• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Most Common Misconceptions about Islam

kai

ragamuffin
I see every Muslim on this thread has ignored my question as to, what does the Koran say about keeping dogs as pets and what does Islam say about dogs?

This might be of interest:

t is not permissible for a Muslim to keep a dog, unless he needs this dog for hunting, guarding livestock or guarding crops.

Al-Bukhaari (2145) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, a qiraat from his good deeds will be deducted every day, except a dog for farming or herding livestock.”

Islam Question and Answer - Prohibition on keeping dogs except those exempted by sharee

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The prohibition of having dogs as pets inside the house is based on Hadith as Kai has posted. There is nothing in Qur'an about not having dogs inside the house. As a matter of fact, "The Cave" Surah 18:22, says the following:

18:22 (Some) say they were three, the dog being the fourth among them; (others) say they were five, the dog being the sixth,- doubtfully guessing at the unknown; (yet others) say they were seven, the dog being the eighth. Say thou: "My Lord knoweth best their number; It is but few that know their (real case)." Enter not, therefore, into controversies concerning them, except on a matter that is clear, nor consult any of them about (the affair of) the Sleepers.

These "good believers" called so by Allah, had dogs amongst them. Some find Abu Hurayrah's hadith a contradiction to the Qur'an, but the vast majority of Muslims will not keep dogs based on that Hadith.

earlwooters

So Muslims are basing many of their beliefs on other books and not the Qur'an? Are there any texts in the Qur'an that prohibit or allow this? Not having read all of the Qur'an, it is better to ask those that have.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
This might be of interest:

t is not permissible for a Muslim to keep a dog, unless he needs this dog for hunting, guarding livestock or guarding crops.

Al-Bukhaari (2145) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, a qiraat from his good deeds will be deducted every day, except a dog for farming or herding livestock.”

Islam Question and Answer - Prohibition on keeping dogs except those exempted by sharee

Sounds like a bank transaction

Starsoul

Truth
So Muslims are basing many of their beliefs on other books and not the Qur'an? Are there any texts in the Qur'an that prohibit or allow this? Not having read all of the Qur'an, it is better to ask those that have.

Hi earl, i have read the bible and that never means im the right authority to ask any questions on it, you'll go to a pastor, bishop if a matter of religious concern needs to be asked by a well read authority.

Im a muslim, and i have read the Quran, and there are other books which explain the rulings of the Quran e hakeem in more detail for clarity. Those books are entirely based on the practise of the Prophet Muhhammad (pbuh) himself. And have been complied into narrations called as Ahadith. Scholars of Islam take all guidance from these souces, i.e Quran and the Sunnah ( the life of the Prophet saww) .

Why? because we believe in One God being the sole creator , sole benefactor for the entire creation, and with that belief, It is Only He who knows whats best for his creation, simple as that. No belief system can get any simpler than that, we believe Him to be the sole authority over all matters that we come across in life. So His word, His opinions, His likes and dislikes , not only matter to us, we actually feel peace in our hearts, joy in our souls when we do as He says. If you ask me, there is no other Joy in life than being able to practise what we believe in with pure intentions and as He desires of us.

As for your dog question, why do you need to know?

Starsoul

Truth
Sounds like a bank transaction

reading from the dumb anti -islamic rant in all the previous pages, an intellectual command from a religious source would seem too intelligent for you ain't it?

As for those who have the time to expose their severe intellectual handicap by blatantly indulging in mindless inept intolerant bigotry against Islam, what more can be said than, go ahead bang your heads and go crazy , lol looks like people really need to rant against any religion to emerge as a notice-able intellectual among their peers, feel bad for them, they bash Islam as the worst religion, and yet they Stoop so low to criticize it without ever having gone through the texts completely, what a damaged philosophy : P

Islam still is the fastest growing religion, and it will always be, so all you lovelies out there, find another hobby quick before your own folks turn to Islam and you start taking anxiety/ depression treatment loosing your precious sleep over it if you already don't have amnesia :)

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
reading from the dumb anti -islamic rant in all the previous pages, an intellectual command from a religious source would seem too intelligent for you ain't it?

As for those who have the time to expose their severe intellectual handicap by blatantly indulging in mindless inept intolerant bigotry against Islam, what more can be said than, go ahead bang your heads and go crazy , lol looks like people really need to rant against any religion to emerge as a notice-able intellectual among their peers, feel bad for them, they bash Islam as the worst religion, and yet they Stoop so low to criticize it without ever having gone through the texts completely, what a damaged philosophy : P

Islam still is the fastest growing religion, and it will always be, so all you lovelies out there, find another hobby quick before your own folks turn to Islam and you start taking anxiety/ depression treatment loosing your precious sleep over it if you already don't have amnesia :)

It was meant to be a joke not anti-islamic. Look, I have befriended and respect a great deal of Muslims here Bismillah, Ssainhu to name a few. I may not agree with everything but they surely know I am not anti-islamic. So while you want to insult me please consider my posts and whether all which I've said is anti islamic. If you cared to look, I made a thread in which a yemeni jew confirms that Allah is the God of Israel and dispels christian accusations concerning who Allah is. Now, would an anti-muslim do that?

McBell

Admiral Obvious

I cannot help but wonder how many people you have turned into Anti-Islam/Anti-Muslim using the same tactics as is quoted above..

Perhaps you should take a few deep breaths and stop accusing everyone who says something you dislike and or not understand as being anti-Islam.

I understand that other Muslims will not tell you you are being an arse regardless of how big an arse you make of yourself.
However, not everyone who tells you you are being an arse is anti-Islam.

earlwooters

The dog question was answered, but with two answers. One from the Qur'an and one from the Ahadith. Very different. They are so different that both cannot be right.

Marble

Rolling Marble
The dog question was answered, but with two answers. One from the Qur'an and one from the Ahadith. Very different. They are so different that both cannot be right.
Why is that so important to you, are you Muslim, do you want to have a dog?

Sahar

What is so different? The Qur'an doesn't state any ruling on keeping dogs in the house. The Hadith does speak about this detail. There are many detailed rulings that are not mentioned in the Qur'an but in the Hadith. There is no contradiction.

Prohibiting Muslims from keeping dogs in their houses doesn't mean Islam hate dogs and cats. In fact, in one of a Hadith, it speaks about a prostitute woman who found a dog panting out of thirst. She went down into a well, filled her shoes with water and offered it to the dog to quench its thirsty. And she entered Heaven because of this merciful act to an animal.
And in another one; A woman was deemed to enter the Fire because of a cat. She imprisoned her and neither fed her nor set her free to eat the rodents of the earth.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/98894-mercy-kindness-animals.html

Last edited:

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally find the prohibition of dogs in the home ruling confusing. :confused:

I don't want pets personally; my six daughters are my pets. :p

My confusion comes in that quite frankly, dogs are now, for the most part, protected from disease and are no longer wild (unless trained to be so). In fact, few animals (if any) are as protective of its owner than dogs; many will put their lives on the line to save the family...I don't know if this Hadith was the Prophet's warning against rabid dogs or ALL dogs.