• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A CONSERVATIVE solution to global warming (Part 1)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When the question comes up, as it does frequently, I always wonder why anyone cares? Projections are that climate change could well displace a BILLION people from their homes. Who cares if we're the only cause, we ought to do what we can to mitigate the problem, no?
You do realize that's actually going to have to happen before somebody , anybody does anything. It's just the way human nature is.

Wolf has been cried so many times already , worse if it comes from the experts, people just take things with a grain of salt.

You're just going to have to see one of these climate predictions come true then you might gain some traction and more importantly cooperation if people actually see and experience danger rather than hearsay and predictive modeling that comes to nil when the supposed time arrives.

If people want to be serious about it, the experts are just going to have to do better then what they've been putting out so far.

A lot of the attitudes are, " I'll believe it when I see it".

tytlyf

Not Religious
The video points out that removing the corporate welfare (subsidies) that Big Oil receives would speed up the process. Currently, Big Oil has their hand in our congress writing laws that keeps my tax dollars subsidizing their profits. Smart corporations are already on the train to renewable energy.
Big Oil is more concerned with keeping their welfare checks than doing the right thing. Take that welfare away, they'll sing a different tune.

Twilight Hue

The video points out that removing the corporate welfare (subsidies) that Big Oil receives would speed up the process. Currently, Big Oil has their hand in our congress writing laws that keeps my tax dollars subsidizing their profits. Smart corporations are already on the train to renewable energy.
Big Oil is more concerned with keeping their welfare checks than doing the right thing. Take that welfare away, they'll sing a different tune.
No we will.

They'll just jack up prices.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The inundation of most coastal cities is now inevitable, as is the increasing intensities of heat waves, fires, droughts, tornadoes and possible crop failures and rise of tropical diseases. On the good side, Denmark will treble its size as Greenland melts and we might have a war over Antarctica which all countries will covet in order to resettle their millions of homeless.

I would recommend people living in coastal areas to resettle and buy land in higher altitudes. People who have such land will be very rich as property prices skyrocket as 10% of all continental landmass disappears under the sea. Though floating cities may be a possibility. Let's see what happens.

I have already shifted to a city at a higher altitude in India.

Twilight Hue

So you agree, the government should not be subsidizing oil, or coal?
I didn't agree when Obama wanted to subsidize by bailing out the Auto industry.

Just because the shoe was on the other foot doesn't mean I'm going to relent.

Of course with corporations even I'll admit their investors come first , the customers come second.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Labor is a form of capital, so are ideas and thoughts. You haven't read a single book on economics have you?

It also requires knowing something about politics, too. Economics is merely an offshoot of political science.

Some blind followers of capitalism often imply that economics is an exact science with the precision of mathematics, but such has never been the case.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It also requires knowing something about politics, too. Economics is merely an offshoot of political science.

Some blind followers of capitalism often imply that economics is an exact science with the precision of mathematics, but such has never been the case.
No its not exact science at all. They provide rough guidance that's all.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
See if you can provide evidence for that
Tweak away; you will need to.

What millions-I suppose- of americans do is
whine and blame others for their own failures.

You trade them, the whiners and losers, one
for one with people from any of several third
world countries where there actually are not
any opportunities, and how they love it here,
and make the most of it.

The sorriest bum in the USA lives in material
splendor compared to half the world's population.

It may be a comforting illusion to think that your
or others' state is none of their fault, but that
of them stinkin' greedy plutocrats who grab all
the good stuff, and if you could just overthrow
them, all would be well.

You should visit Venezuela, see how it works.

I see it more as a matter of cause and effect, although there is some truth in what you say about the sorriest bum in the USA living materially better than half the world's population. But there are also intangible factors involved in countries when there is such a lopsided disparity.

One can look at previous times in US history when there was more of a balanced economy, when labor unions had greater bargaining power and workers were able to get better wages and working conditions. Our economic peak was probably from 1945-1970, at which point it began to stagnate and slowly decline. (A key indicator to look at would be real wages, which have been relatively stagnant since the early 1970s.)

It's not merely a question of workers' well-being or a better standard of living, but it's also a matter of economic stability and America's ability to remain in the position we have been in for all this time. We could always regress to the point where conditions could be comparable to that half of the world's population you're referring.

It's not that things are really that bad, materially speaking - not yet, anyway (although the stats and economic indicators are out there and available for perusal). But the overall sense of decline can be felt - a feeling that America's best days are behind her and that we're slowly descending into some kind of abyss.

I don't think that many people are looking for a handout. I'll admit that there are a lot of bums out there, but the fact is, most people truly want to work and do something productive with their lives. For the most part, I don't think their complaints are terribly unreasonable; just better wages, lower prices and an improved standard of living overall. I don't think they should be dismissed as "whiners" and "losers," but I would consider them more to be messengers of early warning that if we can't turn things around in this country soon, there will be consequences.

I don't think the system will necessarily be overthrown, although I think one can find historical examples of what can happen when the "upper crust" gets too far high and too far out there as to be completely out of touch with the masses. The story of Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie might be a good read.

In both Russia and China, their communist revolutions were the culmination of centuries of long-term abuse and periodic bloodbaths from tyrannical, authoritarian regimes bent on keeping all the wealth and power for themselves.

They didn't even care about the consequences to their nation and the internal weaknesses which led to being invaded and dominated by foreign powers. Essentially, their systems collapsed within themselves, which made any kind of "overthrow" as an inevitable anti-climax after decades of chaos and mismanagement by the wealthy and powerful in those countries.

The question we now face in America is this: Could our own ruling class be so myopic and short-sighted as to degenerate into the same mode of thinking which has doomed governments and so many societies in the past? Could they be that self-destructive? It may not be as far-fetched as it seems, considering the great panic there is over Trump. Some people think it's the end of the world - or at least the end of America as we know it. But if the wealthy and powerful want to keep what they have, they're going to need those thuggish, hard-nosed types to keep all the "whiners" and "losers" at bay. There's a lot of them out there - probably more than half the world's population when you really think about it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No its not exact science at all. They provide rough guidance that's all.

I see economics debates much in the same way as political debates. They often involve disagreements over philosophical positions and value systems for which there may not be any ultimately "right" or "wrong" answer. Some of them tend to be moral issues, not just systemic issues.

Audie

Veteran Member
The question we now face in America is this: Could our own ruling class be so myopic and short-sighted as to degenerate into the same mode of thinking which has doomed governments and so many societies in the past? Could they be that self-destructive? It may not be as far-fetched as it seems, considering the great panic there is over Trump. .

Substanitally agree with what you wrote.

The great panic over Trump, what do you think
that is about?

I am pretty sure I know why he got elected.
Economic disparity is a big part of it.