• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

7.5 Million Americans Lost Their Religion in the Past Two Years

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion is dying
I think I understand your meaning, but I think 'Religion is dying' is a confusing way to say it. Maybe you mean religion is changing. Its the people who can't recognize and accept that who are in for a surprise. Its always changing.
because it fails to meet the fundamental needs of humanity
I don't know if this is really something that could cause religion to die. It sounds like you feel there are some bad religions and expect that a bad religion will die by itself, but I don't see any evidence that will always happen. Often patience is the only thing that can change bad to good, and we just have to find ways to endure and improve. Bottom line you have not justified the opinion that religion will fail just because it fails to meet needs.
Lack of religion doesn't indicate a lack of spirituality just rejection of traditional dogma - dogmas which are teaching divisiveness, and relying predominately on history to legitimize themselves cannot live in a modern world.
Spirituality is not religion? Those who are inflexible, who think that a stiff boat is better than a flexible one, I think you are singling them out as religious. Basically you seem to be pointing at conservatives. That is not what religious means. It means making a continuous effort to produce a good outcome. A daily exercise regime is religious for example, but you can change what exercises you use. Lets say that there is a Baptist who is going out once a week to take care of homeless folks. That is a religious activity, and his religion is not dying out unless.... What if the homeless shelter he has been visiting closes, but he keeps going there even though there are no homeless people to serve? He just likes to go there now and refuses to stop, because he thinks the shelter shouldn't have moved. Then his religion dies because he has been too conservative to adapt to where the homeless are. If he simply finds the new homeless shelter and goes there, then his religion continues.
What good will rewards in the afterlife be then? It is my opinion that if your spiritual path cannot weather that notion it will not stand the test of time and cannot be ultimately true -- might as well get off the bandwagon wasting your time right now.
I can't disagree with that!

AmyintheBibleBelt

Even the smallest number has influence. Just because you haven't heard of them, does not mean there aren't more out there. Again, there is no proper way to poll for Pagans because the questions asked by these surveys are pointed and skewed towards an abrahamic line of thought.
No, the smallest minorities have no influence. I assure you the GOP and Democratic party are not contemplating how they can win the pagan vote in 16.

AmyintheBibleBelt

So minority viewpoints don't matter at all? Cool, I'll tell the koreans, and Jews.
Minority viewpoints don't matter until they can swing a vote. Do you really think politicians are concerned with what any American thinks if they don't make up a considerable amount of the vote? What have candidates done or said to influence the Korean vote? The Jewish vote doesn't matter so much but our relationship with Israel does. Because they blow **** up and the populous much prefers us on the side of Israel than Muslims.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Minority viewpoints don't matter until they can swing a vote. Do you really think politicians are concerned with what any American thinks if they don't make up a considerable amount of the vote? What have candidates done or said to influence the Korean vote? The Jewish vote doesn't matter so much but our relationship with Israel does. Because they blow **** up and the populous much prefers us on the side of Israel than Muslims.

So you are telling me that only popular and majority opinion actually matters in the grand scheme of things? Tell that to the first Christians.

AmyintheBibleBelt

The
So you are telling me that only popular and majority opinion actually matters in the grand scheme of things? Tell that to the first Christians.
The majority of Americans think they live in a democracy and do not know how to distinguish that from a republic. Americans are inspired to think what their media tells them to. If you don't know that the popular opinion in America makes magazine covers, influences neighbors, casts votes...then you don't know much. Americans cast their votes on party allegiance and popularity. Few know Truman was a democrat and dropped the A bomb on Japan. Few know Lincoln was the first republican president. Ugh, I am an American and I can say the general pubic has lost the ability to have critical, independent thought. And when we are overtaken for our weaknesses and vulnerability, we will have deserved it.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
The

The majority of Americans think they live in a democracy and do not know how to distinguish that from a republic. Americans are inspired to think what their media tells them to. If you don't know that the popular opinion in America makes magazine covers, influences neighbors, casts votes...then you don't know much. Americans cast their votes on party allegiance and popularity. Few know Truman was a democrat and dropped the A bomb on Japan. Few know Lincoln was the first republican president. Ugh, I am an American and I can say the general pubic has lost the ability to have critical, independent thought. And when we are overtaken for our weaknesses and vulnerability, we will have deserved it.

While I don't disagree with your political diatribe, where did that come from? Yes, we live in a republic, and our entire gov't is biased and corrupt, cool. It's why I don't buy into the 24hr news networks (or most news outside of some local), and why I don't follow party lines. I vote for who I agree with, regardless of their party affiliation, if I don't agree with any candidates, I don't vote, pure and simple.

AmyintheBibleBelt

While I don't disagree with your political diatribe, where did that come from? Yes, we live in a republic, and our entire gov't is biased and corrupt, cool. It's why I don't buy into the 24hr news networks (or most news outside of some local), and why I don't follow party lines. I vote for who I agree with, regardless of their party affiliation, if I don't agree with any candidates, I don't vote, pure and simple.
You don't vote? Well, you will move mountains youngster. What is the most important political issue to you presently?

AmyintheBibleBelt

What is the difference between a republic and a democracy?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I am realistic. You are younger than 25. You probably don't even live in the US. If you think I am self righteous for discounting pagans as a significant influence on politics in the US, you are dumb.

You may be "realistic" that's fine. You are still wrong. Again, why does my age seem to be of significance to you? I am definitely an American, do you need to see my 2 passports? Or does my military ID work?