• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists Only: Your Arguments

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well since it can be proved that God does exist and that He created everything, then it i possible that He wrote a book that declares His will. After all that would be one of the prerogatives of being God.
Well the Bible does claim to be written by God. It also proves that indeed it is.
What about other books? Why would God use books?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
God would want people to know what is right and wrong. He also would want them to know the basis of any judgment. So a book is the best way to do that.
But these books differ in their moral codes. How do you know which is right, if any?

SavedByTheLord

You cannot use the Bible to prove the Bible.
Actually you can.
first the existence of a Creator can be proved and as I said God the Creator may have written a book.
There are not many books which claim to be written by God the Creator. The Bible does make that claim.
and it then proves to be from God.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually you can.
first the existence of a Creator can be proved and as I said God the Creator may have written a book.
There are not many books which claim to be written by God the Creator. The Bible does make that claim.
and it then proves to be from God.
Where does it make that claim? The Bible is many books, not just one. Does each book claim this? Why are there sets of books telling the same stories differently? Samuel vs. Chronicles? 1 vs 2 Maccabees? The four Gospels differ.

SavedByTheLord

Where does it make that claim? The Bible is many books, not just one. Does each book claim this? Why are there sets of books telling the same stories differently? Samuel vs. Chronicles? 1 vs 2 Maccabees? The four Gospels differ.
The Bible is of course a book of books (66 of the).
but it is a book, you can buy it at the bookstore as a book

SavedByTheLord

The largest Christian cohort disagrees :D
By the way, there is just one of the proofs of the Bible, which predicts that the largest Christian cohort would have false teachings. There are many predictions about the Roman Catholic Church (RCC)in the Bible, with exact timing too. I use a King James Bible which has 66 books in it. And it is sold as a book. I am glad, although not surprised that you have knowledge in this area. It will make an discussions more too the point.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
By the way, there is just one of the proofs of the Bible, which predicts that the largest Christian cohort would have false teachings. There are many predictions about the Roman Catholic Church (RCC)in the Bible, with exact timing too. I use a King James Bible which has 66 books in it. And it is sold as a book. I am glad, although not surprised that you have knowledge in this area. It will make an discussions more too the point.
Actually the KJV includes the Apocrypha. They were printed with it until the Victorian Era, but they are meant to be there.

SavedByTheLord

Actually the KJV includes the Apocrypha. They were printed with it until the Victorian Era, but they are meant to be there.
That is true. I have a photocopy of a 1611 printing. And as you say it has the Apocrypha. But those books were moved to a section call the Apocrypha with each page of them marked as Apocrypha. But the term just means not considered genuine. One of the reasons is that they are inconsistent with the rest of scripture. Also the 1611 printing had the Apocrypha in a separate section and not as part of the Old Testament or the New Testament. New and Old covers all possibilities so they are not part of the Bible. They were kept in that printing for historic and probably political reasons. I use a King James Bible with a 1789 spelling update.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
True. The Bible proves itself to be the true word of God the Creator by several proofs. And of course an examination of the creation proves the existence of God the Creator.

While I don't disagree on a Creator of sorts. I highly doubt it's your rendition. Bible or not.

Yahweh, El, YHWH is just a name.

SavedByTheLord

While I don't disagree on a Creator of sorts. I highly doubt it's your rendition. Bible or not.

Yahweh, El, YHWH is just a name.
Well just a name would not be much. But God's character would be the most important.
The Bible proves itself to be the true word of God, so the God of the Bible is indeed the real God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Well since it can be proved that God does exist and that He created everything, then it i possible that He wrote a book that declares His will. After all that would be one of the prerogatives of being God.
Everyone knows that God did not write the Bible. At best, the Bible was inspired by God. At worst, it is only the words of fallible men.
Even if the Bible was God's will at one time back in history, that was thousands of years ago, and there is no reason to think it is God's will for the age we are now living in.

SavedByTheLord

Everyone knows that God did not write the Bible. At best, the Bible was inspired by God. At worst, it is only the words of fallible men.
Even if the Bible was God's will at one time back in history, that was thousands of years ago, and there is no reason to think it is God's will for the age we are now living in.
You are correct God did not write the Bible, but God inspired men to do so.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Tim 3:16-17