• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bug for Dan

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I recall that you had a few pictures of a bird (don't remember which one), but the eye stripe looked more eye-like depending on the angle the picture was taken at. Am I correct in that memory?

I've been trying to find front on pictures but I have precious few. I think because birds keep one eye on you and the other looking for escape routes. Or maybe I delete them because they're not really pleasing to the human eye. I was looking at the face markings of a Silvereye, they look completely different. And I'm guessing that's the view a predator or potential mate would see. They look evil front on.

DSC_3704 -1-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpg

DSC_3477 -1.jpg

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm trying to make a habit of checking here regularly, since I seem to miss posts for a few days at times.

I need to post some stuff of my own here too.

I thought I posted an old pic of a Yellow Admiral Butterfly but I must have forgot to press send or I posted it in the wrong thread because I don't see it. This sort of thing is happening more frequently... it's concerning.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been trying to find front on pictures but I have precious few. I think because birds keep one eye on you and the other looking for escape routes. Or maybe I delete them because they're not really pleasing to the human eye. I was looking at the face markings of a Silvereye, they look completely different. And I'm guessing that's the view a predator or potential mate would see. They look evil front on.

View attachment 87342

View attachment 87341
It does look like it is angry or up to no good.

Reminds me a little of a White-eyed vireo except the white is part of the eye in that species and not around it.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I thought I posted an old pic of a Yellow Admiral Butterfly but I must have forgot to press send or I posted it in the wrong thread because I don't see it. This sort of thing is happening more frequently... it's concerning.
I do that too. Did it today. Sent an email. Got distracted. About an hour later, noticed I had a draft message. Turns out I didn't send it.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Not much of a photo but I found this while looking through old pics. Some kind of bug on a flannel flower. I don't even have a guess as to what it could be.

DSCN7667.JPG
DSCN7667a.JPG

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Might be a predatory bug. A minute pirate bug maybe. It could also be some sort of chinch bug which phytophagous.

hmmm... I wasn't that interested in it but I've never heard of pirate or chinch bugs so now I have some reading to do. And while searching "pirate bug Australia" I came across an article on how to unblock piratebay.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
hmmm... I wasn't that interested in it but I've never heard of pirate or chinch bugs so now I have some reading to do. And while searching "pirate bug Australia" I came across an article on how to unblock piratebay.
I didn't know there was a Pirate Bay. Now I have some reading to do.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Pirate bugs tend to be very small, but it is difficult to get a fix on scale. So I was going by body shape as best I could. The head may be too broad to be a pirate bug, but I'm not ruling it out entirely.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
This was on the footpath out the front of the supermarket this morning. I thought a cicada would be easy to ID but google images gave me about 1,000 options.

cicada-topaz-denoise-enhance-4x.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member