• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quantum entanglement

wellwisher

Another way to explain this is say we have two identical clocks. We synchronize in time when they are close, using math and measurement of their spacing to compensate for distance between, while setting the clocks to synchronize. Next we separate them in space with no time dilation. They will be synchronized, if we take into account distance and the speed of light that may add a visual time delay to one or the other clock.

Or we can use separated space and separated time, by simply stopping time at creation and then use only distance potential to get separation in space, with time held constant. This is more useful for future tech.

Separated space and separated time would allow a place of infinite variety beyond the limitations of space-time. This will allow for infinite entropy; complexity, and appears to be the drive behind the second law within space-time. This appears to be how the quantum and macro universe are connected.

Entropy and time have many things in common, such as both propagate in one direction and neither are waves. A wave like energy, cycles and repeats, but we cannot become a baby again, in time or entropy.

Entropy is like a diode, where current can only go one way with the other way more of a resistor; possible but not free. We can reverse entropy to a lower value but this diode resistance path takes more energy than we get back.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought Bell’s Inequality ruled out historic correlation?
No. What the Bell's equality ruled out was that the two particles had pre-existing values (that were also correlated) before the measurement. What Bell's equality means is that the two particles remain correlated but do not have definite values corresponding to the correlation before the observation.
That is also the reason I do not understand the claim about consciousness monism solving the riddles of QM. How does a universal consciousness solve the absence of definitive values of systems prior to measurement? Because the difference between QM and classical physics is that only....there is no faster than light coordination or anything of that sort going on here that needs to be explained.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought Bell’s Inequality ruled out historic correlation?

No. It ruled out local hidden variables. So, in the quantum case, neither particle has a definite spin value before the measurement, but the two particles are still correlated. That is *precisely* what happens in entanglement: the values are correlated even if not determined.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Apologies for not reading this whole thread, but a question.

It seems to me that we might be talking about the inability to measure certain things without disturbing them. In that case it it might be reasonable to say that the characteristics of the measured object are simply unknown rather than indeterminate.

I assume I'm wrong about this, but why?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Apologies for not reading this whole thread, but a question.

It seems to me that we might be talking about the inability to measure certain things without disturbing them. In that case it it might be reasonable to say that the characteristics of the measured object are simply unknown rather than indeterminate.

I assume I'm wrong about this, but why?
This is where language can get tricky.

Here are two situations:

1. We prepare two beams of electrons. One beam has all electrons spin up and the other has all electrons spin down. We then merge the two beams. Then, we will be ignorant of which spin any particular electron will have, but it will have a definite value. For any particular electron, we have a 50-50 chance of measuring a spin up.

2. We prepare a beam of electrons where each electron is in a superposition of spin up and spin down states. Again, for any particular electron, we have a 50-50 chance of measuring a spin up.

The question is whether these two beams have all the same properties. And the answer is no. The second beam interacts with *other*
beams in ways that are different than the first. For example, there can be interference effects in the second case that do not show up in the first.

This is based on actual observations, not just on theory, but the way.

That means there is a difference between “determined not not known” and “indeterminate”.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
This is where language can get tricky.

Here are two situations:

1. We prepare two beams of electrons. One beam has all electrons spin up and the other has all electrons spin down. We then merge the two beams. Then, we will be ignorant of which spin any particular electron will have, but it will have a definite value. For any particular electron, we have a 50-50 chance of measuring a spin up.

2. We prepare a beam of electrons where each electron is in a superposition of spin up and spin down states. Again, for any particular electron, we have a 50-50 chance of measuring a spin up.

The question is whether these two beams have all the same properties. And the answer is no. The second beam interacts with *other*
beams in ways that are different than the first. For example, there can be interference effects in the second case that do not show up in the first.

This is based on actual observations, not just on theory, but the way.

That means there is a difference between “determined not not known” and “indeterminate”.

Interesting, and thanks.

Of course that opens up a lot of other questions like (immediately) how the heck do we create beams with those properties? But that's OK, I'll take your word that we can. :)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I appreciate your attention to detail but IMHO - just relax on the tutorials - or maybe just a link for those who do not understand the topic?
Relax on the tutorials? We have two excellent and qualified teachers posting on this thread that are writing to lay people in a comprehensible manner. What do you think that's worth to somebody not in the field who is interested and can understand what is being written?

They also show you not just what they have learned and how well they can teach, but also how to think about math and physics, and by extrapolation, all logical and empirical pursuits. They think the same way, and it's a rigorous, disciplined way of thinking. Study and emulate that if you can. And their words sit in striking contrast to the less rigorous thinkers, who want the criteria for belief to be relaxed, and whose thinking is more chaotic. As a result, their posts contain little of value.

