• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about death

WhiteSeal

Awesome
The things we do fear are not the result of rationality or reasoning because fear is not a rational or reasonable emotion.

I happen to be wired such that death is not something that causes me fear. I am wired such that other things do cause me fear.

However, it is still apparent to me that fear is irrational (I am just an irrational person like many others) and this realisation helps me to sustain my lack of fear towards things that I am not afraid of whilst lessening the fear towards things that I am.

I suppose the "because" in my post is a bit tenuous but this is the sense in which I meant it.

I agree, fear is irrational, hence things like fear of chickens, which don't even carry a very high risk of death.

I guess if atheists were more afraid of death they'd probably turn to religion. Atheism is pretty apathetic in nature; it wouldn't make much sense to be a death-fearing atheist. You'd just end up converting on the death bed and ruining the whole point.

+Xausted

(this is obviously aimed at non theists)..................

Do you fear Death ? (I am presuming that you believe that there is nothing left of you after death than the memories of those still living of you).

It seems to me that the pain of dying could be the only thing you would have to fear.

So, do you fear Death? If so, why?
I had no preconnceptions proir to me actually being in a situation were I believed i was going to die. It turns out I found the experience amazingly peaceful, there was nothing to fear, and therefore I have no problem with the concept of my own death.

However, as many of you will know, my mother is in the process at this moment in time. Only this morning I had a tearful conversation from her about how horrible it is to be dying and she is so scared of the pain that she is starting to feel and what she knows is coming. She is a Christian, as opposed to my atheisim, which I find odd. How can someone have a fear of reaching the ultimate goal of being with her Saviour? Her fear of death, although understadable, detracts from the living that she is doing.
This is me blabbering I know. What i am trying to say I think, is that those that do not have a religious belief structure maybe actually benefit. How can there be fear in nothingness.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible

Do you fear Death ? (I am presuming that you believe that there is nothing left of you after death than the memories of those still living of you).

It seems to me that the pain of dying could be the only thing you would have to fear.

So, do you fear Death? If so, why?

Not really. There's a slight fear of the unknown... but yes, the method of death would be the top concern for me. If I wake up and find God there with a stern look on His face, I'll likely say, "Am I going to Hell now? I thought I did alright on Earth... can't we talk about this reasonably?"

fear of death is healthy it keeps you alive

I look at death this way:
if i die and stop existing i can't complain
if i die and still exist i can complain but noone will care

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I wouldn't say I have a fear of death. It's more of a disappointment. At this point in my life, I'd like to think I have all the time in the world to learn new things, and just be a part of this world. It just saddens me a little to think that at some point I have to stop learning and living. It's kind of like being at a great concert and not wanting it to end.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I wouldn't say I have a fear of death. It's more of a disappointment. At this point in my life, I'd like to think I have all the time in the world to learn new things, and just be a part of this world. It just saddens me a little to think that at some point I have to stop learning and living. It's kind of like being at a great concert and not wanting it to end.
Yeah, but the difference is that after a concert you can feel sad/disappointed it is over. After death there won't be a you to feel that.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yeah, but the difference is that after a concert you can feel sad/disappointed it is over. After death there won't be a you to feel that.

True, but if I think about the concert ending, in the middle of the concert, I will be sad then. It's really like a death is not sad for the person who died, just the people who are still living.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
True, but if I think about the concert ending, in the middle of the concert, I will be sad then. It's really like a death is not sad for the person who died, just the people who are still living.
I suppose, but in death there are no wishes unfulfilled, so its not really something to dread any more than it is something to long for. Everyone has to die, so you might as well try and accept it as a good thing, the end of suffering.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I suppose, but in death there are no wishes unfulfilled, so its not really something to dread any more than it is something to long for. Everyone has to die, so you might as well try and accept it as a good thing, the end of suffering.

That's the thing, I accept it. I accept the fact that my parents will most likely die well before I do, too. That doesn't mean it can't sadden me. Sadness is good sometimes too.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I guess if atheists were more afraid of death they'd probably turn to religion. Atheism is pretty apathetic in nature; it wouldn't make much sense to be a death-fearing atheist. You'd just end up converting on the death bed and ruining the whole point.
I don't know --I'd heard religion relieves "fear of death", so wouldn't that mean the atheists have more of it, not less?

atheists don't fear the unknown more than people that think they know the unknown,
if atheists were afraid of the unknown they would be worshiping something
if theists wern't afraid of the unknown they would have no reason to ever take precautions

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't know --I'd heard religion relieves "fear of death", so wouldn't that mean the atheists have more of it, not less?

