• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm often forced to use the photos of others and am rather reluctant and concerned about it every time. But all these have Creative Commons licensing as near as I could determine.

That last photo was from iNaturlist by Cheryl Harleston López Espino. Since it wasn't marked with the photographer, I thought I should find out and give credit.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Just wanted to let you know, I joined iNaturalist. I think the data that is available on that site will be invaluable to my studies.

I went to try the sign up again and found out I already am. I even posted a picture of the Xmas beetle I posted here. I don't recall making the account, I thought I stopped. Old timers disease.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I went to try the sign up again and found out I already am. I even posted a picture of the Xmas beetle I posted here. I don't recall making the account, I thought I stopped. Old timers disease.
Unfortunately, I know it all to well. Or I think I do. Maybe I don't really remember.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
IMG_0346.JPG

This is a Mydas fly, likely Mydas tibialis. It is on a plant called rattlesnake master (Eryngium yuccifolium). One of my favorite plants. It seems to attract a number of insects including the various Hymenoptera in the picture.

These flies aren't commonly found, but I have seen this and one other species in the last 10 or 15 years. My observation of the other species, Mydas clavatus, was of three individuals resting on a concrete curb of a loading dock of a building on about 200 acres of mixed woods and on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River bottom.

Many of the species are very large and the family includes the species that is the largest fly, Gauromydas heros. A giant that reaches 60 mm.

When I was a kid, I had these little nature books my folks gave me. In it was a picture of Mydas clavatus. I really wanted to find one and I spent time looking for it. As time passed, other things pushed that out of my mind and I sort of gave up on the idea. Then one day without even trying, there they were, three in a row. I knew immediately what they were. There was no chance to catch one and I didn't have a camera on me. This was before smart phones. Having missed that one, I couldn't believe my luck years later to chance upon another species and with a camera on hand too.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I may have posted this picture before, but I have a history of fascination with this family of flies.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Here is another shot of it. I wish I had something to give it scale that appreciates its size.
IMG_0347.JPG

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Cool. We can follow each other at least. I've done nothing since joining.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Are worms bugs? I am going to say close enough. An interesting article on a worm festival:

Not really, but still interesting and important. I've actually worked with worms as part of my graduate research, so close enough for us.

That's really awesome! I've never heard of these things.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not really, but still interesting and important. I've actually worked with worms as part of my graduate research, so close enough for us.

That's really awesome! I've never heard of these things.
I think that I have heard of them, but it was always from a dubious source so I discounted it. It turns out that they are very real. They are also very temperature sensitive. The spend almost all of their lives at most a degree or so away from 32 F. For metric people they like 0 C. 1 C is too warm and -1 C is too cold.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That's a spectacular fly. It's very wasp like.
That wasp-like appearance is recognized as mimicry and with the usual benefits to survival. They are pretty cool and finding some has been my interest for a long time.

I found reference to what may be the largest Austalian fly species. Blepharotes coriarius is a big robber fly that is up to 48 mm long and rather showy with bright orange abdominal terga. Robber flies are another non-beetle species I've an interest in. There are a number of bee mimics in that group. Even predators need to look dangerous to the things that prey on them.

Blepharotes coriarius - Wikipedia

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Found this one this morning sheltering from the rain under a corn leaf. Pretty sure it's a Tiger Longicorn Aridaeus thoracicus. Aridaeus thoracicus - Wikipedia

View attachment 87937
Pretty and awesome. Notice the eyes. Many longhorn species have "dented" morphology to their eyes. I mention it as something I find unique and interesting as well as helpful with ID. Not all of them have this trait. Of course, the longhorn beetles have a lot of characters that are obvious and aid in identification.

I have a pretty good collection of local cerambycids.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Long legged fly that I think I may have posted before. Maybe Austrociapus vonnexus Long legged fly | Australian Insects Website

View attachment 88018

You've got the right family (Dolichopodidae; long-legged flies). It looks like some of the species here in the US. I couldn't tell you much beyond family. I wasn't sure what was wrong with the right wing, but I think your photo catches it edge on.

Some species of flies with wing patterns like that present a spider-like appearance in the pattern when they are folded flat on the back. Not sure if long-legged flies are one of those, but I believe there are fruit flies in the family Tephritidae that have that trait. Look up the apple maggot if you are interested.

Like you, I'm sort of fascinated with these traits like mimicry, eye-spots and other patterns that provide protection, deterrence, or time to get away.