• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you follow your religion?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Why do you follow your religion?

I answer my question first:blush:

My religion is new age and omnism. I follow new age because I believe it is logical. I also follow new age because I think all religions have something beautiful and holy about them. I can't choose between the different religions, I can't do it. I love songs and worship from different religions. I feel belonging to many religions.

New age beliefs is that God's presense is everywere, that God's presense is also in the soul. Both the souls to human and souls to animals is divine because we are God's children. All souls is from the same source, who is God. And God are love. Because of that our souls is also love. Because of that all people are one. New age belief is also in reincarnation. I believe strongly in reincarnation. New age belief is that God has no religion. God is beyond religion

New age beliefs is also the belief in omnism. Omnism the belief that no religion is the only truth, but that truth is found within them all.
Omnists do not believe one spesific religion, if that was the case then it is not logical.

An analogy that support omnism is this:

Four blind men who discover an elephant.
Since the men have never encountered an elephant, they grope about, seeking to understand and describe this new phenomenon.
One grasps the trunk and concludes it is a snake.
Another explores one of the elephant's legs and describes it as a tree. A third finds the elephant's tail and announces that it is a rope.
And the fourth blind man, after discovering the elephant's side, concludes that it is, after all, a wall.
Each, in his blindness, is describing the same thing: an elephant. Yet each describes the same thing in a radically different way.

This was written by David Horner The Blind Men and the Elephant

Also almost all religions share this: belief in God, hell/heaven/reincarnation, holy souls or prophets, to be loving to others, prayers, ethical rules

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
I don’t follow a religion, but do follow and trust Jesus Christ because He said, “I am the way, the truth and the life… and He demonstrated His love and victory over sin and death. So I believe Jesus is sufficient for all my spiritual needs and eternal life.

Starlight

How do you reconcile between let's say "Trinitarianism and Monotheism"? Both cannot be true right?
Omnists do not believe one spesific religion (for example Christianity or hinduism is 100% literaly true.). if that was the case then it is not logical.

Since the men have never encountered an elephant, they grope about, seeking to understand and describe this new phenomenon.
Another explores one of the elephant's legs and describes it as a tree. A third finds the elephant's tail and announces that it is a rope.
And the fourth blind man, after discovering the elephant's side, concludes that it is, after all, a wall.
Each, in his blindness, is describing the same thing: an elephant. Yet each describes the same thing in a radically different way.

Also almost all religions share this: belief in God, hell/heaven/reincarnation, holy souls or prophets, to be loving to others, prayers, ethical rules

firedragon

Veteran Member
Omnists do not believe one spesific religion (for example Christianity or hinduism is 100% literaly true.). if that was the case then it is not logical.

Yep.
Still, how could the Trinity and Monotheism be true? One has to be false. or let's say Polytheism and Monotheism. One has to be false. Both cannot be true, unless you believe logical contradictions logically could exist.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I knew there was something wrong with me! :(

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep.
Still, how could the Trinity and Monotheism be true? One has to be false. or let's say Polytheism and Monotheism. One has to be false. Both cannot be true, unless you believe logical contradictions logically could exist.
Okay, I see where you're going with this.

The Trinity is true for a Trinitarian Christian. Monotheism is true for a Muslim.

Ne'er a logical contradiction to be found.

Starlight

Yep.
Most omnists and new agers believe that to have a good heart is what matters most. Is our actions who matters to God, not if you believe God is only one or a trinity

firedragon

Veteran Member
Most omnists and new agers believe that to have a good heart is what matters most. Is our actions who matters to God, not if you believe God is only one or a trinity
That's all great thoughts. But it's irrelevant to the logical contradiction between two concepts that oppose each other.
There cannot be a married bachelor. Logical impossibilities or logical contradictions cannot exist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you think a square triangle is a logical contradiction?
There are reasons aplenty to object to Trinitarian Christianity.

As it happens, claiming that Trinitarianism is in some sense anathema to Monotheism is not at all one of those.

As a matter of fact, it is a bit silly. As I often point out, many keyrings can be one-yet-triple. Would Abraham's rather transcendental and exceptional gods somehow fail to? I for one do not see any sense in that.

That the objection is even raised is however enlightening of the nature of the expectations of certain monotheists and monotheisms.

firedragon

Veteran Member
There are reasons aplenty to object to Trinitarian Christianity.

As it happens, claiming that Trinitarianism is in some sense anathema to Monotheism is not at all one of those.

That the objection is even raised is however enlightening of the nature of the expectations of certain monotheists and monotheisms.
Thanks.