• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A person has come to you and says...

no-body

I'd probably just smile and nod. If they are truly enlightened they will know what to do next.

This might sound cynical but the world is full of compulsive people that think because they read about something new that they've found "it" but all they've really found is a new experience.

Just_me_Mike

I wouldn't believe him or her. I don't suspect anyone in history has obtained such a state of mind, at least not an ordinary human being.

I suspect it is like law or something, that we not obtain such an inner peace, cause we live in a world of dualities, and such a state denotes singularity, which seems pretty much impossible.

Duck

I have clarity, I have found inner peace, all makes sense now.

Aside from the feeling this girl or guy might be a creep, would you be inclined to inquire anything from them, or simply point them down the road to the closest clinic?

Depends on the situation and who the person is...

A related anecdote...I visited a Starbucks for my morning over-priced caffeine fix dressed casually (shorts/polo) some random individual approached and started asking about the tattoos on my leg. Not a problem, we chatted about my tats, whether they held any particular meaning etc. I got my drink and headed for the car, to go on various shopping exploits. The dude came running out of the store, waving frantically at me. From his actions, I expected anything from "can I have your number?" to "I just noticed your car is on fire" and was leaning toward the latter from his frenzied approach. So I rolled down the window, and he started in with "may I ask you a personal question?...{sure} Do you think you are a good person?...{yes, pretty good} Good enough to get into Heaven?" He was rather taken aback at my response "I am probably going to go to Hel." After some back and forth revealing my Heathenry and my belief that Hel (more properly Helheim) isn't the same as the Christian place of torment, he got back on his original track and essentially related the whole 'I have clarity, inner peace, the answer, etc. etc.' spiel. My reaction was essentially 'that's nice, have a good day. I really need to leave now.'

So, a rather harmless interaction with a religious prosletyzer. I am sure that he went back to his congregation proclaiming that he had spread the good news to some benighted devil worshipper or something.

If a personal acquaintance had done this, I would have been more willing to listen to his story, his reasons for feeling he had achieved inner peace etc, than I was for a complete stranger, who didn't bother to give his name before launching into a conversation about the status of my soul from a misplaced sense of superiority.

A

angellous_evangellous

I wouldn't believe him or her. I don't suspect anyone in history has obtained such a state of mind, at least not an ordinary human being.

I suspect it is like law or something, that we not obtain such an inner peace, cause we live in a world of dualities, and such a state denotes singularity, which seems pretty much impossible.

I think that some us have, and these masters teach is not which is impossible, but that which is possible for every healthy human to achieve.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This happens to me all the time -- I hang out in the philosophy section of Barnes and Noble, and that's where all the loonies are.

For some reason, I attract these folks. I don't even put deodorant on when I know I'm going there, but that just makes it worse.

I just let them talk and then say that I need to get what I need before I forget why I'm there.
Very deep. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

Very deep. :D

haha

Color me arrogant, but I just don't see how philosophizing is profitable with a guy whose eyeballs are about to shoot out of his head claims that he's Jesus, the Buddha, and an oracle that predicted the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have clarity, I have found inner peace, all makes sense now.

Aside from the feeling this girl or guy might be a creep, would you be inclined to inquire anything from them, or simply point them down the road to the closest clinic?

"Hey! So did I. Did you buy whole life or term insurance?

Duck

haha

Color me arrogant, but I just don't see how philosophizing is profitable with a guy whose eyeballs are about to shoot out of his head claims that he's Jesus, the Buddha, and an oracle that predicted the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.

Wow that is even more loony than what I related. Oddly specific too, I take it you met this Jesus-Buddha-Vesuvian Oracle one afternoon in the philosophy aisle at B&N?

Erebus

In all likeliness I'd either smile and nod, then walk away or say, "sorry, I'm not interested in Jesus," and walk away.