• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A few pics I took this morning. Some are woefully out of focus. I tried fixing them but without much luck.

A flying termite with wings still attached.

DSCN8586-SAI-Focus.JPG

I think it's a scarab and I think I've posted a dead one before.

DSCN8593.JPG

A cool looking spider. I thinking it's a hunting type one.

DSCN8598.JPG

Pretty sure this is a young stink bug.

DSCN8601-SAI-Focus.JPG

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
A few pics I took this morning. Some are woefully out of focus. I tried fixing them but without much luck.

A flying termite with wings still attached.

View attachment 85606

I think it's a scarab and I think I've posted a dead one before.

View attachment 85607

A cool looking spider. I thinking it's a hunting type one.

View attachment 85608

Pretty sure this is a young stink bug.

View attachment 85609
Another Scutiphora on the cheese tree!

I'm just guessing really, but female terminte alate maybe.

Definitely another scarab. I'm going with something in the subfamily Melolonthinae. We call similar looking species May or June beetles here with the timing of adult emergence often during those months.

I agree, it is a cool spider. Look at how large those chelicerae (jaws essentially) are. You can sort of see the fangs.

Nice finds.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Pool tiles, not sure what they're made of but mostly concrete I guess. I put it on they're because it kept trying to bury itself in the grass.
It makes a good background. I just wondered if it were in some natural setting. At that scale, it looks like it might be.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I found an awesome set of books on Australian Beetles. In fact that is the title. Alas, it is a pretty expensive and I can't justify it at the moment. But maybe. I have the two volume Australian Insects that covers all the groups including beetles. That will have to suffice for now.

Edit: Correction, three volume set. It looks like the entire set will probably cost about 500 to 600.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I found an awesome set of books on Australian Beetles. In fact that is the title. Alas, it is a pretty expensive and I can't justify it at the moment. But maybe. I have the two volume Australian Insects that covers all the groups including beetles. That will have to suffice for now.

Edit: Correction, three volume set. It looks like the entire set will probably cost about 500 to 600.

Best price I can find is $132 AUD for volume 1. The price on google play for the e-book is $195! So $400 for both volumes... sheez

Just noticed your edit... So $600 it is.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Why on earth would the actual books be $60 cheaper than the electronic version!!!

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Found what I thought was a scale bug but when I looked at the pics it looks like a small mud wasp nest. It's about 3mm x 2mm. I photographed a bug near it that I thought was an ant but it looks like a wasp in the photo, it was abot 3 or 4 mm long. I'm wondering now if the two are connected.

DSCN8606.JPG
DSCN8608.JPG

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Found what I thought was a scale bug but when I looked at the pics it looks like a small mud wasp nest. It's about 3mm x 2mm. I photographed a bug near it that I thought was an ant but it looks like a wasp in the photo, it was abot 3 or 4 mm long. I'm wondering now if the two are connected.

View attachment 85685View attachment 85686
They may not be connected, but the first picture looks like it might be an egg cluster with emergence holes on the top of each of those little nodes (individual eggs). I can't be sure.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
We have about 30 species of stag beetles in the United States; family Lucanidae. IAustralia has close to 100 species in this family.

These beetles are related to Scarabaeidae and are in the superfamily of Scarabaeoidea. More than 1500 species are described world wide.

I'm envious of the fact that not only are more species found in Australia, the diversity if very high and they are some of the most beautiful species in the world.

Another reason I would love to visit.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
We have about 30 species of stag beetles in the United States; family Lucanidae. IAustralia has close to 100 species in this family.

These beetles are related to Scarabaeidae and are in the superfamily of Scarabaeoidea. More than 1500 species are described world wide.

I'm envious of the fact that not only are more species found in Australia, the diversity if very high and they are some of the most beautiful species in the world.

Another reason I would love to visit.

I had never heard of stag beetles but now I have some idea of what they are I realise I saw one just a few days ago. Hopefully I can find another and get some pictures.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I had never heard of stag beetles but now I have some idea of what they are I realise I saw one just a few days ago. Hopefully I can find another and get some pictures.
I hope you do. That would be awesome.