Someone asked recently on another thread, "I have nothing against atheists, but I’m not too sure why so many choose to gather on a religious forum."

My answer was this: "This is humanism school for me. The lecture part is reading the thoughts of the other critical thinkers and scientifically literate posters. The lab is the array of types of people we encounter here and how they think. Here, we see a spectrum of religious and humanist thinkers and can get a sense of what effect religion has on believers according to the religion, and how the believers compare to the irreligious intellectually and morally - that is, what benefit or harm does the religious life confer on the faithful."

These guys are the lecture part and comparing them to others is the lab part.
the academic leaders in many fields of science are too entrenched in natural methodologies, to ever come around to ‘consciousness being the source of all existence.’ Basically due to what they consider lack of evidence… which is really only because they can’t test for it.
Did you want them to entertain that idea as a possibility or to declare it fact? If the former, any competent critical thinker will agree that that is a logically possible hypothesis, but won't go further and call it correct or alternative hypotheses incorrect. Why? Because that is how we prevent accumulating false and unfalsifiable ideas and calling them knowledge or truth or descriptions of reality. And is that important? It's one of the most important and successful ideas man has ever had. It converts useless ism like creationism, alchemy, and astrology into their scientific counterparts (cosmology, biology, chemistry, and astronomy), which have been hugely successful.
In making this argument, it seems to me you confuse personal, subjective consciousness, with universal consciousness. “We are each facets of a consciousness, experiencing life subjectively”, is a phrase I heard from a friend’s not very religious Indian father.

I think his observation goes to the heart of conversations about consciousness. There certainly have been scientists as well as philosophers and theologians who were at least willing to consider the possibility that consciousness maybe fundamental, or at least key to understanding the universe (see Bohm, Wheeler, Fuchs, Penrose from theoretical physics).
I would say the same to you as I did to Hockeycowboy. Yes, all competent critical thinkers should consider the possibility, but can one go further profitably? Despite claims to the contrary from many regarding what they call spiritual truths, my answer is no, unless by profiting one means amusing oneself speculating.
to limit our conception of reality to our experience of it, is to close the door on a universe of possibility.
I would say that our experience of reality is all that matters. Ideas that don't eventually lead to knowledge, by which I mean ideas that are demonstrably correct and which can be used to predict outcomes, are useless by definition. Speculating is a creative act, and is necessary in science and life. It's where the ideas that we test and which become knowledge when confirmed originate. But until they pass that last test, they're idle thoughts.
To the pluralist the world is populated by discrete entities, interacting through contact. To the monist, everything is connected. Once you adopt the latter as a default view of the world, all distinctions - for instance those between the object, the observer, and the act of observation - become arbitrary.
How about adopting both simultaneously? Holistic knowledge means knowledge at all scales and from all perspectives. My background is medicine. A proper understanding of a patient involves understanding a person at ever smaller scales: organism (human being) -> organ systems (cardiovascular) -> organs (hearts) -> tissues (cardiac conduction system) -> cells ( cardiac neurons) -> chemicals (neurotransmitter, ions).

But we also have to go up inscale. He is a member of a family, which is a member of a community and an ecosystem, all of which can play a role in health and disease as well.

And all of reality can be and should be considered at all scales and perspectives as well. But we live at this scale and have this individual human perspective, in which things like galaxies and quarks are largely indiscernible, and in which we can understand the concept of spacetime (monism), but experience them as fundamentally different things (a plurality). THAT's what matters to the individual. Yes, we can understand that as we walk through a room, there are spacetime considerations, but they don't project to the scale of experience.

Now go back to your words above. How arbitrary is one's understanding of space and time as independent variables. It's imposed. It's the only way I can experience reality even if I can understand it otherwise, and it's my opinion that too much emphasis is placed in the understanding such that the experiencing takes a back seat, that subjectivity is deemed a limitation to be transcended, that whatever is out there on the other side of the theater of consciousness and its fundamental nature should be more important than how its rendered in consciousness.

My world (and yours, too, I presume), is experienced as separate, interacting objects. Consciousness is experienced as separate bubbles - mine in here which I apprehend directly and immediately, and countless other separate entities whose consciousness is implied by behavior. That's what every day is like, as when I order lunch later. I will experience my wife, our waiter, and myself as discrete conscious agents, not as one. I don't deny that there is a benefit to understanding how we're connected, but that is the case because that understanding can affect experience beyond thinking that thought, such as how we feel about and treat others.

So yes to monism and pluralism both. Reality can be thought of as a single thing as well as a collection of things, but the latter (pluralistic) describes how it is experienced, and once again, that's what matters most to us. Models of objective reality are only valuable if they modify our experience of subjective reality favorably.