• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Let the states decide.”

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I’m sort of jumping in hundred of replies deep, so help me out here please.

You are referring to whether someone deems a fetus a person, correct?

I think some people agree that a fetus is a person yet they support abortion. Not all pro choicers agree that a fetus is a person, but I do. But it doesn’t mean we should ban abortion. So I think it would be possible to move on from the point “is a fetus a person” and go from there on the topic.
I don't think so because if the fetus is a person, it requires protection generally speaking.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I don't think so because if the fetus is a person, it requires protection generally speaking.
And this can be a discussion point.

You say “generally” speaking. So not in all cases does a person require protection, correct? Such as a murderer sentenced to death by the state, we are not obligated to protect their life, correct?

Kathryn

And this can be a discussion point.

You say “generally” speaking. So not in all cases does a person require protection, correct? Such as a murderer sentenced to death by the state, we are not obligated to protect their life, correct?
Actually I am pretty consistent. I don't believe that the death sentence as applied in this country (USA) is all that sound either.

Kathryn

But I am not going to split hairs one way or the other, when most abortions are not carried out to for rape or incest. I know what I would do but I am not going to die on that hill so to speak. That's why I use the term "generally," Also the matter of the life of the mother, the actual LIFE of the mother. If it is truly at stake, and she chooses to have an abortion, I consider that to be a matter of self defense. That is also rare but it does happen occasionally.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
But I am not going to split hairs one way or the other, when most abortions are not carried out to for rape or incest.
There are many valid reasons for abortion besides the two you listed, such as the inherent danger of childbirth to the mother.

I wasn’t making an irrelevant distinction either. I was showing that life is not always worthy of protection. Just because something is alive does not grant it protection at the expense of others.

Kathryn

There are many valid reasons for abortion besides the two you listed, such as the inherent danger of childbirth to the mother.

I wasn’t making an irrelevant distinction either. I was showing that life is not always worthy of protection. Just because something is alive does not grant it protection at the expense of others.
I addressed the actual threat to the life of the mother.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What are you saying nope to? That childbirth is inherently dangerous? Because it is. Every single birth is a danger to the mother. We can mitigate the danger, but the risk still exists. So if you say that if there is a risk to the mother, and the abortion would be self defense, then you should always support abortion. Your argument is illogical because every birth is a danger to the mother.

Kathryn

You asked if I agreed that abortions should be at the mother's discretion and I said nope. Sorry you find my answers to be confusing but there it is. Of course some births are more risky than others but thankfully those don't make up the majority of abortions. If they did, I might respond differently but they don't.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
You asked if I agreed that abortions should be at the mother's discretion and I said nope. Sorry you find my answers to be confusing but there it is. Of course some births are more risky than others but thankfully those don't make up the majority of abortions.
When you don’t elaborate and leave me with one word, I might get confused…

So you don’t agree that abortions should be allowed if the mother’s life is in danger? Because if you did, you would agree that it would be best to allow the mother to have an abortion at her discretion. Because every birth is risky (which you didn’t say “nope” to). I see inconsistencies in your logic, and I mean to point them out in the spirit of useful and enlightening debate.

Kathryn

When you don’t elaborate and leave me with one word, I might get confused…

So you don’t agree that abortions should be allowed if the mother’s life is in danger? Because if you did, you would agree that it would be best to allow the mother to have an abortion at her discretion. Because every birth is risky (which you didn’t say “nope” to). I see inconsistencies in your logic, and I mean to point them out in the spirit of useful and enlightening debate.

Sorry you see inconsistencies but I have clarified over and over again that pregnancy is a unique state of being.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
If they're POWs and not shooting at you, yes.

But you're talking about children. Some of these pro-abortion arguments I see are flat-out deranged and come off as psychopathic.
My point is there is a grey area when it comes to whether we should protect life or not. It is not 100% of the time “if it’s alive we gotta protect it”

Kathryn

Instead of being sorry maybe you can answer my points and leave me with something more than -

?
Pregnancy IS a unique state of being. It's unique in many ways and one way is that though the mother is her own being, she is also responsible for the being of another person.