• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Let the states decide.”

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The government pretty regularly puts people to death. I'd say that's a medical decision.

No it is not, it is a rather archaic understanding of due process vs individual rights and cruel and unusual punishment, it is also anything but regular.
It is really weird and troubling that someone would bring up the death penalty as a way of justifying the government getting involved in medical decisions.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It is really weird and troubling that someone would bring up the death penalty as a way of justifying the government getting involved in medical decisions.
I didn't bring it up as a way of justifying the government getting involved.

Pogo

I would agree to a universal consensus on what abortion is and isnt, and only in that context can we have something across the board for the entire nation although I would give such people trying to bring such a consensus the best of luck.
Legally that is well defined again, it is a medical term though many seem to add all sorts of baggage to it.

abortion​

Abortion is the voluntary termination of a pregnancy. In 2022, nearly 50 years after Roe v. Wade changed the legal status of abortion by striking down a Texas law that criminalized abortion except as a means of saving the life of the pregnant person, the United States Supreme Court in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization held that abortion is not a fundamental right under the US Constitution, clearing the way for states to pass laws restricting abortions that would have to withstand only rational-basis review when challenged in courts.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I would agree to a universal consensus on what abortion is and isnt, and only in that context can we have something across the board for the entire nation although I would give such people trying to bring such a consensus the best of luck.
Medical definition of abortion:
Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy before the fetus can survive outside the uterus. It can occur spontaneously, known as a miscarriage, or be induced intentionally through medical or surgical procedures.​

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
You don't pay attention to them, you recognize when repetition of certain ideas become one.
I believe I am reasonably informed but I pay no attention to memes or Trump.

Maybe you've been hanging out here too long. And maybe I am too removed from politics but people around here don't talk much about politics and I am pretty busy with real life. (And some of my best friends are Democrats!)

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
They won't be represented with their view than a fetus is more than just a piece of tissue after a certain period of time.

First of all, you never identified which women you were talking about. Now you reveal that the group of women you were talking about believe that the fetus is "more than just a piece of tissue". That would seem to describe pretty much all women, whether they feel they need an abortion or not.

But I'm guessing that you are thinking of those women who oppose abortion for other women, not just themselves. How are they not being represented? That is the question I was asking.

If you believe that the anti-abortion women can only be represented by getting their wish for other women not to have abortions, would that not then make the women who want to have an abortion "not represented"? If you are concerned about one group of women not being represented, then how would it help to take away the representation of the other group? Or is it just that you are only concerned about the representation of one specific group of women and not the other? Can you clarify?

That's why it's a states right issue and not a federal issue with the only exception of across the board consensus.

Huh??? Why would this have anything to do with the level of government that ought to have the power to take away a woman's right to control her own health and manage her condition of pregnancy?

Copernicus

The question has a clear "yes" or "no" answer, but you do not want to say either. That is itself a kind of answer, and we can all draw our own conclusions from a non-answer.

You could tell us why you think it has no answer, but I suspect you can't really explain what is wrong with the question. It is one that a state government answers very clearly when it passes a law. And you support their answer when you favor the law. That is the whole point of asking the question. To get some sense of why you support laws that answer the question for you. This has nothing to do with how we define personhood. It has to do with whether a government should have the right to take away a woman's control over her own body and her own pregnancy.

Not for me. For me, it totally has to do with the government protecting our lives.

Another cryptic response for me to puzzle out. Whose lives? The mother's? The fetus's? o_O Sometimes the lives of women are put at risk to save a nonviable fetus simply because doctors are uncertain of the legality of treating a pregnant woman. I have no doubt that you want everyone to live, but there are so many ways that these laws can end up killing when they take choices away from pregnant women and medical professionals. I understand that you disapprove of the choices that most women seeking an abortion make. You've made that clear. But the only way you can achieve your goal seems to be by having the government force women to carry their pregnancies to term. By taking away their control over their bodies, once they find themselves in a condition of pregnancy. Even when the law carves out exceptions to abortion bans, doctors tend to be uncertain about the legality going ahead with an abortion, especially if some court might later decide that they made the wrong judgement. Better for them to err on the side of caution, but not for the pregnant woman.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
First of all, you never identified which women you were talking about. Now you reveal that the group of women you were talking about believe that the fetus is "more than just a piece of tissue". That would seem to describe pretty much all women, whether they feel they need an abortion or not.

But I'm guessing that you are thinking of those women who oppose abortion for other women, not just themselves. How are they not being represented? That is the question I was asking.

If you believe that the anti-abortion women can only be represented by getting their wish for other women not to have abortions, would that not then make the women who want to have an abortion "not represented"? If you are concerned about one group of women not being represented, then how would it help to take away the representation of the other group? Or is it just that you are only concerned about the representation of one specific group of women and not the other? Can you clarify?

Huh??? Why would this have anything to do with the level of government that ought to have the power to take away a woman's right to control her own health and manage her condition of pregnancy?
Um those women are referencing to would be what you would call a pro-lifer being you're not familiar with the term. You're welcome.

Copernicus

Um those women are referencing to would be what you would call a pro-lifer being you're not familiar with the term. You're welcome.

Please make a greater effort to write in coherent English. I get from this that you prefer me to use the label "pro-Life", even though the label is quite inaccurate.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Please make a greater effort to write in coherent English. I get from this that you prefer me to use the label "pro-Life", even though the label is quite inaccurate.
Maybe in the future you could do some sensible comments for a change instead of this unintelligible b******* you're spewing out.

crossfire

Premium Member
Do you want the states to be able to decide to prosecute women for having a miscarriage? It's happened in Ohio:
and in Oklahoma:
And in Alabama:
Texas charges women with murder for taking misoprostol:

and many others:

crossfire

Premium Member
Texas is suing against the shield law that protects women's medical records when they go out of state for an abortion: is it that State's right to pursue someone for legal activity in another state? Article from Sept 6, 2024. So much for the argument that you can go to where the laws suit you. Texas obviously does not agree with that argument. Slaves can't wander off the plantation.

Last edited: