• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I was recently sad to learn that Australia doesn't have an toucans. They are pretty cool birds. And they make breakfast cereal too.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I was recently sad to learn that Australia doesn't have an toucans. They are pretty cool birds. And they make breakfast cereal too.

No Toucans but we have Channel-billed Cuckoos that kind of look the same and one of the most annoying birds in the world.

Imagine that at 3am for 6 months of the year. They at least have the decency to migrate to Papua New Guinea in the winter.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
First bug of the year. No idea what it is. About 50mm long.

Edit: Antlion (sp. Myrmeleon)

DSCN8620.JPG
DSCN8623.JPG
DSCN8625.JPG

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No Toucans but we have Channel-billed Cuckoos that kind of look the same and one of the most annoying birds in the world.

Imagine that at 3am for 6 months of the year. They at least have the decency to migrate to Papua New Guinea in the winter.
Good grief! You sure that is a bird and not @Stonetree messing with you?

If that was going on outside my window at night, I think I might reconsider my position on extirpation on a case by case basis.

Probably not though. I love to listen to the barred owls and nighthawks carrying on at night. It just my pro-sleep bias talking.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
We have a species here in Missouri that is very attractive. I have one in my collection that I got from someone else. It has no data, but was collected in the state.

Some years ago, I was black lighting on my deck. I was walking behind the sheet I use with the light and one fluttered past. I was about to catch it as my gaze fixed on the incandescent, outside light that I had just turned on and I was temporarily blinded by the direct look as the pleasing antlion flew off into the dark.

FZKRCZ7RCZIRTZMRTZQRYZPRRHMZVLGR0H7ROZLZELHZDZ7R3Z0RNLZZTLERLH0Z6LSZBLMZTLKZ.jpg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
And another old one, a house centipede, it could move at about 1,000 mph and I couldn't tell which end was which so I didn't know if it was coming or going.

1233159_10201525866284742_1914370144_o.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Found a pic of a wolf spider with babies that I took about 15 years ago.

View attachment 86614
They're probably grown by now.

That is a really good picture.

I was bitten by a wolf spider once. Reached to pick up a garden hose out of the grass and didn't see the spider. It was a strange sensation, like a mild electric shock. While the chelicera were strong enough to penetrate, my conclusion was that the venom wasn't strong enough to do much but elicit that unusual and brief sensation.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
And another old one, a house centipede, it could move at about 1,000 mph and I couldn't tell which end was which so I didn't know if it was coming or going.

View attachment 86636
We have a common species that looks much like this with the same common name. I wonder if it is another species or if it is the same one with a cosmopolitan range.

I think the head end is to the left in the picture. In real life, i can never feel so certain.