• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Let the states decide.”

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think first you need a definition that's universally accepted when a fetus becomes a human. Once that's done, I'm sure there would be across the board agreement.

However there are always exceptions but like Bill Clinton would say, "Safe, legal, and rare".
I agree, and a million abortions a year are not done for the reasons I posted.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
That dosent make a lick of sense. If I need a medical procedure and it isn't available my state then I will simply go to a state where it does have it.

Pretty straightforward isn't it?
Ok, if it is so straightforward then it is a simple question. What kind of medical procedure would you travel out of state for?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If reducing the number of abortions is your goal, then there are lots of options available besides stripping pregnant people of bodily autonomy:

- minimize unwanted pregnancies by ensuring good, mandatory sex ed in schools and contraception readily available to anyone who needs it.

- make it as easily possible for people to freely choose to bring a pregnancy to term by addressing the reasons for abortion.

And BTW: here are those reasons:

The reasons most frequently cited were that having a child would interfere with a woman's education, work or ability to care for dependents (74%); that she could not afford a baby now (73%); and that she did not want to be a single mother or was having relationship problems (48%).

If you don't support measures like:

- geting proper sex ed into schools,
- requiring employers to grant reasonable (i.e. a year or more) paid, job-protected leaves for pregnancy and to care for their new baby, and
- making parenthood affordable and practically possible for anyone with a full-time job (e.g. public health insurance and affordable child care)

... then I'm not going to believe that your anti-choice stance is really about "saving innocent babies."

Kathryn

If reducing the number of abortions is your goal, then there are lots of options available besides stripping pregnant people of bodily autonomy:

- minimize unwanted pregnancies by ensuring good, mandatory sex ed in schools and contraception readily available to anyone who needs it.

- make it as easily possible for people to freely choose to bring a pregnancy to term by addressing the reasons for abortion.

And BTW: here are those reasons:

If you don't support measures like:

- geting proper sex ed into schools,
- requiring employers to grant reasonable (i.e. a year or more) paid, job-protected leaves for pregnancy and to care for their new baby, and
- making parenthood affordable and practically possible for anyone with a full-time job (e.g. public health insurance and affordable child care)

... then I'm not going to believe that your anti-choice stance is really about "saving innocent babies."
But I do support sex ed in schools, and sure, I can support the other things as long as they are not provided by the government.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
But I do support sex ed in schools, and sure, I can support the other things as long as they are not provided by the government.
So you support free contraceptives, as long as It is not provided by the government.

Do you provide free contraception to people in your community? Would you?

wellwisher

Mmhmm. Most of the people on either side of the issue are women, from what I can see from watching pro life videos and seeing rallies/marches. Men don't care that much about it either way, it seems.
Men are more concerned with the larger issues that impact people of all ages and walks of life. They do not fixate on just their own self serving special interest group; women and abortion. Lefty women are the most selfish. Men are more concerned with inflation, crime, illegal immigration that impact everyone. Men, as husband and fathers have had to worry about the bigger picture, for eons, and never had as much free time or ride for self indulgence loopholes.

Say abortion was legal, but treated like the right to own guns. In this scenario women can have an abortion, but do not get a free ride. Rather they have to pay for their own, just like with gun ownership. Say there is also inflation on abortion services, like there is now on energy, food and housing, and the price of an abortion increases by 25%. Would women worry about inflation? Or would they expect a government free ride to take up that slack? Like guns, a women could have the right to have an abortion, but have to pay. This would still a right. Free ride abortion is not a right, anymore than it is for gun ownership.

I would prefer we treat abortion like cosmetic surgery. A woman may not need a nose job, for health reasons. However, if she believes it can make her feel better about herself, and she is willing to save, since it may not not be covered by insurance or government handouts, let her, pursue her happiness. Having abortion, go back to the states, with not all states offering this service, is actually leading to this more free market solution; medical tourism. This will not be a free ride, but still can be worth the expense, like the nose job, if it is that important. While the extra effort, will decrease future abortions, while leaving the option open.

Gun owners have the right to own guns, but they not only have to buy their own guns and ammo, but depending on the state, they also have jump through more or less hoops. Too many Liberal women think they deserve a free ride and no hoops. How about we do that with guns? Would that free ride approach with no hoops, make the gun problem worse or better? The same is true of abortion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It seems all the abortion controversy revolves around when a fetus stops being a fetus and then is regarded as human.

For me personally, it's when a fetus can feel pain.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
- requiring employers to grant reasonable (i.e. a year or more) paid, job-protected leaves for pregnancy and to care for their new baby....
That's reasonable?
To the extent legally possible, I'd never hire anyone
who might get a newborn (eg, by birth or adoption).
Paying them for a year or more for no work is quite
a burden. And then what would happen when they
return....just fire their replacement?
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
If you really want to pay people for giving birth, then
spread the burden to all taxpayers.

Pogo

It seems all the abortion controversy revolves around when a fetus stops being a fetus and then is regarded as human.

For me personally, it's when a fetus can feel pain.
From the code of federal regulations.
§ 46.202 Definitions.
The definitions in § 46.102 shall be applicable to this subpart as well. In addition, as used in this subpart:

(a) Dead fetus means a fetus that exhibits neither heartbeat, spontaneous respiratory activity, spontaneous movement of voluntary muscles, nor pulsation of the umbilical cord.

(b) Delivery means complete separation of the fetus from the woman by expulsion or extraction or any other means.

(c) Fetus means the product of conception from implantation until delivery.

(d) Neonate means a newborn.

(e) Nonviable neonate means a neonate after delivery that, although living, is not viable.

Now how you wish to deal with other issues is another question, but it stops being a fetus when it is born.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
§ 46.202 Definitions.
The definitions in § 46.102 shall be applicable to this subpart as well. In addition, as used in this subpart:

(a) Dead fetus means a fetus that exhibits neither heartbeat, spontaneous respiratory activity, spontaneous movement of voluntary muscles, nor pulsation of the umbilical cord.

(b) Delivery means complete separation of the fetus from the woman by expulsion or extraction or any other means.

(e) Nonviable neonate means a neonate after delivery that, although living, is not viable.

Now how you wish to deal with other issues is another question, but it stops being a fetus when it is born.
So a baby the very day before it is born. Is nothing but a fetus? Am I right?

Kathryn

§ 46.202 Definitions.

See what I mean?

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
There is not an answer for this question, which is why I refused to answer it.

The question has a clear "yes" or "no" answer, but you do not want to say either. That is itself a kind of answer, and we can all draw our own conclusions from a non-answer.

You could tell us why you think it has no answer, but I suspect you can't really explain what is wrong with the question. It is one that a state government answers very clearly when it passes a law. And you support their answer when you favor the law. That is the whole point of asking the question. To get some sense of why you support laws that answer the question for you. This has nothing to do with how we define personhood. It has to do with whether a government should have the right to take away a woman's control over her own body and her own pregnancy.