• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Christian becomes a nonbeliever

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No .. they are NOT facts .. if they were, then believers in God would not have a leg to stand on.
We are not that stupid, you know. :)

Rejecting facts doesn't make them non-facts.

Young earth creationists also reject the fact that the earth is 4.5 billion years old.
Flat earthers reject the fact the earth is spherical.

Clearly humans have no problems rejecting facts.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Now, this may seem off-topic, but bear with me and it will provide you with an answer to your question and a useful analogy for understanding the logic behind that answer.

Here is a jar of jelly beans.

2015-10-12-18.42.jpg

Now, can you tell me whether or not you believe* the number of jelly beans in the jar is even?

(*to be clear, to "believe" something in this context simply means "to hold that a given proposition as true")
I'm familiar with the analogy and I'll go ahead and give you a :WINNER: for that even before @muhammad_isa is going to do his best to derail and / or dodge it.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It does not tell me a thing except that plenty are not convinced by my evidence. So what? What do you think that means?
You call yourself a critical thinker yet you continually commit the same fallacy over and over again.

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so."​
This type of argument is known by several names,[1] including appeal to the masses, appeal to belief, appeal to the majority, appeal to democracy, appeal to popularity, argument by consensus, consensus fallacy, authority of the many, bandwagon fallacy, Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia
If your bliefs are based on good evidence, and theists follow evidence, then why aren't other believers being convinced by what you offer? You accuse atheists of being blind, so what about other believers that reject Baha'i? Are they blind too? Shouldn't they be the easiest to covert?
Says who? One who does not even know a basic fallacy. :oops:
You show us you aren't a critical thinker, mostly due to your bias. One element of being a critical thinker is the ability to self-monitor motives and confirmation bias, and you are not willing to examine it. You even use the application of fallacies wrong, usually when getting emotional and defensive over petty issues.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You are a time-waster..
You did not make the claim that there are no gods, but you do not believe the claim that there are.

Absolute twaddle .. one might as well be posting goo-goo gurgle-gurgle ..
.. nothing to learn here .. move on.
No, the statement "I do not believe there are gods" and the statement "I do not claim that there are no gods" are perfectly consistent.

I refer you back to the jelly bean analogy above. If you follow the logic, you will see that this makes perfect sense.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Nonsense ..

???

So you think earth being spherical, as opposed to flat, is not a fact?

Owkay then.

you cannot know for sure whether you were aware before or after your present awareness.

But I can know that I wasn't aware when I did not exist.
I can also know that I won't be aware when I no longer exist.

derp.

It is no more than an assumption.

Not more then it is an "assumption" that a non-existing ball isn't spherical.
The word doesn't even apply.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You are a time-waster..
You did not make the claim that there are no gods, but you do not believe the claim that there are.

Answering @ImmortalFlame's post about the jar of jellybeans will make you see the blatant error you commit here.

I invite you to do so.

Absolute twaddle .. one might as well be posting goo-goo gurgle-gurgle ..
.. nothing to learn here .. move on.

I'm sorry that you can't understand the difference between

"I don't believe X is true"
and
"I believe X is false" or "I believe not-X is true".

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
But I can know that I wasn't aware when I did not exist.
I can also know that I won't be aware when I no longer exist.
Mere word play..
It is only an assumption that you cannot be aware before or after this present physical existence.

You are entitled to make such assumptions .. as I am entitled to mine.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Mere word play..

No.

If X doesn't exist, then X won't be aware (or anything else, for that matter... that's kind of what non-existence means.... lol).
Basic logic.

It is only an assumption that you cannot be aware before or after this present physical existence.

No more that it is "only an assumption" that there is no undetectable dragon following you around everywhere.
It's you who is playing with assumptions here.... ie, that there is some other existence for humans other then the physical one.

That's a pretty extra-ordinary assumption. On the level of undetectable dragons living in my non-physical garage.

You are the only one who's making such wild-a$$ assumptions.....
So it seems you are just projecting your faults.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Mere word play..

In debate bad assumptions will be pointed out, and theists make numerous bad assumptions when they decide some sort of god exists. Believers are a product of their social experience and not an example of being an indepentent and critical thinker.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Right .. so you don't believe .. but you say "you didn't make the claim that there are no gods".
..implying that there might be gods..

..but you would rather live your life assuming that there is not.
Kinda like living our adult lives assuming Santa Claus isn't real?

