• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A questions for Christians who believe in missionary work...

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Its a shame they had to become Christians to recieve such hospitality. I don't think they'd get close to the support they're getting without their "faith."

They grew up attending missionary schools, eating meals that were provided to them by these missionaries, and then went on to college on scholarships provided to them by Christian organizations. The money that they earn goes to better the lives of their families and their communities - desperately poor communities stricken with AIDS, malnutrition, and a very low standard of living. Their families and communities depend on them for many otherwise unobtainable comforts in life.

These men enjoy a quality of life that does indeed seem high - they were obviously healthy, happy, and full of talent and energy.

Yeah, I can see how those horrid Christians have really worked them over.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
They grew up attending missionary schools, eating meals that were provided to them by these missionaries, and then went on to college on scholarships provided to them by Christian organizations. The money that they earn goes to better the lives of their families and their communities - desperately poor communities stricken with AIDS, malnutrition, and a very low standard of living. Their families and communities depend on them for many otherwise unobtainable comforts in life.

These men enjoy a quality of life that does indeed seem high - they were obviously healthy, happy, and full of talent and energy.

Yeah, I can see how those horrid Christians have really worked them over.

I wonder how much preaching they recieved on their way through?

I don't think Christians do a bad job, they're very generous, i just don't like missionaries preaching to vunerable communities who will seek "salvation" to see their family through and to make their lives better.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
My church regularly responds to needs in the community whether they come from fellow Christians or people of other religions or no religion. Honestly, such snide comments as yours betrays an utter lack of contact with the Christian community.

I have no trust in Christian missionaries. Their over-generosity raises questions as to whats behind such generosity. I don't think they just give and give without trying to send their message across. Its not that they're not generous, i just hate the preaching that comes with it.

I get missionaries comming to my house all the time, what will it take for them to mind their own business? I don't go to their homes and preach agnosticism or atheism or satanism, so why do they think its their right to try and convert me to their cause?

Dunemeister

I have no trust in Christian missionaries. Their over-generosity raises questions as to whats behind such generosity. I don't think they just give and give without trying to send their message across. Its not that they're not generous, i just hate the preaching that comes with it.

Fine, you may not like the message. And certainly the message is part of what motivates the missionary. Nevertheless, the missionary is also motivated by a genuine desire to meet the temporal needs of those he ministers to. So you're right that part of their motive is to preach. That said, no one is under any obligation to believe what is preached and believing is never a condition for receiving the other benefits of the missionary. If there have been cases where missionaries have so behaved, they have acted out of step with their calling and are rightfully criticized. But they CANNOT be criticized for their preaching. It's simply part of the mission.

I get missionaries comming to my house all the time, what will it take for them to mind their own business? I don't go to their homes and preach agnosticism or atheism or satanism, so why do they think its their right to try and convert me to their cause?

I'm not a great fan of door-to-door preaching myself. But generally, these missionaries go away if you politely indicate a lack of interest in the conversation, don't they?

If they persist after that, may I suggest that you ask them which church they represent -- the specific one, including its address and phone number. Then complain to whoever's in charge there. I'm sure the leaders would be interested to know that some of their members are giving their church a bad name, and the behavior of those missionaries will be corrected going forward.

Dunemeister

I wonder how much preaching they recieved on their way through?

I don't think Christians do a bad job, they're very generous, i just don't like missionaries preaching to vunerable communities who will seek "salvation" to see their family through and to make their lives better.

Yeah, it's probably better to leave the vulnerable community to their vulnerabilities.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Wow, where do all these people being pestered by door to door evangelists live? None of those guys ever comes to my door...

I keep waiting for Prince to show up with the Jehovah's Witnesses. When he does, I'm gonna ask him to sing "Kiss."

i have no trust in christian missionaries. Their over-generosity raises questions as to whats behind such generosity. I don't think they just give and give without trying to send their message across. Its not that they're not generous, i just hate the preaching that comes with it.

once i witnessed a christian evangelist trying to preached to a muslim woman in a bus,he was mumbling about christianity and jesus love you thing, all the way while the woman was trying to ignore him..about 40 mins through the journey the woman got so furious and yelled at him..surprisingly it didnt effect him and he went on rattling like a man possesed .......

A few yrs ago parents were complaining about teachers who propagate christianity to young students,bringing students to join activities in their churches..till the government got to intervened...taking advantage of young students is really disgusting,knowing how the students look up to their teachers.i dont see any diff.propagating to the uneducated and poor of the 3rd world and propagating to students..

logician

I don't think some of these people live in the real world. Christianity is pushed hard 24/7 on TV and the radio in an effort to get money and gain believers. I've been in many churches over the years, and yes, they may serve some purpose by providing some service for the community, but it always comes at a price, you have to listen to their "marketing". Missionary work is no different, and the basic intent of mission work is always to gain believers.