• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A debate on christianity

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Or maybe we can discuss both, by answering the question: "Which is more beneficial to the individual, Christianity or Satanism?"

Spockrates

Wonderer.
But before we begin, Priestess, I should say that I'm not into partisan religion, politics or anything like that. My goal is similar to that of the Father of Philosophy, who said:

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers of his own assertions. And the difference between him and me at the present moment is only this — that whereas he seeks to convince his hearers that what he says is true, I am rather seeking to convince myself!"
(Phaedo)

Like Socrates whom I admire, I'm likely to ask more questions than make assertions. Though I'll let you know what opinions I have. So if you're looking for a knockdown drag out fight with someone who cares only about changing your mind, I'm not your guy. But if you don't mind a thoughtful conversation with someone who wants to discover the truth, perhaps I might do.

Kelly of the Phoenix

The New Testament is pretty much as violent as the Old Testament. I notice that many Christians seem to see the New Testament as the nice one and the Old Testament as the harsh one. In reality, they are equally harsh in their philosophies towards gays, sexuality, and non-christians.

The New Testament is the one that is read more by Christians, and it's the most marketed one, so editors change it to look more loving and less violent.
God regretted killing nearly everyone after the OT Flood. You don't see God apologizing for killing nearly everyone after the NT Apocalypse.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'll let Priestess choose. But I don't mind others joining the dialog, if she doesn't. [emoji4]

There's no point in starting a debate if it isn't relevant, to the positions held.
So
/Are you a theistic Christian?
/Do you think that Jesus is ''different'' than G-d?
/What books of the bible, do you consider false/ if any?

Spockrates

Wonderer.
There's no point in starting a debate if it isn't relevant, to the positions held.

Hi, syncretic. Agreed.

So
/Are you a theistic Christian?
Please define what you believe a theistic Christian is, so I know whether I am what you are asking.

/Do you think that Jesus is ''different'' than G-d?

Please explain what you mean by different. Different persons? Different in essence or nature? Different in their respective roles in relationship to one another? Different in some other way?

/What books of the bible, do you consider false/ if any?

Are you asking what books of the Bible I believe are mostly misinformation, or what books of the Bible I believe have some misinformation, or are you asking something else?

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
In my opinion I wouldn't refer jesus as Lucifer. If jesus is refereed as Lucifer then jesus rebelled against his own father? I sound pretty confusing.

Well, Jesus is also a lucifer (bright morning star) in Latin, as the term is not a name, but a descriptive title that can apply to anyone.

I don't exactly follow the who Venus thing. I mostly just follow the path Lucifer teaches.

Venus is just mythology from the ancient Greeks. It is not meant to be followed.

Lucifer does not teach anything as Lucifer is not a person/being/entity. At most, Lucifer is a bad translation that traditionally has been taken out of context.

I was taught a bit differently from what you told me.

Many people are taught wrong, so no worries.

Edit: I also wanted to touch on something else from the first quote above...

Why do you think that Satan rebelled against God? Where in the Bible does it say that? I already know the answer but I am testing your knowledge.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Hi, syncretic. Agreed.

Please define what you believe a theistic Christian is, so I know whether I am what you are asking.

Believes in a actual Deity, G-d, Jesus, or some don't think that Jesus is a Deity. That aside, believes in an actual Deity, not a Deity concept merely in the philosofical sense, or some other idea. Traditional Xianity of course believing in an actual 'entity', a G-d, a creator, so forth.

Please explain what you mean by different. Different persons? Different in essence or nature? Different in their respective roles in relationship to one another? Different in some other way?
Different in essence, or different in form, thusly.

Are you asking what books of the Bible I believe are mostly misinformation, or what books of the Bible I believe have some misinformation, or are you asking something else?
Mostly or entirely misinformation, false in any manner

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
Hi, Sutekh. Please tell me in what way you are more an individual than before. [emoji4]
Before, I more or less had a different political view I was more to the extreme right, I am not implying so called hate groups. But I more or less followed my dad's footsteps as the herd. During the time I became involved with Satanism by reading books from the Church Of Satan. The more I perhaps read books by LaVey, the more my veiws changed. I more or less started to distance myself from the herd mentality. Satanism has mainly taught me individuality to that extent, for example "that it does not matter of what a person's ethnic background is, it's what merits the individual." In a way it benefited me. Satanism has mainly taught me to think for myself and to not conform with the herd.

Last edited:

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Believes in a actual Deity, G-d, Jesus, or some don't think that Jesus is a Deity. That aside, believes in an actual Deity, not a Deity concept merely in the philosofical sense, or some other idea. Traditional Xianity of course believing in an actual 'entity', a G-d, a creator, so forth.

Yes, I believe in an actual sentient being who is likely all-knowing, all-powerful and perfectly moral. Though I'm open to changing my mind, if the evidence is logical and compelling.

Different in essence, or different in form, thusly.

Different in essence, I don't believe so. Though, again, I'm keeping an open mind.

Mostly or entirely misinformation, false in any manner

Mostly information, entirely misinformation and false in any way are three different and contrary opinions, I'd say. Are you asking if I believe any of the above?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, I believe in an actual sentient being who is likely all-knowing, all-powerful and perfectly moral. Though I'm open to changing my mind, if the evidence is logical and compelling.

Different in essence, I don't believe so. Though, again, I'm keeping an open mind.

Mostly information, entirely misinformation and false in any way are three different and contrary opinions, I'd say. Are you asking if I believe any of the above?

Yes, and some explanation as to which books, type of falsity, would help

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Yes, and some explanation as to which books, type of falsity, would help

I'll give three types of such falsity, though the fault may be in the eyes of the beholder a rather than the minds of the authors:

(1) 1 Samuel 15:3

"Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

Personally, I cannot understand how this command demonstrates the morality of God.

(2) 1 Timothy 2:12

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet."

Rather than outright error, I believe this to be a kind of guess, and so open to the possibility of being incorrect.

In other places Paul is fond of saying, "God does not..." Here, he says, "I do not..." So it's logical to assume he is giving his own opinion, and thus, such a premise is not immune to giving people the wrong impression that this is some kind of divine edict. There are other places where Paul makes it even more clear he is giving his own opinion on some subject in which he is unsure what God's opinion is.

I am of the opinion that Paul is mistaken. I've learned a great deal from women who have taught me.

(3) Matthew 26:26

"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.'"

Rather than outright error, these words of Jesus are to me obviously ambiguous, and so open to misinterpretation. Did he mean this?

"...this [bread] is [like] my body...."

Or did he mean this?

"...this [bread] is [actually] my body...."

It is one source of contention between Catholics and some Protestants.

I haven't made up my mind what the intended meaning of Jesus' words are, and so I'm something of a Christian without a religion.

Last edited:

Spockrates

Wonderer.
Revelations. It's the last book of the bible. Think a religious movie as done by Michael "Special Effects Count as Plot" Bay.

Kelly: There is likely a good deal of both symbolism and ambiguity in Revelation. Is Jesus really a lamb? Or is he like one? Is the book describing events of the past, such as the persecution, torture and murder of Christians by Ancient Rome, or is it describing events yet to come? Are the suffering of people in the book caused by God or by the cruelty people have for one another?

I'd be interested in discussing a specific passage of the book, if you have one in mind (quoting chapter and verse isn't necessary, if you just want to describe it).