Do we really ASSUME fantastic and non-evidenced characters DON'T exist? No, we hear about these fantastic characters and we notice their lack of utility. How many Hindu gods do you assume don't exist, as if they might actully exist unbeknownst to you? Do you walk on eggshells in life in case it's the Hindu tradition that's correct and the Abrahamics all wrong?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In your version of "critical thinking", religion is just a whim, and meaningless.
There is only one form of critical thinking - one set of rules of inference, any violation of which results in unsound conclusions, which are ideas tat shouldn't be believed. By those rules, a god belief is unjustified, since their application to the available evidence for gods never leads to "therefore God." That is a correct statement. If it weren't, you could successfully rebut it, and you cannot.
You paint all believers as non-intelligent dreamers.
Those are your words. I say they hold unjustified beliefs.
so you don't believe .. but you say "you didn't make the claim that there are no gods"...implying that there might be gods....but you would rather live your life assuming that there is not.
Can we just assume that you will never understand what agnostic atheism is if you still don't? The agnostic atheist does not assume that fictitious characters don't exist, but does live as if they are nonexistent. The agnostic atheist is usually also an agnostic aleprechaunist and lives his life as if leprechauns don't exist, never chasing rainbows in search of pots of gold, for example. Being a critical thinker, he understands that he has no argument that concludes, "therefore, leprechauns don't exist."

Nor does he need one to live as if he knew that that was the case. But this is definitely NOT assuming that leprechauns don't exist. The critical thinker understands what it takes to make that claim, and recognizes that nobody can justify it if he does. Simply never seeing a leprechaun is not enough. It's EXACTLY the same with agnostic atheists and gods.
do you remember where you were before that? You assume that you did not exist in any shape or form, and that after your death, you will again not exist in any shape or form. These are assumptions, and not facts.
This is you making the same error again - failing to distinguish between unbelief (agnosticism, not believing) and disbelief (gnosticism, believing not). There is no need to assume that there is no afterlife to ignore the idea while alive. Also, what interest ought one have in a conscious experience in the future not connected through memory to a conscious experience in the past? There is no difference to me between having existed before birth but with no memory of that and not having existed at all. Likewise, I would be uninterested in a conscious afterlife not connected through memory to my memories to date. That would be somebody else, not me. Think about that statement.
you cannot know for sure whether you were aware before or after your present awareness.
It wouldn't it matter to this "me" either way.
No .. they are NOT facts .. if they were, then believers in God would not have a leg to stand on.
They don't, if "leg to stand on" refers to justified belief. But those are the standards of the critical thinker, who, unlike the faith-based thinker, is unwilling to believe based in gut feeling.
We are not that stupid
Your word. I have never called you stupid for holding an unjustified god belief. Stupid people are below average in intelligence. You are probably at least average.
You did not make the claim that there are no gods, but you do not believe the claim that there are. Absolute twaddle .. one might as well be posting goo-goo gurgle-gurgle .. .. nothing to learn here .. move on.
The concept of agnostic atheism eludes you. But I still won't call you stupid for being unable to conceive of the idea or for hearing only "goo-goo gurgle-gurgle" when critical thinkers speak because there are so many more just like that that I have to call the lot of you average intelligence.
if you are claiming that nobody can believe in God and be a critical thinker, you actually have no leg to stand upon.
You don't know whether I claimed that or not? I've most recently answered that here.

He: Can a critical thinker not believe in G-d?
Me: Some do, but that belief was not arrived at critically.
What he really means is: "I disagree with you."
What I mean is that your conclusions are unsound. The entire critical thinking community rejects such ideas.
Below are the seven reasons why more people have not recognized Baha’u’llah yet.
None of them have anything to do with lack of evidence for Baha'u'llah. All of them are related to human behavior.

1. Many people have never heard of Baha’u’llah, so they do not know there is something to look for. It is the responsibility of the Baha’is to get the message out, so if that is not happening, the Baha’is are to blame. However, once the message has been delivered the Baha’is are not to blame if people reject the message.

2. But even after people know about Baha’u’llah, most people are not even willing to look the evidence in order to determine if He was a Messenger of God or not.

3. Even if they are willing to look at the evidence, there is a lot of prejudice before even getting out the door to look at the evidence.

4. 84% of people in the world already have a religion and they are happy with their religion so they have no interest in a “new religion” or a new Messenger of God.

5. The rest of the world’s population is agnostics or atheists or believers who are prejudiced against all religion.

6. Agnostics or atheists and atheists and believers who have no religion either do not believe that God communicates via Messengers or they find fault with the Messenger, Baha’u’llah.

7. Baha’u’llah brought new teachings and laws that are very different from the older religions so many people are suspicious of those teachings and/or don’t like the laws because some laws require them to give things up that they like doing.
You left out the most important one. Baha'u'llah's claim of being a messenger of a deity doesn't convince many. You write as if it is assumed that if people only saw the message and carefully considered it, that they would be convinced. You've posted uncounted thousands of words of that message. After looking at several of them, I stopped reading them, and I'm sure that I'm not alone. There's nothing there but vague, flowery language calling for piety.
I am a critical thinker
No, you are not. You're a serious student of your religion, but you've never learned critical thinking and thus cannot distinguish a critical thinker from someone only claiming to be one.
I believe that God is good, since Baha'u'llah wrote that God is all-good.
A critical thinker would never write that.

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
Maybe you need to answer that, but I'm an atheist.
Perhaps it would benefit you to reappraise the framework the discussion is being held in. If you cannot help but conclude that every discussion concerning God is about proving Gods existence and thereby base all your arguments upon that then you should refrain from debating every argument here with that as a basis with which to begin.
This discussion was framed around a presupposition of an existent God with certain qualities. Not a proof of Gods existence mind you but an apologetic discussion along the lines of if/then propositions. If God is so powerful and good then why....or if Adam and Eve were perfect then why....
If God exists then what might the purpose of its creation be? etc.
These questions are generally in the line of critiquing and criticizing the Christian faith. The rebuttals are generally along the lines of Christian apologetics specifically concerning how these seemingly contradicting ideas may be explained as logically coherent possibilities and that is how I am framing the discussion.
I have given one possibility for the purpose of this creation in that frame of reference.
The universe has no apparent purpose, nor need it have one.
This seems to me to be a statement that is no better than simply saying the universe has a purpose if God exists. There is no reason to suppose that a creation must have the ready appearance of its creator to itself, that is to its conscience self - humankind for instance. That purpose may be discovered without providing a complete description of its designer if that designer so chooses to implement its possible discovery into its design. Christianity tells us this is the case-implied in scripture.
So...your opinion, okay. But I'm more interested in the meat you clothe these bones with. What makes you think the universe has no purpose for instance? After all design seems to be "implied" throughout, though this may merely be an appearance and not an actuality.
Nor would we need to know what that was if it had one
This seems to be a vapid statement. Why wouldn't it behoove us to know if the universe had a purpose, especially if knowing that purpose might give benefit some how? This isn't the same as claiming we cannot know such things for sure since no proof has been presented to date that we can't. Or has there been?
So, ironically we cannot know if we cannot know until we know.
Maybe the purpose of the universe is to make stars. Why should we care? It's not our purpose.
Why? Because its in our DNA to seek answers. Funnily enough in claiming "it's not our purpose" your suggesting that you've thought about it, even as an atheist. That indicates that it is important enough to you to draw your interest. Doesn't that bring us back to seeking purpose for the universe? Purpose draws us to action, that's why we seek it.
Anything without purpose is arid, sterile and stirs nothing within the soul. In essence, we seek purpose in the universe because we are inexorably made to be drawn towards that state. I think, normally, the human mind rebels at meaninglessness.
Why should we care? I would have thought a person as intelligent as yourself would never ask such a thing.
No, skeptics use human standards to explain that the god you describe is not a good god.
The point is Skeptics and many believers alike mistakenly apply human standards to God. What a human considers good is defined through expediency and what is deemed pragmatic but always born by ignorance. God is good because it is the only concept which allows for perfect justice in reality. Gods essence may necessitate the possibility of evil in creation - evil being defined as that which apposes Gods purpose for creation.
If you want to call it good, but I deem it evil, then my choices are to reject your claims or paralyze my conscience and begin accepting that I can't tell good from bad and have to read it from a book.
If reality hasn't shown you that that is exactly what some people need then you need to open your eyes. We have recorded "laws" for a reason. That is to initiate justice when those laws are broken. Justice cannot be initiated in accordance with unrecorded laws. One mans evil is another mans good but the law ideally clarifies the most just action a person should take. Scripture warns against such relative ideations.
Isaiah 5:20
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
Not everyone recognizes what is good nor what is evil. Look at Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong, etc. etc. Do you think they thought they were doing evil or good? Yet they all thought is would be good to eliminate cancer by eliminating those they deemed deficient. Their version of making the world more just.
It has been mistakenly perpetuated that Gods qualities cannot allow for evil in reality. A good God cannot allow suffering without contradiction in his essence. However even God can only exist within the possibilities his essence allows.
God is good because he sustains justice in the inevitableness of evil. God is omnipotent because he is the only being by which that perfect justice can exist.
In other words with or without God the allowance for "evil" and "good" in the same reality may be an inevitability. But only with God does perfect justice become possible.
People see what would be gratuitous suffering if this god existed
Presuming gratuitousness and actually being gratuitous are two quite different things. Especially when it comes to the complexities of understanding reality with the limited tools accessible to us.
either it doesn't exist or isn't really a friend, and so reject the claims of those who say it exists and is good.
That rejection is based in ignorance perpetuated by well meaning believers and disbelievers who reject any and all answers based upon what they expect of such a God in relation to what they think they know about reality.
You translate this into some character flaw
Who's character flaw? And how do you mean translate.
this is just the atheophobia of the religious, who have often been taught that atheists are morally defective,
Atheophobia - vocabulary word of the day. Sadly your right. That just goes to show that religious people are normal human beings just like atheists when it comes to being subject to judging others.
Christianity provides an attempt at remedying this in humanity for those whose character requires being remedied. What remedy does Atheism provide for those suffering from theophobia? Seems many atheists are taught that believers are logically defective without understanding what that entails.
and so understand a simple rejection of a bad argument in terms like yours.
Terms like mine? And what terms are those? Theological terms? Seems given the subject those terms are aptly applied.
As I've said, the argument is bad because of bad presentation of a complex subject. The premise may be correct though. I've ran into many terrible arguments in support of good premises.
So which, if any, of those 3 statements do you fall under I wonder? You seem to be angry at the thought of God and "evil" existing in the same reality. Perhaps we can explore the implications together and see were it leads?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
No you aren't.
Can she, or any other Baha'i, really say they took an unbiased look at the evidence? That they examined the claims from both sides of the argument? And then were satisfied that there was no question about it, that Baha'u'llah was the promised one from God for this day and age? Those of us that question it didn't have to dig too deep to find problems. Problems that can't easily be answered or that can't be answered at all.

Yet, they believe? In spite of those problems, they still chose to believe. So, are we "blind" to those things that they see, or do they have "blinders" on, so they don't see those things that we see as being problematic and questionable?

I think born-again Christians have a much greater problem doing that, since they have to accept a young Earth, the creation story, and the flood. But I think Baha'is still do it. At some point they have chosen to believe and are then obligated to believe all of the Baha'i teachings without question. And as we can see, they totally give themselves over to supporting those beliefs. Much the same way those Christians try and support their beliefs. And, ironically, the Baha'is reject the beliefs of those Christians in much the same way we reject those Baha'i beliefs that lack support and adequate evidence.

Again, it's fine for them to believe it, but if they are going to promote as "The Truth", bring your best evidence and let's take a good, hard, unbiased look at it. Does it hold up? No, not perfectly. So, they chose to believe and some of us chose to reject it.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Outdated is definitely a word one could use, or one could use the word immoral as well
The Baha'i claim is that each manifestation brought new social laws from God that were needed at the time. I have a strong feeling that the religious leaders of the people and culture made up those laws. That they were from a God. But how do the religious leaders get people to obey those laws? I think a very good way would have been to say that those laws came from God... That he wrote them on stone... and said that his laws are forever, that those that obey will be blessed and those who disobey will perish.

And now for Baha'is laws... They are from an infallible God and must be obeyed. How do we know? Because in the Baha'i writings it says so. At least God doesn't require people to be stoned to death for breaking some of those laws. Except maybe for a murderer and an arson. He's okay with killing them. But for adulterers, God has eased up on the penalty, no more stoning, they just get fined.

But these laws are for Baha'is. So, does that mean that some Baha'is will be murderers and arson? And some will be adulterers? Yet, there is supposed to be peace and unity in the world? I don't know, but it's like all the past religions, it's just a bunch of promises that "someday", things will be better, and God will do away with all the pain and suffering. And promises of a better day do help. They get a lot of people believing and hoping and trying to make things better.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Well there are plenty on this forum that are not convinced with your evidence. What does that tell you?
They are all "blind"?
Amazing... It's still a Baha'i, a person in a religion that says to find the things people have in common, that says that religion without scientific evidence can become lost in superstitious beliefs, and she's arguing to people that are only asking for that kind of evidence... something real and objective. And asking, "If there is no objective evidence for God and other religious beliefs, why believe them.

They, the Baha'is, use the scientific card against born-again Christians with the Christian beliefs like creation and the resurrection and ascension of Jesus. But then they are "blind" to the fact that they are doing the same thing... believing things only because it is written into their scriptures, therefore, it must be true. Great evidence for a believer, but for anybody else?