• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A collection of gun/gun control/ gun culture links for your research pleasure

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It appears low.
Not when most available studies say defensive gun use appears in less than 1% of crimes in which a victim is present.

To say that one number is lower than another doesn't address using this in designing public policy.
So when you compared gun homicides to defensive use, what were you doing?

In my proposals for gun control, these statistics are no problem.
But I don't know what you propose, so the statistics you claim aren't part of a larger picture.
I'm not proposing methods of control, I'm refuting arguments against control.

I could accuse you of intentionally misleading with statistics.
But I don't.
I presume you're honest.
You ought to consider how you appear when accusing someone
of dishonesty, particularly when the accused knows otherwise.
Perhaps you know that you have The Truth, & no honest person
would disagree. This would be hubris.
You can't just duck away from the point by accusing me of being mean. You can just admit that your use of statistics was misleading, but you didn't intend it to be. I also note that you ignored the two studies I provided that concluded there was a very real link between gun availability and suicide.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not when most available studies say defensive gun use appears in less than 1% of crimes in which a victim is present.
It's impossible to address "most available studies" to see if they're cromulent.
So when you compared gun homicides to defensive use, what were you doing?
Defensive use of guns exceeding wrongful killing is evidence of guns having net benefit.
I'm not proposing methods of control, I'm refuting arguments against control.
I say my approach is better....
- I made specific achievable gun control proposals.
- Debunk bad arguments involving unsourced & wrongly used statistics.
- Allow for there being merit on the other side.
You can't just duck away from the point by accusing me of being mean.
It's sometimes useful to inform posters when their hubris & anger lead them to bad behavior.
You'd be more effective if you stuck to supporting your claims, & avoided personal attacks.
Ask yourself this....
"Am I someone with whom the other side wants to converse?"
You can just admit that your use of statistics was misleading, but you didn't intend it to be.
<eyes rolling now>
I also note that you ignored the two studies I provided that concluded there was a very real link between gun availability and suicide.
I've addressed it.
You just missed it.

You regularly do this....become upset, hostile & sanctimonious.
You've also entirely ignored my proposals, & offer nothing positive.
This isn't discussionworthy.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Defensive use of guns exceeding wrongful killing is evidence of guns having net benefit.
How is that any different to saying illegal use vastly exceeding lawful homicides is evidence of guns being a huge detriment?

I say my approach is better....
- I made specific achievable gun control proposals.
- Debunk bad arguments involving unsourced & wrongly used statistics.
- Allow for there being merit on the other side.
But to do so you misrepresented the statistics to paint guns in a more favorable light by comparing defensive use to homicide rather than defensive use to criminal use, suicide, homicide and injury, which is a more balanced comparison.

I've addressed it.
You just missed it.
That's not true. Post #80 contains no reference to the studies, nor does it even quote the studies when I posted them.

You regularly do this....become upset, hostile & sanctimonious.
You've also entirely ignored my proposals, & offer nothing positive.
This isn't discussionworthy.
And you regularly do this, accuse the other side of being hostile when they present an opposing view and facts you can't deal with. My argument isn't with your proposals, but with the manner in which you've presented facts, and I am merely attempting to make some clarifications and corrections. I've not been hostile, personal, or insulting. I said that what you did was a deliberate misrepresentation, and if you feel what you did was not deliberate, you need only really say so and try to account for the error rather than pretending I'm being some kind of bully. I'm sorry that this upsets you, but the facts - taken as a whole - simply do not gel with how you've interpreted them, and the fact that you continue to plug the "defensive use vs intentional homicide" statistics despite me repeatedly explaining to you how and why this misrepresents the issues caused by guns in America, and to repeatedly ignore the studies conducted that directly contradict your earlier statement that guns aren't a major factor in suicide rates, doesn't seem to indicate that you're interested in honest debate on this subject.

We all have room for improvement, Rev - I'm rarely to first to admit that in myself, I'll confess, but I do try to be as honest as I can and admit fault where I make it. I've seen this in you too, and I'm willing to bet that you're an intelligent and honest person. I'd much rather debate with civility (and, if possible, an air of lightheartedness), but it's difficult to do so when I'm being accused of being sanctimonious or of "not debating the right way". I'm sorry if I ever come off this way - it's largely just because I can tend to be a bit blunt and to the point, and too many debates nowadays tend to meander and veer away from subjects in order to obfuscate the issue. I'll discontinue this conversation if you genuinely feel it's fruitless. If you'd like, maybe I'll stick to only responding to your posts in less serious threads in future.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First link was very informative, 2nd -- not so much.
crime victims who use guns in self-defense have consistently lower injury rates than victims who use other strategies to protect themselves (other strategies include stalling, calling the police or using weapons such as knives or baseball bats).
I'm not clear what's meant by using guns for self defense. I've read that the number of gun owners who actually manage to access and brandish their guns during a criminal assault, even when they have the gun on their person, is fairly small. Does this refer only to those? This seems like a pretty narrow subset.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First link was very informative, 2nd -- not so much.
I'm not clear what's meant by using guns for self defense. I've read that the number of gun owners who actually manage to access and brandish their guns during a criminal assault, even when they have the gun on their person, is fairly small. Does this refer only to those? This seems like a pretty narrow subset.
"Brandish" means to improperly expose / wave around a gund.
Self defense usage isn't called that.
"Fairly small" is a judgement call.
Estimates by anti-gun types range as low as 65K/year (US Gov).
Gary Kleck's estimates are in the millions.
Each depends upon what constitutes using a gun in self defense.
But either figure is still far larger than guns used in assaults.

esmith

Veteran Member
"Brandish" means to improperly expose / wave around a gund.
Self defense usage isn't called that.
"Fairly small" is a judgement call.
Estimates by anti-gun types range as low as 65K/year (US Gov).
Gary Kleck's estimates are in the millions.
Each depends upon what constitutes using a gun in self defense.
But either figure is still far larger than guns used in assaults.
Wish you luck attempting to counter fiction and/or bias with facts when it comes to this subject.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wish you luck attempting to counter fiction and/or bias with facts when it comes to this subject.
If you want some real entertainment of misinformation
& presenting only the anti-gun side, listen to NPR.
Did you know that no teacher wants to be armed?
It's true! I heard it on NPR. Every single teacher
in the country opposes the right to carry in a school.
This is based upon.....uh....well.....they didn't say.

esmith

Veteran Member
If you want some real entertainment of misinformation
& presenting only the anti-gun side, listen to NPR.
Did you know that no teacher wants to be armed?
It's true! I heard it on NPR. Every single teacher
in the country opposes the right to carry in a school.
This is based upon.....uh....well.....they didn't say.
No thanks, just the nightly news is enough for me. And of course this forum.