• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I reckon that's it because it started screaming when I accidentally ran over it with the shopping trolley
Oops. They are pretty vocal. We are getting ready for a mass emergence of periodical cicadas this year. Billions of them all buzzing and singing all over the place. In some places, there will be broods of the 13 and 17 years cicada broods emerging together.

I've seen three five in my lifetime.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Oops. They are pretty vocal. We are getting ready for a mass emergence of periodical cicadas this year. Billions of them all buzzing and singing all over the place. In some places, there will be broods of the 13 and 17 years cicada broods emerging together.

I've seen three in my lifetime.

3 species or 3 cicadas?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Leaf Curler Spider, he keeps hiding when I try to get a photo. Phonognatha graeffei - Wikipedia

DSCN8673.JPG
DSCN8675.JPG

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
This one is tiny, maybe 1mm at the most so it's a dud photo because I can't hold the camera still enough. Maybe an adult aphid?

View attachment 87437
I can't be absolutely certain, but I think it might be a thrips. That's another order, Thysanoptera. They are very tiny, thin, with fringed wings and mostly phytophagus with some predatory species. Apparently fungivorous according to what I'm reading. Don't know if I knew that and forgot or if it is new info. Functionally new anyway. And some of the buggers will bite. It's like a sharp, brief, pinprick.

Thrips - Wikipedia

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Paper Wasps, I think we have native and introduced ones but I'm not sure which these are.

View attachment 87438
I saved response for the best till last.

That is an awesome shot! They look so formidable in this picture. And they are, but you capture that pretty dang well. I like how the inside of the cells are viewable and the egg is visible too. Wasps are ever fascinating to me.

We have 8 species in Missouri and all native species if I recall correctly.

My old advisor once told me that they will tap you just before they sting. I'm not sure if that is a warning behavior or a side effect of targeting, but it wasn't long after that advice that I experienced it for myself. Something tapped me lightly on the side of the face and then fire.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Paper Wasps, I think we have native and introduced ones but I'm not sure which these are.

View attachment 87438
When you asked if I had seen the other pictures, as I was scrolling up to look, I immediately stopped on this one and was just blown away. It really is a good picture John.

I just picked up a book by Eric Eaton called Wasps; The Astonishing Diversity of a Misunderstood Insect. It is a popular review of wasps with brief summaries of the various groups, important biological features and lots of photos. I haven't read through it yet, but this picture would have fit perfectly in it.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
When you asked if I had seen the other pictures, as I was scrolling up to look, I immediately stopped on this one and was just blown away. It really is a good picture John.

I just picked up a book by Eric Eaton called Wasps; The Astonishing Diversity of a Misunderstood Insect. It is a popular review of wasps with brief summaries of the various groups, important biological features and lots of photos. I haven't read through it yet, but this picture would have fit perfectly in it.

It's a testament to the camera and editing software. I took the photo close to dusk and up under the eaves of the house so there wasn't much light.

The photography experts poo poo my camera as a gimmick or toy, there's so many bad youtube reviews of it but I think it does a top job and when it comes to photography I'm a learner and just use the auto settings most times.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It's a testament to the camera and editing software. I took the photo close to dusk and up under the eaves of the house so there wasn't much light.

The photography experts poo poo my camera as a gimmick or toy, there's so many bad youtube reviews of it but I think it does a top job and when it comes to photography I'm a learner and just use the auto settings most times.

Looks like it does the job and the proof is in the portrait.

That would be a good time for a photo shoot with paper wasps. Less likely to get irritated I would think and still enough light for a picture.