• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Universe from Nothing?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't have a stance. That post was obviously made in jest. Of course I don't believe that you believe in the content of that post.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do have a sense of humor.

Ahh, jest. Right so you are saying you don't actually mean what you wrote?

A jest it best made of truth, not total bull

DavidFirth

That was humour based on truth.

There is nothing to falsify, that is the point...

See the difference?

No. I just see you claiming something is false or that you wish to claim something is false. I really don't care what you claim, you're not God.

ChristineM

Premium Member
No. I just see you claiming something is false or that you wish to claim something is false. I really don't care what you claim, you're not God.

All you need is evidence. Nothing more, nothing less. Evidence that can be validated.

Don't worry, I'll wait

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Wt* has "reincarnation/rebirth" to do with Deity worship?

Obfuscate? Who is the one telling porky pies about what i posted? Who is the one claiming reincarnation and rebirth are god worship?

You want to accuse me of your faults then you need to be much more clever...
Listen to yourself, you are obfuscating, please quote my exact words where I say reincarnation/rebirth is God worship? Right, there is none, you made it up, so now if it is not too much to ask, please be a good girl and answer the question, do you believe that reincarnation/rebirth is a secular belief or a religious belief?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Rubbish, you made a claim and i provided a link to disprove your claim. The link has everything to do with it despite the fact you wish it was not there.
No, you made the claim that my religious practice of stilling the mind was not a religious practice. When I called you on it, you posted the link that was irrelevant for the obvious reason that it did not say that still mind meditation practice was not a religious practice. You need to take responsibility for your own words and cease trying to misdirect to an irrelevant link. The question to you is..do you, knowing my position on religious matters, think that my still mind meditation practice is not s religious practice? No further obfuscation please!

Ponder This

I want you to confirm what I said, if it is indeed the case. Can you do that?

I cannot confirm it. In this case, reality is not absolute.

To be absolute means to be not qualified or diminished in any way; total.
A dream is a series of thoughts, images, and sensations occurring in a person's mind during sleep.
On what basis can we qualify our dreams as absolutely real such that we have a basis to dismiss them as not being real once we have awoken? This needs to be explored and the qualification of 'absolute' carefully considered. We should also consider the contextual understanding of what is real. You are using the word 'real' to refer to things that exist in our dreams. Perhaps when this universe ends (if it does end), we will no longer regard the universe as real.

Or that the answer may be "infinity", which is only slightly older than I am?

I'm not certain what you mean here.
If the universe is assumed to have originated from nothing, then it had a beginning. So I don't understand what you mean by "infinity".
If the universe did not have a beginning, then the universe always existed. Is this what you mean by "infinity"?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Listen to yourself, you are obfuscating, please quote my exact words where I say reincarnation/rebirth is God worship? Right, there is none, you made it up, so now if it is not too much to ask, please be a good girl and answer the question, do you believe that reincarnation/rebirth is a secular belief or a religious belief?

You are doing it again, you are implying i said something i didn't. I'm getting really sick of your bull.
i said that that reincarnation/rebirth is NOT god worship

If you are going to continue lying about what i said then i see no point in going further with this.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I cannot confirm it. In this case, reality is not absolute.

To be absolute means to be not qualified or diminished in any way; total.
A dream is a series of thoughts, images, and sensations occurring in a person's mind during sleep.
On what basis can we qualify our dreams as absolutely real such that we have a basis to dismiss them as not being real once we have awoken? This needs to be explored and the qualification of 'absolute' carefully considered. We should also consider the contextual understanding of what is real. You are using the word 'real' to refer to things that exist in our dreams. Perhaps when this universe ends (if it does end), we will no longer regard the universe as real.

I am afraid you are missing what I am saying: so let's go back to my original question:

When you are dreaming, you do not know you are dreaming, and the dream, as far as you as the dreamer is concerned, is real.

Can you confirm or deny this so we can continue the discussion?

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, you made the claim that my religious practice of stilling the mind was not a religious practice. When I called you on it, you posted the link that was irrelevant for the obvious reason that it did not say that still mind meditation practice was not a religious practice. You need to take responsibility for your own words and cease trying to misdirect to an irrelevant link. The question to you is..do you, knowing my position on religious matters, think that my still mind meditation practice is not s religious practice? No further obfuscation please!

