• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Religion Exist

Why does religion exist

• 1-Superstition

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • 2-Tool of control

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • 3-To convey valuable life lessons

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • 4-Profound truth

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 5-Other

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Funny because that sounds like science to me.

“God doesn’t exist but we can’t explain how everything was created we just know God didn’t do it because….um….He doesn’t exist.”

I don't know that God exists nor do I know that God doesn't exist. One version of science is to accept of a given question we don't know.
So you are attacking a version of science I don't use.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Funny because that sounds like science to me.

“God doesn’t exist but we can’t explain how everything was created we just know God didn’t do it because….um….He doesn’t exist.”
Science makes NO CLAIM that God doesn't exist. Science is a specific method to determine facts about the natural world. Anything that is supernatural, including God, is simply outside its purview. While many scientists are atheist, most are theists.

Are you aware of the form of illogical thinking called the Strawman Fallacy? It's when a person creates a fake assertion that they impute to their interlocutor and then proceed to attack it so that they don't have to address the real points the other is making. IOW they create a "strawman" that they can then knock down. Doing this, as you did above, does not score any points for you.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I ticked "other."

As I see it, religion came to be as a result of a humankind's desire to understand the nature of their being, the nature of the world in which they lived, and their purpose in this world.

And then superstition came into existence.

IndigoChild5559

I was following it. It just wasn't clear to me what trait was being selected and I was hoping you could elaborate.
The instinct towards religion. Reference my reply in post #98.

Basically, evolutionary biologist David Sloan Wilson teaches that evolution selects for religious ideation. It is adaptive largely because religion helps to form cooperative groups, and cooperative groups out compete non-cooperative groups every time. IOW, it exists due to group selection.

Yerda

Veteran Member
The instinct towards religion. Reference my reply in post #98.

Basically, evolutionary biologist David Sloan Wilson teaches that evolution selects for religious ideation. It is adaptive largely because religion helps to form cooperative groups, and cooperative groups out compete non-cooperative groups every time. IOW, it exists due to group selection.
Seems plausible enough at first glance.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
True. I'm just confused as to why you chose reply to my post to assert this rather than replying to the OP.

Ah. Let me elaborate then. You have said: "As I see it, religion came to be as a result of a humankind's desire to understand the nature of their being, the nature of the world in which they lived, and their purpose in this world."

I disagree with you a bit here. In that religion is not the result of that, but rather superstition. And superstition gave birth to religion.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah. Let me elaborate then. You have said: "As I see it, religion came to be as a result of a humankind's desire to understand the nature of their being, the nature of the world in which they lived, and their purpose in this world."

I disagree with you a bit here. In that religion is not the result of that, but rather superstition. And superstition gave birth to religion.
Do you have any evidence to substantiate your disagreement and subsequent claim? Or are you just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, but you first.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Sorry friend, but that's not how it works.

I was offering my ideas in response to the OP on why religion exists. I never made a claim. I never made an assertion that my ideas were objectively evident.

You came along and decided to refute these ideas. Since you made claim, the onus is on you to substantiate that claim.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Sorry friend, but that's not how it works.

I was offering my ideas in response to the OP on why religion exists. I never made a claim. I never made an assertion that my ideas were objectively evident.

You came along and decided to refute these ideas. Since you made claim, the onus is on you to substantiate that claim.

I didn't come along and decided to refute your ideas, but rather used them to expound my perspective. Neither have I claimed that it was objectively evident.

Tinkerpeach

I don't know that God exists nor do I know that God doesn't exist. One version of science is to accept of a given question we don't know.
So you are attacking a version of science I don't use.
No I’m simply making an observation and what you said would be correct.

Nobody can know for certain until they are dead.
Science makes NO CLAIM that God doesn't exist. Science is a specific method to determine facts about the natural world. Anything that is supernatural, including God, is simply outside its purview. While many scientists are atheist, most are theists.

Are you aware of the form of illogical thinking called the Strawman Fallacy? It's when a person creates a fake assertion that they impute to their interlocutor and then proceed to attack it so that they don't have to address the real points the other is making. IOW they create a "strawman" that they can then knock down. Doing this, as you did above, does not score any points for you.
Good that means people can’t claim there is no God and be credible then.

IndigoChild5559

Good that means people can’t claim there is no God and be credible then.
Given that there is no proof either of the existence of God or non-existence of God, both the claim that "There is a God" and "there is no God" are equally indefensible. Most people have whichever beliefs their friends and family hold. Of those who actually do care about evidence, there are a number of ways a person may opt for one side or the other without actual proof.

You might want to read the thread I began on Agnostic Theism, in which I talk about some of these issues in more detail.