• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess you found it, so I don't need to post this. Glochidion ferdinandi - Wikipedia

They're ok, birds and bugs love them but you can't kill the damn things, I chopped this one down to a stump about a year ago and now if you didn't know you couldn't tell.
Thanks for the link anyway. I appreciate it. So it is a native species that is also rather tenacious to deal with I gather. Though I'm pro any tree or shrub that drags in the bugs I realize this is a limit scope.

I'm thinking that jewelbug you found may be Scutiphora pedicellata. Have a look and let me know what you think.

https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/DENISIA_0019_0275-0398.pdf

Scutiphora pedicellata - Wikipedia

The Wikepedia article isn't very extensive, but it does have a couple of pictures and it is a species found in Australia.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I would recommend it. I have several.

Especially considering the variety of really cool insects you have available.

I wish I was down there with you collecting away.

I had one of these as a kid, I'm a little surprised they still make them.

1700969484470.jpeg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Thanks for the link anyway. I appreciate it. So it is a native species that is also rather tenacious to deal with I gather. Though I'm pro any tree or shrub that drags in the bugs I realize this is a limit scope.

I'm thinking that jewelbug you found may be Scutiphora pedicellata. Have a look and let me know what you think.

The Wikepedia article isn't very extensive, but it does have a couple of pictures and it is a species found in Australia.

I'm guessing that's it. Looks very similar.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I had one of these as a kid, I'm a little surprised they still make them.

View attachment 85069
I'm not familiar with that. How does it work.

There are many ways to catch insects.

I'm going to have to figure out a way to get you some relevant information on some of that.

As it happens, a swimming pool is a pretty good way.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I find myself wondering more and more about relocation with Australia as the destination. It is an old dream and not likely to be one that goes anywhere in both my mind and in reality, but still I wonder.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I find myself wondering more and more about relocation with Australia as the destination. It is an old dream and not likely to be one that goes anywhere in both my mind and in reality, but still I wonder.

Unfortunately you're probably too old to be considered now. They'd view you as a burden on the health system. I need to win lotto and bribe someone.

Dumb question: There's a thunder storm on the way and I just walked the dog... in late spring and summer when there's storms coming like this we get thousands of flying ants and termites. I assume the rain makes conditions better for the chance of establishing a new colony. Here's the dumb question... has there been any research done on how they know it's going to rain? My uneducated guess would be a rapid change in air pressure or rapid increase in humidity. I googled it but can't find much.

Edit: I just went out to try and photograph some but the wind has gotten up so the few I saw were getting blown away, only managed to get one that had already dropped its wings. As I was doing that I thought of a problem with my uneducated guesses... they would need an instant supply of flyers on hand to accomplish that and I'm guessing (again) that it would require some sort of forward planning to hatch out that type of ant or termite.

DSCN8583.JPG

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with that. How does it work.

It wasn't very successful, you took the top or bottom off and put it over the bug which left the problem of trying to keep it in the container while getting the top or bottom back on. Flying bugs were ok if they cooperated and flew but crawling bugs needed to be scooped which wasn't very practical and lead to deaths. I found the best way was to capture by hand and drop them in so a jar would have done the same job. But it did come with a fake plastic tree attached to the bottom part.

1700986403815.jpeg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It wasn't very successful, you took the top or bottom off and put it over the bug which left the problem of trying to keep it in the container while getting the top or bottom back on. Flying bugs were ok if they cooperated and flew but crawling bugs needed to be scooped which wasn't very practical and lead to deaths. I found the best way was to capture by hand and drop them in so a jar would have done the same job. But it did come with a fake plastic tree attached to the bottom part.

View attachment 85071
Deaths? Really? What sorts of insects?

I looked it up from your previous picture hoping to get insight on how it was used. But couldn't find out anything helpful. Thanks for letting me know.

I can see how a flying insect might be easier to catch, given they fly up.

I like the plastic tree. It lends itself tot he entire ensemble. Good for outdoor use and to brighten the indoors. I should write copy.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

The Aussie Entomologists came to the same conclusion.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Deaths? Really? What sorts of insects?

