• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$100,000 for the head of an old cartoonist?

LumpHammer

I see a bounty of $100,000 has now been issue for the death of Lars Vilks...
bbc news said:
The purported head of al-Qaeda in Iraq has offered a reward for the murder of a Swedish cartoonist over his drawing depicting the Prophet Muhammad. The $100,000 (£49,310) reward would be raised by 50% if Lars Vilks was "slaughtered like a lamb" said the audio message aired on the internet. The speaker, said to be Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, threatened a new offensive during the holy month of Ramadan. Last month's cartoon showed Prophet Muhammad's head on a dog's body. Several Muslim countries protested.
Nice.

Smoke

Done here.
Honestly, I don't even know what to say to that. My pacifism and my opposition to the death penalty are in conflict with a growing conviction that sometimes a mad dog just has to be put down. At the very least, I think a strong reaction from the Riksdag is called for.

LumpHammer

Well the guy has been moved from his home now...(As it is too unsafe) I am so angry. I am seriously thinking of getting T-shirts printed.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Yes, Rushdie had to put with the same sort of stuff.

Frankly the notion of a "new offense" during Ramadan, of all times, is more of an insult to Islam than a rude cartoon could ever be.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Perhaps it would be helpful to provide some quotes from influential muslims who have opposed this.
That was disgusting.

(Parenthetically - it has been condemned by the Swedish Muslim Council - a fact that was trivially easy to obtain.)

jonny

That was disgusting.

(Parenthetically - it has been condemned by the Swedish Muslim Council - a fact that was trivially easy to obtain.)

Quit assuming. It makes you look like an *** (not that you need much help with that). I figured something was out there, but I don't know what Muslims view as influential. Posting something here would end that line of question.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You mean there are Muslims in Sweden too? OMG... what is this world coming to. Next they will be infiltrating North America.
*runs and hides under his bed -- quaking terribly* *Starts chanting, "The Muslims are coming, the Muslims are coming..."

In regards to the OP, I have seen horrid images created by Middle Eastern "cartoonists" that make anything created in the so-called "western" press look like kids stuff. Oddly, no one here gets up in arms over the silly things. Why should Muslims? Sorry, I don't get it. :shrug: