• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zen driving

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is zen driving practiced or recommended? Our minds can really go into a zone with tasks so is it hazardous or more alert when driving?

koan

Alert driving, is Zen driving. Going into a zone is not Zen, it's going into a zone.

koan

What is absorbed? A student asked the master, "What is the way?" The master replied, "Every day mind is the way."

idav

Being
Premium Member
It seems like zen is doing without thinking and that just makes me nervous if I'm on the road driving. The thing is doing without thinking is mastery so there should be no issue, since as has been pointed out, zen is being fully alert.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
What is absorbed? A student asked the master, "What is the way?" The master replied, "Every day mind is the way."

Aware, awake, attentive, not distracted, no separate, noting,engulfed..... absorbed.

Not 'absent minded'... or at least paying attention to when you are ;)

I didn't mean to imply any heady state beyond the everyday mind.

no-body

It seems like zen is doing without thinking and that just makes me nervous if I'm on the road driving.

This is a mistaken assumption that I used to have as well. "no-mind" is a bit of a misnomer yes it is going beyond mind but it is not below mind, you can still use thought when you need to it just can't use you anymore.

Instead of driving while you are lost in thought about your life's little dramas you will give all attention to what needs to be done in the moment... "chop wood, fetch water"

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
"Zen" driving would simply be driving. And I mean just driving. It would not be dangerous because its the best way to drive, fully aware and present; driving.

idav

Being
Premium Member
These comments make sense. Doing it the Zen way is doing it the best way so it is more of a focus at the task at hand with no distractions.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
It seems like zen is doing without thinking and that just makes me nervous if I'm on the road driving. The thing is doing without thinking is mastery so there should be no issue, since as has been pointed out, zen is being fully alert.

I like to jog, but have a weak right ankle due to break years ago. Since I'm over 55, I try to jog off-pavement to save my joints. Occasionally this meant stepping on a piece of ground which would shift my ankle into an angle which would result in a sprain. About a year ago it occurred to me to try "Zen" jogging; dumping the MP3 player and working (relaxing?) to become more in tune with my body and my environment. Since then I haven't twisted my ankle once.

Zen driving isn't becoming road hypnotized. It's complete awareness of your car, other cars, road conditions and everything around you. Try turning off the radio/CD player and seeing how much you can notice around you without becoming fixated on anything in particular. It will not only be Zen, but make you a safer driver. :yinyang:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Zen driving is: HERE-NOW! sitting on the bike on the road flowing with the traffic. Nothing disturbs the horns, sound of traffic they are all under observation and even the thought that is trying to pop up!

Love & rgds

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I'm actually a truck driver. I use awareness an mindfulness.

Being a driver is a good profession for a zen practitioner. I am a delivery driver, and while I listen to a couple songs and a few minutes of the radio throughout the night, I tend to drive without the stereo. It's a good time to reduce mental stimulation and just be present and aware (especially when overly habituated to being on the computer when im at home ;) )

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend DredFish,

Personally am mindful doing anything and everything!
It is true the mind does not allow that liberty but guess then both consciousness and unconsciousness have to go hand in hand!

Love & rgds

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Being a driver is a good profession for a zen practitioner. I am a delivery driver, and while I listen to a couple songs and a few minutes of the radio throughout the night, I tend to drive without the stereo. It's a good time to reduce mental stimulation and just be present and aware (especially when overly habituated to being on the computer when im at home ;) )

I'm actually a truck driver. I use awareness an mindfulness.

Guess that makes for three here. I'm going to have to return to the trucking industry starting with refresher training on May 12th then it's back into the semi.

BTW I cant respond any better than what has already been said here on the subject. I think this is one of the best threads I've read in a while. It's so appros for all the road warriors out there. Keep your tires on the road.