• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A debate on christianity

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
I mean say exactly what you want to debate. Something specific enough so that it can get started. "Christianity" is too broad. What about Christianity?
What about the bible the christians follow? They usually love to post bible verses to non christians.

VioletVortex

The main piece of evidence against Christianity that I have is the amount of contradictions in the bible. The Christians tend to explain these as "paradoxes", in an attempt to make the contradictions look somehow "scientifically explainable".

First of all, how can god be all knowing and still give humanity free will. No matter how all powerful he may be, there is no way that's possible.

Second, how can he be all powerful? If he were all powerful, he would have probably done a better job of enslaving mankind by now. And, it he were really all loving, and also all powerful, why would he gives humanity the freedom to sin and go to Hell anyway? Couldn't he just make everyone "holy" to begin with?

Even if I did believe in the Christian mythology, I would still side with Satan and go to Hell, it would probably be more interesting than heaven.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Christianity was mainly designed for empathy among humans per say. In my own opinion it is a religion that has its ins and outs. I cannot go further than this, but it's from what I know on a few of its basics.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
What about the bible the christians follow? They usually love to post bible verses to non christians.

Which Bible? More specifically, which translation of the Bible, as they all have to differ because of copyright laws, with the exception of the KJV since it is public domain.

Then I need to know if you are wanting to debate it in English, or would you prefer the original biblical languages of Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek...for greater accuracy, of course. We can forego Latin, as that was not until much later.

We could always start with the bad translation that came to be known as Lucifer and go from there.
Or Satan, and how it was taken way out of context from the original Hebrew.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
First of all, how can god be all knowing and still give humanity free will. No matter how all powerful he may be, there is no way that's possible.
Just because you know what's going to happen doesn't mean you're causing it to happen. So God would know what you're going to do, but he's not making you do it.
Second, how can he be all powerful? If he were all powerful, he would have probably done a better job of enslaving mankind by now.
All-power is a trait that may or may not be practiced in action. So God being all-powerful doesn't necessarily mean he is going to exercise that trait in its fullness, for whatever purpose.
And, it he were really all loving, and also all powerful, why would he gives humanity the freedom to sin and go to Hell anyway? Couldn't he just make everyone "holy" to begin with?
Because the understanding is that he wants his creations to freely choose to return love to him. He wouldn't want robots. In the Christian understanding, humanity's love of God must be a voluntary act in order for it to be truly considered love. It must be a reciprocal relationship.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
The main piece of evidence against Christianity that I have is the amount of contradictions in the bible. The Christians tend to explain these as "paradoxes", in an attempt to make the contradictions look somehow "scientifically explainable".
A lot of then do and if you mention about murder, rape, etc, and they will tell you that it is from the last testament and also say that they don't follow it anymore.
Christians seem to pick and choose what they like from their bible.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Christianity was mainly designed for empathy among humans per say. In my own opinion it is a religion that has its ins and outs. I cannot go further than this, but it's from what I know on a few of its basics.
In a way I think that it was just created to control people.