• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A CONSERVATIVE solution to global warming (Part 1)

Audie

Veteran Member
I don’t know. They seem very silent when it comes to the issue of fossil fuel subsidies.

I hope they are ok.

Could be, I have not met a free market capitalist nor
yet one who argued for those subsidies.

But then, free market capitalism exists only in theory,
never in practice

American sponsorship of democracy and free market
capitalism around the world has not been a success,
and has caused tremendous harm.

One of those ironies lost on pretty much everyone.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Substanitally agree with what you wrote.

The great panic over Trump, what do you think
that is about?

I am pretty sure I know why he got elected.
Economic disparity is a big part of it.

Based on past observation, I think the big issue that's causing panic is/was his apparent opposition to free trade. Ever since NAFTA, both parties have nominated enthusiastic pro-free trade candidates each time - until Trump. The Democrats even trashed Nader's candidacy back in 2004 over basically the same reason. Traficant was another anti-free trade politician who was railroaded.

Over the past couple of decades, it became clear to me that any politician who was against free trade was going to be in for a rough time by the media and the other powers that be in this country. It's pretty clear to me that free trade is an extremely important issue to a lot of people, and Trump's opposition to free trade has been the primary source of panic and negative rhetoric.

From the point of view of the working classes - many people see free trade, outsourcing, and sending American jobs overseas to capitalize on cheap labor - all of that has been bad for the US economy and our diminished industrial base. This is probably why Trump's stance against free trade resonated with a lot of folks. I think that's what put him over the mark in key Rust Belt states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Audie

Veteran Member
Based on past observation, I think the big issue that's causing panic is/was his apparent opposition to free trade. Ever since NAFTA, both parties have nominated enthusiastic pro-free trade candidates each time - until Trump. The Democrats even trashed Nader's candidacy back in 2004 over basically the same reason. Traficant was another anti-free trade politician who was railroaded.

Over the past couple of decades, it became clear to me that any politician who was against free trade was going to be in for a rough time by the media and the other powers that be in this country. It's pretty clear to me that free trade is an extremely important issue to a lot of people, and Trump's opposition to free trade has been the primary source of panic and negative rhetoric.

From the point of view of the working classes - many people see free trade, outsourcing, and sending American jobs overseas to capitalize on cheap labor - all of that has been bad for the US economy and our diminished industrial base. This is probably why Trump's stance against free trade resonated with a lot of folks. I think that's what put him over the mark in key Rust Belt states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Well, free trade isnt everybody do whatever you like.

Trump's presentation is that the USA gets diddled by unfair
/ uneven policies and he is quite correct in that.

Against free trade, I would say not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, free trade isnt everybody do whatever you like.

Trump's presentation is that the USA gets diddled by unfair
/ uneven policies and he is quite correct in that.

Against free trade, I would say not.

Perhaps not against agreements he's made himself. He wasn't against trade in general, but he did criticize the trade policies as they have been practiced in the past. Based on that and past observations of what happened to other candidates who came out against free trade, I think that's the main real reason for most of the panic over Trump.

Audie

Veteran Member
Seems to me few have a clue about trade.

My family is heavily involved in trade out of HK and
I hardly have a clue.

The left sees trump as a goon, racist sexist 'phobe bring
back slavery anti intellevtual gauche etc and blah.

That is why the panic- my view.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems to me few have a clue about trade.

My family is heavily involved in trade out of HK and
I hardly have a clue.

The left sees trump as a goon, racist sexist 'phobe bring
back slavery anti intellevtual gauche etc and blah.

That is why the panic- my view.

Yeah, that's the media version, although some have been spreading it on too thick as to make it unbelievable.

I think the key indicator that a lot of people look at is the trade deficit itself. That's a pretty straightforward figure which doesn't require direct knowledge of all the details and intricacies.