• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you follow your religion?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Ad hominem.
Speaks to behavior, not character...

...though...​

...your choice to call it ad hominem is telling.​

captain-america-i-can-do-this-all-day.png

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I am Roman Catholic because it works for me. I am sure I have some things right and some things wrong but overall, I believe that God knows my heart and he wants me to be fulfilled, which I am.

I don't believe that God tests us before He allows us into Heaven. I think we're all in for some surprises on that day.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why do you follow your religion?

I answer my question first:blush:

My religion is new age and omnism. I follow new age because I believe it is logical. I also follow new age because I think all religions have something beautiful and holy about them. I can't choose between the different religions, I can't do it. I love songs and worship from different religions. I feel belonging to many religions.

New age beliefs is that God's presense is everywere, that God's presense is also in the soul. Both the souls to human and souls to animals is divine because we are God's children. All souls is from the same source, who is God. And God are love. Because of that our souls is also love. Because of that all people are one. New age belief is also in reincarnation. I believe strongly in reincarnation. New age belief is that God has no religion. God is beyond religion

New age beliefs is also the belief in omnism. Omnism the belief that no religion is the only truth, but that truth is found within them all.
Omnists do not believe one spesific religion, if that was the case then it is not logical.

An analogy that support omnism is this:

Four blind men who discover an elephant.
Since the men have never encountered an elephant, they grope about, seeking to understand and describe this new phenomenon.
One grasps the trunk and concludes it is a snake.
Another explores one of the elephant's legs and describes it as a tree. A third finds the elephant's tail and announces that it is a rope.
And the fourth blind man, after discovering the elephant's side, concludes that it is, after all, a wall.
Each, in his blindness, is describing the same thing: an elephant. Yet each describes the same thing in a radically different way.

This was written by David Horner The Blind Men and the Elephant

Also almost all religions share this: belief in God, hell/heaven/reincarnation, holy souls or prophets, to be loving to others, prayers, ethical rules

Originally, because I didn't know any better. Later on, because I thought they would lead to a better understanding of the truth.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I follow Omnism because in my Christian upbringing I didn't find cohesion with what I gleaned from study, what I was taught, and what I somehow just felt. I was fortunate to be taught "to follow no man blindly" so that sprouted and grew into a life-long openness to contemplating the Mysteries.

My first delving was with other Christian sects. I was very impressed with the Unity Church as followed by Ralph Waldo Emerson, which led me to other early New England faiths where I found the Society of Friends. I knew then I was meant to explore.

My first great discovery outside of Christianity and Judaism was reading Herman Hesse's _Siddhartha_. I also began reading Confucius and discovered the connections with non-religious thought. Greek and Roman Mythology had very good moral lessons, but I didn't connect in other ways. I had a little more success with Norse, and with Native American basics, but the most "new to me connections" have come from the mystics of Asia and Kabbalah of Judaism.

I'm still investigating.

Spice

Also almost all religions share this: belief in God, hell/heaven/reincarnation, holy souls or prophets, to be loving to others, prayers, ethical rules
@Starlight, How did you find connection between Abrahamic theology and reincarnation?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

Spice

Many jews believe in reincarnation: https://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380599/jewish/Judaism-and-Reincarnation.htm, What Judaism Says About Reincarnation | My Jewish Learning

Early christianity believed in reincarnation

Islamic sects like the alawites and druze believe in reincarnation
Yes, I knew of Kabbalah, however, I did not know of the Alawites and Druze. Thank you. It'll be interesting reading, I'm sure. But you haven't come across a Christian following that believes in reincarnation, at least not since the Second Council of Constantinople? There are a few that don't completely frown upon it least -- Liberal Quakers and Unitarian Universalist.