• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Religion Exist

Why does religion exist

• 1-Superstition

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • 2-Tool of control

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • 3-To convey valuable life lessons

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • 4-Profound truth

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 5-Other

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I personally believe religion is a side effect of how our intelligence evolved, and how our brain works.

We are a curious species, pondering, we love patterns, even to the point that we see patterns where there are none (because that can have evolutionary advantages). Guesses is better then no action at all.

I suspect religion has been unavoidable for an advanced intelligent species, not necessarily in an organized form as homo sapiens has had it though but that has worked well for our social structure.

I think we humans want to have an answer for everything. Even if we have to make one up.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Here are a few reasons you may or may not agree with.

1-Religion is a holdover of superstition from a time with limited scientific knowledge that we have since grow out of so it no longer has any value in our lives.

2-Religion is a tool is a tool that was and can be used to control the masses.

3-Religion contains valuable lessons like fables to aid people in their journey through life.

4-Religion is a profound truth that if understood leads one to a correct understanding of reality/the universe.

5-Other. A different reason for why religion exists which doesn't fit into any of the above. Please explain.
I wpuld choose “other”. Religion exists because our brains have naturalistic evolved traits that favors the belief in conscious agencies, even when there is no conscious agency involved. Therefore, beliefs in gods are a by-product of our evolutionary past.

ciao

- viole

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Interesting that when you think about rudimentary religion, you think "feelings of awe," but when I think about rudimentary religion, I think "tribalism."
I base my thoughts about rudimentary religion on things like the development of proto-religion in chimps, which very definitely is connected to feelings of awe.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What does Paul's writings have to do with what gospel writer Luke wrote in Acts of the Apostles __________________
Paul did Not address Theophilus - Acts 1 to 5.
Acts 1:6-8 is Jesus (Yeshua) speaking and instructing in verse 8
Just as Jesus gave instructions at Matthew 24:14
" Acts of the Apostles "
"Luke-Acts was written by an anonymous Christian* author who may not have been an eyewitness to any of the events recorded within the text."
*Pauline Christian
It was definitely neither written by Yeshua, nor by anyone amongst the "twelve " so its contents and as also the contents of other Gospels, I understand, are not reliable, please, right?

Regards

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
" Acts of the Apostles "
"Luke-Acts was written by an anonymous Christian* author who may not have been an eyewitness to any of the events recorded within the text."
*Pauline Christian
It was definitely neither written by Yeshua, nor by anyone amongst the "twelve " so its contents and as also the contents of other Gospels are not reliable, please, right?

Regards
It's as reliable as the quran.