• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about death

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Friend Storm,

If the first is true you cannot be serious about the second as when that seed in you is not YOu then similarly that seed in your son is not HIS then when both are not what you appear to be then how can there be father & son permanently?
Love & rgds
That made absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

Sententia

Loss of 'self'.

I have loss of self every night when I give into sleep. (Ok... every morning when I succumb to sleep hehe)

A similar thing happens during surgery.

In either case what brings self awareness back?

Thats right. Coffee. Atleast for me. :p

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Storm,
When you say that when you die the conciousness in you [which is not you] remains. *AGREE*
What am trying to state is that similarlythere is a conciousness within your son which is [not your son] within him.
Yes, conciousness is not the ego and so is different. If we identify ourselves with that conciousness then we are part of the total conciousness and that way there are no sons or fathers.
If you still do not understand, do say so, shall try again.
Love & rgds

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, first off, I'm a woman. That makes me a mother, not a father.

No, I still don't have any idea what point you're trying to make.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Dear Friend Storm,
Sorry for using father instead of mother.
Next reference to your response as below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel
(this is obviously aimed at non theists)..................

Do you fear Death ?

No.

Quote:
(I am presuming that you believe that there is nothing left of you after death than the memories of those still living of you).
Yes and no. I believe there's an immortal "seed of consciousness", but it isn't ME.

Quote:
It seems to me that the pain of dying could be the only thing you would have to fear.
Yes. I do fear slow death. I also don't want to leave my son.

Herein you accept that after you die what remains is *seed of conciousness* and its not you? correct. agreed.
Next you state that you do not want to leave *my son*. You use the words *MY* .
Merely was trying to point out that in reality you are that seed of conciousness which is not you but a part of the universal conciousness and so is your son and so how can he be *YOURS* as he too is a seed of conciousness and not *HIM*.
Followed anything?
Love & rgds

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think I've finally got you, and I disagree. The divine seed of consciousness is not me, period. I am my personality as well. My son is my son.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think I've finally got you, and I disagree. The divine seed of consciousness is not me, period. I am my personality as well. My son is my son.
What is the "seed of consciousness" in relation to you, though? Do you participate in it?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What is the "seed of consciousness" in relation to you, though? Do you participate in it?
Yes. Life is the interaction between the "seed of consciousness" (rhys) and matter. My rhys is as much a part of me as the atoms of my body. But most of me is the interaction, which ends with death.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Storm,
What we are talking about is BODY & SOUL.
Take this to another thread for further discussion.
Check the new thread that follows.
Love & rgds

i fear death only because i won't be able to be around if someone tryes to drag my name though the mud, having no control over how you are rememberd is tricky.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
i fear death only because i won't be able to be around if someone tryes to drag my name though the mud, having no control over how you are rememberd is tricky.

But this is exactly what I have trouble understanding: If you won't be around, and you will have no form whatsoever, what would it matter what anyone said about you?:p

i life to leave my mark on the world, i don't want people messing up the mark i left since if they do i won't be able to alter it

when im dead corrupting the memory of me is like corrupting me since its the only remaining thing of me

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Haha, will it matter to you? Actually, people may hardly remember you for long. Why do you want your memory to be perpetuated? There is a song in Hindi which says 'pass on from the world as if you were never there'.

Last edited:

Well i left certain marks on the world that will last for a long time ,(mostly by people seeing there psyciatrist )

wel its like making a nice drawing then having someone rip it up when your not looking at it exept you know in advance that someone is gonna rip it up, would you wanna take your eyes of off it when you know all your hard work will be for nothing?

Do you fear Death ? (I am presuming that you believe that there is nothing left of you after death than the memories of those still living of you).
death can be defined as a physical process where the brain and the heart fail to response but the trust remain intact, how so ?
There has to be something bigger afterall inside or outside this physical universe for none of our big brains ( cosmologists) have been able to explain the existance of dark matter for exemple
why worry enjoy life when you die you will have all the time to think about this subject

Sententia

It seems to me people think there is more to them then just their body... they believe they have a noncorporeal form or an eternal spirit or someother fantasy. Reincarnation.

There is of course no proof so people make their own proof and pass it on like a virus.

What is surprising is those that believe there is more to life after death fear death even more then those who believe death is the end... I guess most do in my experience.

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
So, do you fear Death? If so, why?

Nope! Not even a little. In fact, there are days when I can't wait to die! I know that sounds bad, but that's not how I mean it at all. I'm not in any way shape or form suicidal, nor do I even anticipate situations where I could hope for death to occur (in fact, I'm going into the profession of saving lives). I look at it more like I did my first trip to Mexico - I knew that I wasn't leaving for a long time to come, I was excited to go, but it's not as though I could do anything to make the day come sooner, even if I wanted. There's a certain joy in that waiting, in that sense of excitement of only having the vaguest notion of what to expect.

I believe in reincarnation, so it's exciting to think of all the possibilities of what I could be next. Like that trip to Mexico, I find myself wondering; will I get to choose the adventures that I go on or do I already have a set timetable waiting for me?

When my life is all said and done (hopefully not for a long time!) I look forward to being able to look back over my life and see it from that outside point of view. What was the point of my life? Was there one thing in particular that it was my ultimate duty to do before I died? Did I accomplish it? Did I learn the lesson that my soul was supposed to learn in this lifetime?

There are so many unanswered questions for me - about the gods, about loved ones long passed, about the future of the soul - that honestly, I can't wait to find out!

Because of my belief in reincarnation and reward/punishment of the soul in subsequent lives, I also don't have a problem with death in general. I celebrate the death of the elderly, who have lived full lives and finally go to enjoy their rest and celebration in the Hunting Grounds before living again. I celebrate the death of those who are disabled or terminally ill, who have fought the good fight, paid their dues and finally move on to their reward.

Death is as constant as life. I can't help but feel that we make a bigger deal of it than it has to be. It just is, and will be an inevitable adventure for us all.

And what a grand adventure it will be!