• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does Religion Exist

Why does religion exist

• 1-Superstition

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • 2-Tool of control

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • 3-To convey valuable life lessons

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • 4-Profound truth

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • 5-Other

Votes: 34 68.0%

• Total voters

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Why does religion exist? My answer is because the human psyche cannot be wholly contained within our everyday environment (unless you practice extreme and continual mindfulness-and that can take a lot of effort.)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The elements were not yet in existence when the Big Bang began.
Before the Big Bang began God's spirit existed - Isaiah 40:26; Psalm 104:30
In other words, God's Power and Strength supplied the abundantly needed dynamic energy needed to create the material realm of existence.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No I’m simply making an observation and what you said would be correct.
Nobody can know for certain until they are dead.
Good that means people can’t claim there is no God and be credible then.
Since the dead are dead and know nothing then the dead can't know - Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18
Even in the Bible human Adam was a created mortal.
At death mortal dead Adam simply 'returned' back to where Adam started the dust of the ground - Genesis 2:17
A person can't go back returning to a place he never was before.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Before the Big Bang began God's spirit existed - Isaiah 40:26; Psalm 104:30
In other words, God's Power and Strength supplied the abundantly needed dynamic energy needed to create the material realm of existence.
Science says absolutely nothing about "before" the Big Bang. In fact the question itself doesn't really fit, since time only came into existence with the Big Bang.

No passage from ANY religious text carries any authority about scientific realities.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Why does religion exist? My answer is because the human psyche cannot be wholly contained within our everyday environment (unless you practice extreme and continual mindfulness-and that can take a lot of effort.)
Then, how does one explain a devout atheist with No religion _____________
Of course, some people look in a mirror and see their god, but is that religion of just worship of self ________

IndigoChild5559

Then, how does one explain a devout atheist with No religion _____________
Of course, some people look in a mirror and see their god, but is that religion of just worship of self ________
My friend, I think you would do well to work on becoming a better listener. I personally believe in God, but I think the atheists in here do a marvelous job of explaining why they are atheists, and why morality and good character is still important to them. All we need to do is listen with the intent to understand.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Here are a few reasons you may or may not agree with.

1-Religion is a holdover of superstition from a time with limited scientific knowledge that we have since grow out of so it no longer has any value in our lives.

2-Religion is a tool is a tool that was and can be used to control the masses.

3-Religion contains valuable lessons like fables to aid people in their journey through life.

4-Religion is a profound truth that if understood leads one to a correct understanding of reality/the universe.

5-Other. A different reason for why religion exists which doesn't fit into any of the above. Please explain.
I believe superstitions occur all the time and science has its share. That doesn't mean that all of religion is superstitious or that all of science is superstitious.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I ticked "other."

As I see it, religion came to be as a result of a humankind's desire to understand the nature of their being, the nature of the world in which they lived, and their purpose in this world.
I believe that is philosophy of which religion is only one part.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
Why Does Religion Exist?
Why it must not exist, please?
Religion has many useful benefits for the off-spring, why deny the progeny of the assets they inherit from their forefathers/mothers lawfully, please, right?*
I don't say that the bad effects of Indoctrinations, if any, are not to be cared against, right?
It is good to educate the children instead of leaving them blank in the wild to suffer, right?
Regards
To me there is No point to religion or worship if there is No future hope.
If there is nothing after death, no future life, there is No need for religion.
So, religion exists because of the teaching about the Resurrection for the dead.
'There is going to be....' ( future ) a resurrection - Acts 24:15
@stevecanuck also please,
There is nothing in my post that says that there in no afterlife, right?

Acts , however is not from from (Jesus)Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah, it is a Pauline misleading document, to deviate people from the path of Yeshua followed, the teachings he gave and the deeds he did, I understand, right?

Regards

IndigoChild5559

paarsurrey said:
Why Does Religion Exist?
Religion appears to have its origins in the feelings of awe that humans have in gazing at the wonders of nature. We began acting religious long before we had any concept of gods or theologies. Indeed, religion may even predate homo sapiens. Many ethologists say that chimps exhibit behaviors that, if it were humans doing it, we would certainly call religious.

Why does it still exist? Evolutionary biologists such as David Sloan Wilson say it is because it is adaptive. Not only does religion increase our wellbeing, it helps cooperative groups to form.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:....................................................................................................
Acts , however is not from from (Jesus)Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah, it is a Pauline misleading document, to deviate people from the path of Yeshua followed, the teachings he gave and the deeds he did, I understand, right?
Regards
What does Paul's writings have to do with what gospel writer Luke wrote in Acts of the Apostles __________________
Paul did Not address Theophilus - Acts 1 to 5.
Acts 1:6-8 is Jesus (Yeshua) speaking and instructing in verse 8
Just as Jesus gave instructions at Matthew 24:14

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My friend, I think you would do well to work on becoming a better listener. I personally believe in God, but I think the atheists in here do a marvelous job of explaining why they are atheists, and why morality and good character is still important to them. All we need to do is listen with the intent to understand.
Yes, even an atheist can gladly give you the shirt off his back if necessary
We are all to broaden out, widen out in showing practical love to one in distress as the good Samaritan did,
But what atheist will tell others about the good news of God's Kingdom - Revelation 22:2; Daniel 2:44
Listen to Jesus with the intent to understand his teachings such as found at Matthew 24:13-14; Acts 1:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
They have other means by which to expand their mind--philosophy, mathematics, art, etc.
Not all religions involve worship.
What ever a person puts as first in one's life is one's worship
Even putting oneself as first can make one's self as one's god
Putting first or giving first priority to philosophies, mathematics, art, etc. can be a form of secular worship

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, even an atheist can gladly give you the shirt off his back if necessary
We are all to broaden out, widen out in showing practical love to one in distress as the good Samaritan did,
But what atheist will tell others about the good news of God's Kingdom - Revelation 22:2; Daniel 2:44
Listen to Jesus with the intent to understand his teachings such as found at Matthew 24:13-14; Acts 1:8

Well, I could reverse it and ask if it can be done without an active postive belief in God. And to an old atheist like me, then yes. I can in pratice agree on everyday morality with some religious people without needing to go into natural versus supernatural.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What ever a person puts as first in one's life is one's worship
Even putting oneself as first can make one's self as one's god
Putting first or giving first priority to philosophies, mathematics, art, etc. can be a form of secular worship

Read this one down to: The subject of religion is discussed in a number of articles.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Religion appears to have its origins in the feelings of awe that humans have in gazing at the wonders of nature. We began acting religious long before we had any concept of gods or theologies. Indeed, religion may even predate homo sapiens. Many ethologists say that chimps exhibit behaviors that, if it were humans doing it, we would certainly call religious.
I agree that religious behavior probably predates Homo sapiens. And it's not just chimps and the other great apes; elephants have also been observed in behaviors that could be interpreted as religious. Also in the Corvid birds around the world. In addition to awe at the wonders of nature, I think most of early religion was rooted in attempting to actualize the relationships with other-than-human persons in the environment, upon whom early humans depended for food, water, shelter, protection from predators, good health, and so on. I think this would naturally have included relations with the ancestors.

TheSwede

I personally believe religion is a side effect of how our intelligence evolved, and how our brain works.

We are a curious species, pondering, we love patterns, even to the point that we see patterns where there are none (because that can have evolutionary advantages). Guesses is better then no action at all.

I suspect religion has been unavoidable for an advanced intelligent species, not necessarily in an organized form as homo sapiens has had it though but that has worked well for our social structure.