you can understand why I lose any zeal talking to the obstinate deniers"
Sorry i'm a scientist. i don't accept things willy nilly. I've heard similar arguments from alien abduction groups, Scientologists, Mormons, Muslims, African mythology, etc. If this so called miracle was shown in every city, even on the night side of the planet and reported by billions of people, then your miracle might be more legitimate, but that still wouldn't mean GOd did it--flashing colors and a blood red sun don't mean God. They could mean a variety of deities or maybe even super advanced aliens.I don't see how you can argue that a scientific explanation is less likely than a cosmic rave light show from God when he didn't make it clear at all who caused the so called miracle.

I mean i bet you believe in a variety of miracles--Johan and the whale, Jesus turning water into wine, the virgin birth, the resurrection, all of those.

"You also are quick to embrace science and scientists when they champion your "religion,""
You just called it a philosophy before this. Which is it? You only say religion because you want to say our positions are somehow . Agnosticism isn't a religion obviously. That's like saying not knowing about sex positions is a sex position. Its ridiculous.

"now you are quick to call them victims of mass hallucination"
Except I changed my position when i found evidence of a solar flare. I already agreed that they saw something, but im arguing it was a solar flare. You are sure quick to say that God did it though.

(me: "A coincidence that molecules somehow crashed together and created living matter, then bugs, then eyes, then brains, all without an intelligent designer.")

[Serp: Not only did i not argue this, but i'm an agnostic so i don't know is the appropriate answer. But anyways I find that to be more likely than a invisible magical sky entity who has always existed and created this entire universe and evolution so that eventually it could lead to the evolution, 5 billion years later, of some partially evolved apes. Also evolution is a fact, so once you have a self replicating molecule evoltuion carries it the rest of the way.

“ And its not a coincidence that molecules make certain configurations. its the law of large numbers. There is something like 10^70 atoms in the universe, and there are probably, in a very very modest estimate, 10^60 atoms that could form life in possible habitable environments throughout the universe. Give it 13.7 billion years and suddenly its likely that a self replicating molecule would eventually form. its not a coincidence, its just math and probability.”]

All very interesting except I find the “laws” of probability very much not on your side. Not even in the realm of discussion. But if “by chance” molecules had some rave parties and started making babies, the probabilities would also say for every success we should see a billion failures. We see virtually none. We should see tons of failures in the fossil record between a reptile and a bird with wings and feathers. But the fossil record is quite remarkable in that every one of them is a bona fide success. I am also always charmed by how mindless molecules decided it was time to make a pancreas when once there was none.

[Serp: “And a solar flare is also not a coincidence; its a completely valid explanation for the occurrence of the stellar optical phenomena you describe. Atmospheric ozone as well as water vapor can act as a prism for high intensity solar output creating a prism and distortion effect leading to a variety of colors and changes in the apparent size of the sun. The solar flare in 1917 was so power that it in fact broke telegraph lines because it was the flare of the century. Seems like a very good explanation because it occurred at the same time and produces results similar to those described. You're the one who is saying that is just a coincidence--i claim that as the cause, not a coincidence unlike you.”]

First of all, a solar flare is not what those present witnessed. The sun grew enormous in size and charged the earth. It caused the multitudes to scream and fall to their knees. Of course you doubt it because it would discredit your solar flare theory. So now it is mass hallucination. How crazy they all “hallucinated” the very same thing. How crazy that you and yours can just dismiss the testimonies of scientists and atheists present who had no intention of expecting to see anything but a means to dismiss what these children were claiming. And finally --- what a coincidence your solar flare occurred on that very day at that very time the children showed up.

[Serp: “Not only do I not accept that the children predicted a miracle would occur (90 days in advance) and instead only claimed that they did, but even if they did make the prediction they probably made like 30 other predictions that some generic miracle would occur, and selection bias made them seem correct when one happened to be correct.” ]

Then how do you explain 70,000 people showing up on that day slogging through mud in the pouring rain? How do you explain govt officials imprisoning them for days a month earlier, interrogating them separately, and threatening them with being boiled in oil if they do not recant? They also told each child the other ones had already been boiled. Pretty drastic.

Sorry, serp. You are only wishing they made all kinds of fake predictions, do you have any evidence of that? We have empirical evidence for our claims. We also have the news reports from those days in Marxist newspapers. We also have the testimonies of unbiased professionals which you so do not want to give any credence to. Oh, but because they are not astronomers so they are incapable of deductive reasoning I guess?

[Serp: “I'm still waiting for an explanation for how they knew which God or Gods allegedly caused this phenomena.” ]

Because it walks, talks, smells, sounds and looks like a duck, serp. It’s a duck. The children were praying the rosary when she first appeared. The children repeated the words of the lady they claimed to see who said she was the Virgin Mary. She told them of Jesus, to repent of their sins, to pray the rosary. She showed them a vision of hell and spoke of purgatory. It was very Christian!

[Serp: “Sorry i'm a scientist. i don't accept things willy nilly. I've heard similar arguments from alien abduction groups, Scientologists, Mormons, Muslims, African mythology, etc.”]

We do not care about other fantastic claims, serp. You are slinging mud hoping something will stick. Stick to the facts surrounding Fatima. Will nilly?... please.

