• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zygote to Person

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I was reading and thinking about how the single cell human zygote becomes in nine months a 3KG, 50 cm long baby with 100 000 000 000 neurons in the brain alone. At peak growth some estimate that there are 250 000 new neurons born a minute.

Then I was flicking through some poetry and I came to these lines by Rumi:-

The light you give off
did not come from a pelvis.

Your features did not begin in semen
Don't try to hide inside anger
radiance that cannot be hidden

Life just blows me away in its awsomeness. I think Rumi's lines catch something indefineable about the wonder of our being. What do you think?

RuhiWarrior19

I <3 Bhagavan Bahá
Rumi in english is not impressive. This goes for most Middle Eastern poets unless you translate them with so much liberty that it is unrecognizable.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Rumi in english is not impressive. This goes for most Middle Eastern poets unless you translate them with so much liberty that it is unrecognizable.

I find him really impressive. I find wonderful images in his (translated) poetry, some of it is funny, some of it is profound and some of it like the piece above really strikes me. I'm never going to be able to read the original so translation will have to do.
What do you find unimpressive about English translations?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I was reading and thinking about how the single cell human zygote becomes in nine months a 3KG, 50 cm long baby with 100 000 000 000 neurons in the brain alone. At peak growth some estimate that there are 250 000 new neurons born a minute.

Then I was flicking through some poetry and I came to these lines by Rumi:-

The light you give off
did not come from a pelvis.

Your features did not begin in semen
Don't try to hide inside anger
radiance that cannot be hidden

Life just blows me away in its awsomeness. I think Rumi's lines catch something indefineable about the wonder of our being. What do you think?
I am impressed. Thanks.

From a single cell to an almost innumerable complexity, our development is a wonder.

If fundamentalists can accept the materialistic miracle that an individual human can develop from an individual cell over a period of 9 months, why can't they accept the materialistic miracle that humans as a species evolved from single-celled organisms over a period of 4 billion years?