• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-Palestinian Peaceful Protests

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What happened?
I was involved in more than a few demonstrations in the late sixties and early seventies where the demonstration leadership took their responsibility to deal with provocateurs very seriously. We're seeing an unfortunate failure to do so -- or, even, to understand the importance of doing so.

It shows all the characteristics of a highly heterogenous and highly immature protest movement.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Some have stayed peace. Some have been attacked by pro-Israel demonstrators. Some no doubt have been trigged by agent provocateurs.

It's also a sign of the times with a serious amount of threats up to and including violence from the MAGA right.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was involved in more than a few demonstrations in the late sixties and early seventies where the demonstration leadership took their responsibility to deal with provocateurs very seriously. We're seeing an unfortunate failure to do so -- or, even, to understand the importance of doing so.

It shows all the characteristics of a highly heterogenous and highly immature protest movement.
Hear, hear! Demonstrators behaving badly need to be stopped as quickly as possible, by anyone observing their misbehavior. They're undermining goals of the demo and turning the public against the demonstrators.

Agents provocateurs and police infiltration, alas, seems inevitable. Be on the lookout.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Hear, hear! Demonstrators behaving badly need to be stopped as quickly as possible, by anyone observing their misbehavior. They're undermining goals of the demo and turning the public against the demonstrators.

Agents provocateurs and police infiltration, alas, seems inevitable. Be on the lookout.
Just a note: I've encountered both provocateurs and police 'infiltrators' but
  1. there is typically a world of difference between the two, and
  2. in my experience, provocateurs are more problematic by far.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In the UK.....

"A fresh wave of student demonstrations and encampments are under way at UK universities in protest over the war in Gaza, after violent scenes on campuses in the US where dozens have been arrested after a crackdown by police.
Protests were due to take place in at least six universities on Wednesday, including Sheffield, Bristol, Leeds and Newcastle, with others expected to follow suit, in a show of solidarity with Palestinians.
Protesting students are also calling for their individual universities to divest from arms firms that supply to Israel and in some cases sever links with universities in Israel...."

- UK students begin new wave of protests against Gaza war after US arrests

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Parenthetically ...

The attacks began early on 7 October with a barrage of at least 3,000 rockets launched against Israel and vehicle-transported and powered paraglider incursions into Israel.[25][26] Hamas fighters breached the Gaza–Israel barrier, attacking military bases and massacring civilians in Gaza envelope Kibbutz settlements, including in Be'eri, Kfar Aza, and Nir Oz, and at the Nova music festival.[27][28] The attackers killed 1,139 people:[f] 695 Israeli civilians (including 36 children), 71 foreign nationals, and 373 members of the security forces.[g][33] About 250 Israeli civilians and soldiers were taken as hostages to the Gaza Strip, including 30 children, with the stated goal to force Israel to exchange them for imprisoned Palestinians, including women and children.[34][35][36][37] Reports of rape and sexual assault also emerged. Hamas officials denied the involvement of their fighters.[38][39][40][41] [source]​

Israel is marking day 207. Hostages remain. Some are still alive.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Peaceful protest does not include destruction and takeovers of property that they do not own.
Define "takeover."

Effective protest relies on Satyagraha. It achieved independence for India and civil rights for American blacks.
Without civil disobedience, reformers gain neither visibility nor sympathy.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Parenthetically ...

The attacks began early on 7 October with a barrage of at least 3,000 rockets launched against Israel and vehicle-transported and powered paraglider incursions into Israel.[25][26] Hamas fighters breached the Gaza–Israel barrier, attacking military bases and massacring civilians in Gaza envelope Kibbutz settlements, including in Be'eri, Kfar Aza, and Nir Oz, and at the Nova music festival.[27][28] The attackers killed 1,139 people:[f] 695 Israeli civilians (including 36 children), 71 foreign nationals, and 373 members of the security forces.[g][33] About 250 Israeli civilians and soldiers were taken as hostages to the Gaza Strip, including 30 children, with the stated goal to force Israel to exchange them for imprisoned Palestinians, including women and children.[34][35][36][37] Reports of rape and sexual assault also emerged. Hamas officials denied the involvement of their fighters.[38][39][40][41] [source]​

Israel is marking day 207. Hostages remain. Some are still alive.
Israel has a history of repression and disproportionate retaliation toward Gaza's history of ineffectual, symbolic strike-backs. It's a vicious cycle that makes both sides look bad.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Israel has a history of repression and disproportionate retaliation toward Gaza's history of ineffectual, symbolic strike-backs. It's a vicious cycle that makes both sides look bad.
Look...I assure you that the story of "the land which was taken from us" is not that credible any more. Since decades now.
My country had the territories of Dalmatia and Istria.
The Croatians chased Italians away from those lands. In a very violent way. Many Italians were thrown into deep sinkholes on the ground called foibes. Now, after 80 years, we love Croatians. We have forgiven them.
As they forgave us for what fascism may have done in those land.

So the story "but A did this to me 80 years ago, or B did this to me 40 years ago" ....well...it doesn't work any more.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Look...I assure you that the story of "the land which was taken from us" is not that credible any more. Since decades now.
My country had the territories of Dalmatia and Istria.
The Croatians chased Italians away from those lands. In a very violent way. Many Italians were thrown into deep sinkholes on the ground called foibes. Now, after 80 years, we love Croatians. We have forgiven them.
As they forgave us for what fascism may have done in those land.

So the story "but A did this to me 80 years ago, or B did this to me 40 years ago" ....well...it doesn't work any more.
That way, some powerful country (like Russia or China for instance) could take someone's territory and hold it for 80 years. After that is it theirs?

I think any injustices done post WWII need to be redressed or mitigated in some way (that date being when the UN was established).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That way, some powerful country (like Russia or China for instance) could take someone's territory and hold it for 80 years. After that is it theirs?
Istria belonged to Italians since the times of the Romans.
Now Croatians have it. Yes. It has become theirs after 80 years.
So what?
It was traumatic, but the Italian refugees have moved on. They have had a closure.
I think any injustices done post WWII need to be redressed or mitigated in some way (that date being when the UN was established).
The EU ensures peace and justice among nations.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Istria belonged to Italians since the times of the Romans.
Now Croatians have it. Yes. It has become theirs after 80 years.
So what?
It was traumatic, but the Italian refugees have moved on. They have had a closure.

The EU ensures peace and justice among nations.
Istria was made part of Yugoslavia after WWII, so it makes sense that Croatia has it now.