I have to cut this short Serp. I understand your other and related points I omitted here. I can see that my answers will not satisfy your doubts. So I am fine that we agree to disagree. We both need to move on to other discussions perhaps. But for the sake of anyone reading this post I am going to reprint a few testimonies of those either at the scene of the miracle or miles away. For me, I cannot deny their authenticity validating the truth of the matter. Unless you are claiming all these testimonies are made up lies? Again, where is your proof of that? Otherwise, it lays your solar flare theory to the garbage heap. (imo)

I repeat:

Dr. José Maria de Almeida Garrett, professor at the Faculty of Sciences of Coimbra, Portugal. “… The sun's disc did not remain immobile. This was not the sparkling of a, heavenly body, for it spun round on itself in a mad whirl. Then, suddenly, one heard a clamor, a cry of anguish breaking from all the people. The sun, whirling wildly, seemed to loosen itself from the firmament and advance threateningly upon the earth as if to crush us with its huge and fiery weight. The sensation during those moments was terrible …All the phenomena which I have described were observed by me in a calm and serene state of mind, and without any emotional disturbance. It is for others to interpret and explain them.”

Portuguese aristocrat Baron of Alvaiazere: “. . . An indescribable impression overtook me. I only know that I cried out: I believe! I believe! And tears ran from my eyes. I was amazed, in ecstasy before the demonstration of Divine power . . . converted in that moment.”

Dr. Formigao, Professor at Santarem seminary: “As if like a bolt from the blue, the clouds were wrenched apart, and the sun at its zenith appeared in all its splendour. It began to revolve vertiginously on its axis, like the most magnificent fire-wheel that could be imagined, taking on all the colours of the rainbow and sending forth multi-coloured flashes of light, producing the most astounding effect. This sublime and incomparable spectacle, which was repeated three distinct times, lasted for about ten minutes. “The immense multitude, overcome by the evidence of such a tremendous prodigy, threw themselves on their knees. The Creed, the Hail Mary, acts of contrition, burst from all lips, and tears, tears of thanksgiving and repentance sprang from all eyes.”

Lawyer, Carlos Mendes: “I saw the sun as if it were a ball of fire, begin to move in the clouds. It had been raining all morning and the sky was full of clouds, but the rain had stopped. It lasted for several seconds, crushingly pressing down on us. Wan faces, standing here, from every side great ejaculations, acts of contrition, of the love of God. An indescribable moment! We feel it. We remain dominated by it. But it is not possible to describe it.”

Excerpt from Wikipedia article quoting the Marxist journalist:"Before the astonished eyes of the crowd, whose aspect was biblical as they stood bare-headed, eagerly searching the sky, the sun trembled, made sudden incredible movements outside all cosmic laws — the sun 'danced' according to the typical expression of the people." ― Avelino de Almeida, writing for the Marxist Lisbon newspaper O Século.

Abano Barros (a building contractor) witnessed the apparition from the village of Minde, eight miles away… “I was watching sheep, as was my daily task, and suddenly, there in the direction of Fátima, I saw the sun fall from the sky. I thought it was the end of the world.”

Fr. Ignacio Lorenco (Alburitel, 11 miles away): “… I feel incapable of describing what I saw and felt. I looked fixedly at the sun, which seemed pale and did not hurt the eyes. Looking like a ball of snow revolving on itself, it suddenly seemed to come down in a zigzag, menacing the earth. Terrified, I ran and hid myself among the people, who were weeping and expecting the end of the world at any moment. Near us was an unbeliever who had spent the morning mocking at the simpletons who had gone off to Fátima just to see an ordinary girl. He now seemed to be paralyzed, his eyes fixed on the sun. Afterwards he trembled from head to foot and lifting up his arms fell on his knees in the mud, crying out to our Lady.”

sojourner

That is weak and wrong. It is a matter of logic that there cannot be any evidence for what it is that makes a decision turn out the way it does. That is the category where love, hate, God, the soul etc. are in.
Right, which is precisely why these things are not fact claims, as I've maintained all along.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
No it isn't. Perhaps for you, who it sounds like you would be completely randomly choosing a religion.

No, to anyone who understands the basics of statistics.

Says who? That's your perspective.

Says anyone who knows what the word "objective" means. Look it up before you look any more foolish.

Just an awful comparison. Like I would adhere to religious beliefs completely at random?

You pick a religion for individual reasons, just like many people play the lottery with numbers that have some individual meaning to them. Most people adopt the religion that is most prevalent in the place they were raised. They are indoctrinated into it. They have never bothered to examine the religion critically.

Oh I doubt that, highly. From the way you are talking about religious beliefs, I think my chances of being right are far higher than yours.

I'm sure you do, but until you can back it up with objective evidence and deconstruct your beliefs logically and rationally, all you've got is a baseless claim. Every religion is sure their chances of being right are far higher than anyone else's religion.

Why? Why assume people can't figure out the right religion? You are making these arbitrary restrictions on how things can be discerned; this isn't reality, your describing what you, personally, don't know.

Because when people talk about the "right" religion, they're not talking about a religion that is factually correct, but one that they happen to personally like. There are tons of people who are quite open about that on this forum. They don't give a damn if their gods are real, so long as it "works for them". That's not how I mean the term "right religion". I mean a religion that's teachings accurately reflect reality. I mean a religion whose god demonstrably exists in factual reality for everyone whether they believe it or not. I mean a religion whose teachings are actually true, their version of heaven and hell is really real, etc. Not based on blind faith and empty claims, but on some demonstrable basis, backed up by objective evidence so that we can actually determine if it is really true.

No religion has managed to do any of that. None. Every single religion out there operates on empty claims and fanatical faith. So long as that's the case, so long as none of them can show that their core beliefs are real, there's no reason to take any of them more seriously than any others.

Norman

Defender of Truth
MAy Allah bless you my friend. May you find your way one day, Mohammad loves you. You are a child of Allah, this I know.

Norman: Hi serp777, Thank you, you are a good person, I look forward to talking with you some more.