I know what i said and the evidence i posted. No more lying please

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
You are doing it again, you are implying i said something i didn't. I'm getting really sick of your bull.
i said that that reincarnation/rebirth is NOT god worship

If you are going to continue lying about what i said then i see no point in going further with this.
And that is irrelevant and an obfuscation because it is not the question, the question I am asking you is ....do you believe that reincarnation/rebirth is a secular belief or a religious belief? Please...no more obfuscation!

What lie are talking about...please quote my exact words?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I know what i said and the evidence i posted. No more lying please
Christine, it is ok to admit it when you are wrong, by doubling down you only dig your hole deeper. Just answer the question honestly and your misery is over..do you think that my still mind meditation practice is not a religious practice?

And what is this lie you accuse me of....please quote my exact words?

gnostic

The Lost One
Which criteria are you using to determine that the universe is real?
In 1919, Edwin using the Hooker Telescope discovered that Andromeda and Triangulum were not nebulae and part of the Milky Way, but separate galaxies of their own, and since then other galaxies were discovered that were even further away than the Andromeda Galaxy, our nearest spiral galaxy.

Before Hubble's discovery, astronomers using the telescopes since Galileo and Kepler's time before Hubble, they all thought the Milky Way was the entire universe.

Below is image of small region in space, located in the Fornax constellation, known as Hubble Ultra-Deep Field (HUDF), from the Hubble Space Telescope.

xlarge_web.jpg

It is not the whole universe, but only a tiny section of the universe, using the telescope full range, from ultraviolet to near-infrared lights. This image is the furthest image of the universe we can see, using an optical telescope. That's about 13 billion years ago, or when the universe was approximately 600 million years old.

(Source: Hubblesite (hubblesite.org), Hubble Ultra Deep Field 2014, HubbleSite: Image - Hubble Ultra Deep Field 2014)

Like I said, it is not the whole universe, HUDF image showed only a small region in space, and that image displayed different 10,000 galaxies, not stars.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And from David comes a lot of 'nothings' and then came 'something'.
I guess the 'something' formed a 'container' about which the 'singularity' was held.
Sillingness becomes more silliness !
~
Again I ask: from where did the water come, before Genesis !
that was God's description of existence prior to ...Let there be light

bear in mind, He was introducing mself as Creator
to an 80yr old man
whose background might have education.....but not to a level of comprehending the reality

Thief

Rogue Theologian
All you need is evidence. Nothing more, nothing less. Evidence that can be validated.

Don't worry, I'll wait
you're going to wait a long time

do you plan doing so in heaven
or will the grave be evident?.....sufficient to believe in?

ChristineM

Premium Member
And that is irrelevant and an obfuscation because it is not the question, the question I am asking you is ....do you believe that reincarnation/rebirth is a secular belief or a religious belief? Please...no more obfuscation!

What lie are talking about...please quote my exact words?

It is not relevant. End of story

Quote "please quote my exact words where I say reincarnation/rebirth is God worship? Right, "

I did not say you said that, so you are using deception to hide behind

ChristineM

Premium Member
Christine, it is ok to admit it when you are wrong, by doubling down you only dig your hole deeper. Just answer the question honestly and your misery is over..do you think that my still mind meditation practice is not a religious practice?

And what is this lie you accuse me of....please quote my exact words?

So feel free to admit you are wrong.

As said,i know what i posted, i also know what it referenced and i provided evidence to disprove your claim. You then moved the goalposts and claimed the reference was to you personally and not, as the original post i replied to, general.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm not certain what you mean here.
If the universe is assumed to have originated from nothing, then it had a beginning. So I don't understand what you mean by "infinity".
If the universe did not have a beginning, then the universe always existed. Is this what you mean by "infinity"?
According to researcher, Leonard Susskind, he says that most cosmologists now lean in the direction that there was always "something", therefore "infinity".

In the case of there being a "beginning", the question begs where does one draw the line as a starting point? For example, with me posting back to you, when did that start? when I started typing? when I read your post? when I signed on to RF? when you and I were born?

In Buddhism, this concept is often called "dependence rising", namely that it appears that every thing has a cause and every thing seems to be interconnected in some way.