This is, I guess, a question which I thought I had understood, but maybe I haven't....going by some of the replies.

To me, it is totally illogigal that "the atheist" would have any emotions whatsoever as regards death, because if death means - as I think they see it - a sudden "being non-existent", apart from the pain involved in dying, I cannot see what they can fear.

There have been a few who have touched on the possibility, having died, of "waking up, and finding themselves in front of God" that, to me, indicates the character of an agnostic rather than atheist.

Does the true atheist have 100% conviction that there is nothing after the moment of dying ?, because, there again, anything below 100% would indicate doubt.......

As far as "Religion relieves "fear of death""; i am not sure that that is how , I , as a theist see it. I know that God will look in my heart when I die, and will judge me for my sins; do I have anything to worry about? - sure I do, I am a sinner, and a recidivist to boot. O.K, I know that the flesh is weak, but I am pretty sure I can claim to have broken the majority - if not all - of the 10 commandments.

I know that I will need to be prepared for that big guy to "tut" at me, at the very least - but will I face any form of punishment for any of the worst sins? - I might have to spend time in solitary confinement, to think about what I have done; I just don't know.

The only thing of which I am pretty confident is that ultimately, yes, I shall be forgiven, and I shall be re-united with those whom I love; it's just that there may be some "sticky" moments to get through first.....:cover:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Once we understand that with death nothing disappears. End is the begining of something new. Fear no longer remains.
Whatever fear is there is of the unconcious reflex of the mind that shows for a split second. As soon as conciousness is brought around the fear is not found.
Am always ready for death, to provide the opportunity to carry with this concious jouney beyond.
Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
As an atheist advaitist hindu, I do not even acknowledge any death. The whole of me would remain, all atoms, they would form millions of new associations in living and non-living objects. From millions I have been formed, to millions I will go. I (the energy/material that makes me) am here since the big-bang, I would always be here in some form or the other. No atom is dead, not even in the stone. That is Brahman.

At the moment of death, I think that there is no pain. It is a physical phenomena and brain shuts out the pain centers before death for want of Oxygen. I will check when the time comes (sorry that I would not be able to report back to REF members). :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To me, it is totally illogigal that "the atheist" would have any emotions whatsoever as regards death, because if death means - as I think they see it - a sudden "being non-existent", apart from the pain involved in dying, I cannot see what they can fear.
Loss of 'self'.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Do you fear Death ?
No.

(I am presuming that you believe that there is nothing left of you after death than the memories of those still living of you).
Yes and no. I believe there's an immortal "seed of consciousness", but it isn't ME.

Yes. I do fear slow death. I also don't want to leave my son.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I keep reading that some welcome death because it's the end of suffering. Do you mean the end of suffering at the time of your death or the end of suffering, also known as life?

I was raised Catholic but I would call myself an atheist now...at least that's the term that most closely defines how I feel at this point. I fear the process of dying. How will it happen? Will I be one of the unlucky ones who goes in a terrible, painful way? Or without getting the chance to fully live out my life?

Also, while I wouldn't use the word fear, I am greatly saddened (perhaps selfishly) by the fact that when it's over, that's it. You had your one shot at life. I know I won't feel it and I won't know I'm dead, but that's the thing. This "suffering" that some people call life is the opposite for me. Life really does suck sometimes and in a big, bad way. But that's what I love about it. There are wonderful, happy times and then sad, painful, confusing times. No one wants to be unhappy, but I can appreciate those emotions for what they are. I enjoy the craziness and the experience. I enjoy feeling human.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Storm,
Yes and no. I believe there's an immortal "seed of consciousness", but it isn't ME.
Yes. I do fear slow death. I also don't want to leave my son.
If the first is true you cannot be serious about the second as when that seed in you is not YOu then similarly that seed in your son is not HIS then when both are not what you appear to be then how can there be father & son permanently?
Love & rgds