• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Spotted this on my climbing beans as I was watering them. It's dusk so not much light and the photos aren't great. I would say grasshopper but it looks wrong. It seems to have some head adornment.

Edit. Apparently it's a Longhorn Grasshopper, a type of Katydid.

Another edit. Forgot to say it was about 50mm long.

DSCN8520.JPG
DSCN8524.JPG

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Spotted this on my climbing beans as I was watering them. It's dusk so not much light and the photos aren't great. I would say grasshopper but it looks wrong. It seems to have some head adornment.

Edit. Apparently it's a Longhorn Grasshopper, a type of Katydid.

Another edit. Forgot to say it was about 50mm long.

View attachment 84611View attachment 84612
We don't have anything so elaborate here, but apparently Australia and South America have some really jazzy grasshoppers.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I was about to edit that one but I can't. I've been told it's a species of raspy cricket
It sort of reminded me of a camel cricket. But a quick look indicates that the camel crickets are now considered a separate family. Still the resemblance is there.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Finally a decent Scarab! Found this bloke in the backyard, commonly called Xmas Beetles. One of the biggest I've seen for many years, he was 40mm long.

View attachment 84822View attachment 84823View attachment 84824
I've been doing some looking around and it seems like this is Anoplognathus pallidicollus, but it could be Anoplognathus porosus. Not sure without a specimen in hand and a good key. But I'm leaning to A. pallidicollus. Have you come up with an identification for the species?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I've been doing some looking around and it seems like this is Anoplognathus pallidicollus, but it could be Anoplognathus porosus. Not sure without a specimen in hand and a good key. But I'm leaning to A. pallidicollus. Have you come up with an identification for the species?

Only anoplognathus sp.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
There's a key by Carne from 57, but I don't have a copy and can't find it where I can access it.

Still, I think it an awesome find, even if they are common found where you are.

In the 60s and 70s there were thousands of them every year, they were a danger to motorcyclists, it felt like getting shot. They started disappearing in the 80s, that's the first big one I've seen for about 30 years. Not sure why but I guess land clearing is the main problem and maybe pesticides.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
In the 60s and 70s there were thousands of them every year, they were a danger to motorcyclists, it felt like getting shot. They started disappearing in the 80s, that's the first big one I've seen for about 30 years. Not sure why but I guess land clearing is the main problem and maybe pesticides.
Scarab larvae often develop in the soil and temperature and moisture levels can reduce the success of survival to adult. It is likely a number of factors including those you mention.

The sad fact is that insect populations seem to be decreasing in many places around the globe. Some of it is light pollution at night. We like a well lighted city.