I looked it up from your previous picture hoping to get insight on how it was used. But couldn't find out anything helpful. Thanks for letting me know.

I can see how a flying insect might be easier to catch, given they fly up.

I like the plastic tree. It lends itself tot he entire ensemble. Good for outdoor use and to brighten the indoors. I should write copy.

It was a long time ago but I would guess beetles, ants and other crawling bugs

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately you're probably too old to be considered now. They'd view you as a burden on the health system. I need to win lotto and bribe someone.
I figured something like that. I should have taken the shot when I was younger and more profitable. There's always the lottery.
Dumb question: There's a thunder storm on the way and I just walked the dog... in late spring and summer when there's storms coming like this we get thousands of flying ants and termites. I assume the rain makes conditions better for the chance of establishing a new colony. Here's the dumb question... has there been any research done on how they know it's going to rain? My uneducated guess would be a rapid change in air pressure or rapid increase in humidity. I googled it but can't find much.
You should stop calling them dumb questions. They aren't. In fact, your 'dumb questions" lead to a lot of new information even for me. I may be an entomologist, but that only includes knowledge of a fraction of the insect world and their varied lives. Ants and termites, unfortunately, are not groups I know a great deal about beyond the general. But the leg up I have may be enough to point us in a direction.

These flights are called nuptial flights and the winged drones and virgin queens are referred to as alates. Knowing those terms seems to be the leg up. I found these searching using those terms and hopefully you will find it useful.

Flying ant day: when winged ants take their nuptial flight

Nuptial Flights and Mating - AntWiki

The latter, I think will be more useful in answering your questions regarding timing. Search the text using this quoted passage as a guide.

"Queens of at least two species, Pogonomyrmex californicus and Mesor (= Veromessor) pergandei, also display circadian rhythms, and these are more or less synchronous with those of the males (McCluskey, 1967; McCluskey and Carter, 1969)."

At this point in the text it proceeds to discuss the species specificity of timing and confirms you observation about rain and provides more detail.

Both are pretty good sources, but the first is a general public version and the latter is more in depth.

Edit: I just went out to try and photograph some but the wind has gotten up so the few I saw were getting blown away, only managed to get one that had already dropped its wings. As I was doing that I thought of a problem with my uneducated guesses... they would need an instant supply of flyers on hand to accomplish that and I'm guessing (again) that it would require some sort of forward planning to hatch out that type of ant or termite.

View attachment 85070
I would probably have a tough time in my initial attempts at ID without the wings. I would hope that I could figure it out pretty quickly under closer examination given that the stumps of the wings are usually present.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I figured something like that. I should have taken the shot when I was younger and more profitable. There's always the lottery.

You should stop calling them dumb questions. They aren't. In fact, your 'dumb questions" lead to a lot of new information even for me. I may be an entomologist, but that only includes knowledge of a fraction of the insect world and their varied lives. Ants and termites, unfortunately, are not groups I know a great deal about beyond the general. But the leg up I have may be enough to point us in a direction.

These flights are called nuptial flights and the winged drones and virgin queens are referred to as alates. Knowing those terms seems to be the leg up. I found these searching using those terms and hopefully you will find it useful.

Flying ant day: when winged ants take their nuptial flight

Nuptial Flights and Mating - AntWiki

The latter, I think will be more useful in answering your questions regarding timing. Search the text using this quoted passage as a guide.

"Queens of at least two species, Pogonomyrmex californicus and Mesor (= Veromessor) pergandei, also display circadian rhythms, and these are more or less synchronous with those of the males (McCluskey, 1967; McCluskey and Carter, 1969)."

At this point in the text it proceeds to discuss the species specificity of timing and confirms you observation about rain and provides more detail.

Both are pretty good sources, but the first is a general public version and the latter is more in depth.

I would probably have a tough time in my initial attempts at ID without the wings. I would hope that I could figure it out pretty quickly under closer examination given that the stumps of the wings are usually present.

I just finished reading the articles, very interesting, thanks.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member