• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Possibly Xylotrupes gideon beckeri, but the literature doesn't seem to indicate it as far south as your area. It does seen to match the written description. I'll keep looking. I'm interested.

I'm towards the southern end of their range I think.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm towards the southern end of their range I think.

That's the thing about some range information, it can be incomplete or too general to make a solid determination.

That does add some strength to my identification at least.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I found this one on my corn this morning, I think it's a long-nosed plant hopper... Dictyophradie?

DSCN8633-topaz-enhance-3.6x-exposure.JPG

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I found this one on my corn this morning, I think it's a long-nosed plant hopper... Dictyophradie?

View attachment 86746
I believe you are correct. Definitely in that family. I'm less confident on the species, but I hardly know the group here and definitely know nothing of your fauna.

Really cool. I don't find members of this family very often. It seems our fauna is largely in the Southwest with a small number of species more widespread across the country. I just found a paper on a revision of the genus Phylloscelis by a couple of guys I know. Yeah, I know a few people that have done things. Some of them are about science and actually important.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I believe you are correct. Definitely in that family. I'm less confident on the species, but I hardly know the group here and definitely know nothing of your fauna.

Really cool. I don't find members of this family very often. It seems our fauna is largely in the Southwest with a small number of species more widespread across the country. I just found a paper on a revision of the genus Phylloscelis by a couple of guys I know. Yeah, I know a few people that have done things. Some of them are about science and actually important.

I tried getting a front on shot of it but when I moved it would turn so it was always sideways to me and the camera. It reminded me of the behaviour of some shy species of birds, they turn away and look over their shoulder like this Wonga Pigeon. I have heaps of photos of them but they're all the same pose.

DSC_4403 -1.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I tried getting a front on shot of it but when I moved it would turn so it was always sideways to me and the camera. It reminded me of the behaviour of some shy species of birds, they turn away and look over their shoulder like this Wonga Pigeon. I have heaps of photos of them but they're all the same pose.

View attachment 86755
What if there is more than one person?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

View attachment 86755
Do they play chess?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Looks like I missed one when you posted this. I'm interested in eye spots and the like myself. A really fascinating adaptation to predation.

I've been working on a new idea about eye stripes. I think a lot has to do with the angle they're viewed from. If I get motivated I might start a thread on it, maybe someone else might have some ideas.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I've been working on a new idea about eye stripes. I think a lot has to do with the angle they're viewed from. If I get motivated I might start a thread on it, maybe someone else might have some ideas.
I recall that you had a few pictures of a bird (don't remember which one), but the eye stripe looked more eye-like depending on the angle the picture was taken at. Am I correct in that memory?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm trying to make a habit of checking here regularly, since I seem to miss posts for a few days at times.

I need to post some stuff of my own here too.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I may have to fiddle with some of my pictures. They are too large for the upload server to process.

Maybe I can describe them through interpretive dance.