• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A person has come to you and says...

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
I have clarity, I have found inner peace, all makes sense now.

Aside from the feeling this girl or guy might be a creep, would you be inclined to inquire anything from them, or simply point them down the road to the closest clinic?

I'll be like

"Cool, how'd you do that?"

Alceste

Vagabond
I'd ask which style of tai chi they've been practicing. If it were Chen or Yang I would believe them. Taoist or White Crane and I would denounce them as a charlatan.

:D

Smoke

Done here.

Aside from the feeling this girl or guy might be a creep, would you be inclined to inquire anything from them, or simply point them down the road to the closest clinic?
I'd congratulate them. I wouldn't assume they were crazy, but I wouldn't assume that whatever gave them inner peace would have any meaning to me, either.

Smoke

Done here.
The first think I would wonder is which false religion has them fooled. Which demon has them swaying in the false comfort of an innner peace. Which humanistic teaching has them blinded to the truth about their condition?
Quite possibly the same as yours. You never know till you ask.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'd congratulate them. I wouldn't assume they were crazy, but I wouldn't assume that whatever gave them inner peace would have any meaning to me, either.
I personally wouldn't assume that they really have inner peace, either. People can lie or be mistaken.

Actually, if I was confronted with the person described in the OP, my first thought would probably be "what is this guy selling?"

texan1

I might say "Cool! What are you drinking? And can I have some of that?"

or maybe: "Sweet. At which yoga studio do you teach again?"

Misty

If a person has found something that works for them that is great. I don't think one size fits all where inner peace is concerned, Christianity works for some, but not for others, just like other religions. I am happier now I don't believe, that has given me more peace than when I believed in the Jesus concept.

Alceste

Vagabond
Because a real christian would be carrying these objects with them in plain sight at all times.

LOL - I totally got that wrong - I thought Mof meant he'd be casting about the room for something "holy" to defend himself against a demonic attack or perform an impromptu exorcism.

Wannabe Yogi

I would ask them about their experience. It always makes for an interesting conversation.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mike,

A person has come to you and says...

Well if the person is known can understand what his statement relates to and if not; shall feel it as what he has found will get spread around him automatically with or without his saying and respond accordingly.

Love & rgds

Love & rgds

Dezzie

The first think I would wonder is which false religion has them fooled. Which demon has them swaying in the false comfort of an innner peace. Which humanistic teaching has them blinded to the truth about their condition?

And it's funny to think how your belief may also be false. You may think a demon is giving them the concept of a different religion but who cares. What's it to you? Would you say this to their face? I sure hope not. What a way to ruin someone's happiness due to their discovery of peace... I don't think God wants that. But yet, who knows... maybe he does want you to say those things to other people. I know just about as much as anyone else on this site (or the world that is). :shrug:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I wouldn't assume they really do, either. But I wouldn't consider it my job to find out. :)
Me neither. I wouldn't feel any need to put him to the test or anything lie that; I just meant that I wouldn't put much stock in it unless I had good reason to do so. If it's some random stranger who I never see again, then in all likelihood I'd never have any reason to put stock in what he says.

it's_sam

Freak of Nature
Me neither. I wouldn't feel any need to put him to the test or anything lie that; I just meant that I wouldn't put much stock in it unless I had good reason to do so. If it's some random stranger who I never see again, then in all likelihood I'd never have any reason to put stock in what he says.
Even if you did listen to him it would be the words of a shifty stranger. It would be hard for the person to have too much weight unless you were just before that, asking for a sign to lead you to God.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Even if you did listen to him it would be the words of a shifty stranger.
Yup. And in the back of my head, I would always be thinking that he's got some reason for approaching me... and I'd know that there are many more possible reasons that him just being happy about finding enlightenment and wanting to share it with people.

It would be hard for the person to have too much weight unless you were just before that, asking for a sign to lead you to God.
Even then, I wouldn't give much weight to it. I'd think it would be much more likely that he overheard me and thought "aha! There's my next mark!"

Anyhow, I would hope that I'd have the presence of mind to realize that a person presenting me with religious ideas right after musing about God would have the same sort of significance as a person handing me a restaurant flyer right after musing about what to eat for lunch... i.e. the kind that's only in my own head.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

Probably point them down the road to a hookah bar.

A

angellous_evangellous

This happens to me all the time -- I hang out in the philosophy section of Barnes and Noble, and that's where all the loonies are.

For some reason, I attract these folks. I don't even put deodorant on when I know I'm going there, but that just makes it worse.

I just let them talk and then say that I need to get what I need before I forget why I'm there.