• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's For Dinner?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
IMG20240419194431.jpg
IMG20240419194639.jpg

I'm making bbq'd fajitas tonight made with traditional beef plate primal aka skirt steak.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
View attachment 90670View attachment 90671

I'm making bbq'd fajitas tonight made with traditional beef plate primal aka skirt steak.
The best meats to buy are the less expensive ones -- skirt, brisket, plate, flank and (best) beef cheeks. You just have to know how to cook them properly -- and cut them. Well-used muscles have the most flavour, and what moves most on cattle? Cheeks (chewing cud) and tails (ox-tails, the great Jamaican stew).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The best meats to buy are the less expensive ones -- skirt, brisket, plate, flank and (best) beef cheeks. You just have to know how to cook them properly -- and cut them. Well-used muscles have the most flavour, and what moves most on cattle? Cheeks (chewing cud) and tails (ox-tails, the great Jamaican stew).

Yup, skirt is beef diaphragm. Definitely well used. I had to get it at the Mexican market, as the regular grocery store claims they don't keep it because it's too pricey to order in.

Beef tongue is good too if you slice it thin and grill it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ox tails are great. But they are not cheap. At least not here. They are typically at rib eye steak prices where I live. I blame the immigrants. Finally something that I can blame them for and not feel guilty. I figure that the "better" cuts of meat in their countries are more likely to be exported. Leaving them with the less desirable ones. When they come here they often bring their cuisine. Cows have only one tail and there is not a lot of meat on it. A slight increase in demand causes a big jump in price.

And I finally reproduced my mothers oxtail stew to my liking. Lots of time for the oxtails and chunky vegetables. This is not haute cuisine where the onion is almost minced.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This morning we went to market and bought some of this years first new potatoes and carrots.

When we arrived home i made a meat loaf and a tofu loaf.

Washed and rubbed the potatoes and carrots, steamed them, nuked the loaf's, dished out potatoes, carrots and portions of the loaf's. Cut a knob of butter on the potatoes and sprinkled with fresh garden mint.

Simple but delicious.

Yesterday i made a fruit cake, we had the leftovers of that for dessert

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Had a busy day so a quick dinner will be pasta bolognese. The pasta is fusili, takes 11 minutes to cook. The sauce is from the freezer, about 5 minutes to defrost then warm it up.