• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A world without religion

Me Myself

Back to my username
I still do not get what you are trying to say - as - no religion is needed for evolution.

I am not saying it is needed.

The other way best to phrase it may be how could you expect e world to be without one single religion?

Smething awful would have to happen for it to lose the technique of the scientific method, but inventions would continue, even if with a less rigorous (and trustworthy) technique.

What would have to happen so that NO RELIGION exists ANYWHERE?

I think you're completely missing the point. I'm saying naivete and delusion are the only things keeping religion alive; not that we should physically remove pieces of people's brains to eliminate it... People aren't biologically wired to stupidly believe that there is a man in the sky watching everything we do. If that were the case, we would all be religious. There's something else going on there that doesn't require a biological change.

If y think we are not biologically wired towards animism you probably havent been paying attention to tribes around the world, art everywhere and probably your own dream life.

We are not wired for "stupidity" , that is exactly why we cant just "change" to be "no religion = smarts"

Education might help...

To decrease it, yes, depending on your definition of religion but is there any single educated country where no one has any religion?

One thing is a world with little religion, that may be doable (depending on your definition of religion) but a world WITHOUT is very doubtful to remain so if there are any humans in it.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I could ask you the same question. Assuming that by "spiritually aware" you mean people that believe they have souls and need to nurture them doing "spiritual" things, I know plenty. I am the only atheist in my family, you know. They don't seem any happier than I do.
"Belief in the human soul" =/= "spiritually-aware." Believing in the existence of the soul isn't the same thing as working to develop spiritual awareness. I happen to know several people who are spiritually-aware. They are happier and better adjusted than anyone else I know.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
I still do not get what you are trying to say - as - no religion is needed for evolution.

I am not saying it is needed.

The other way best to phrase it may be how could you expect e world to be without one single religion?

Smething awful would have to happen for it to lose the technique of the scientific method, but inventions would continue, even if with a less rigorous (and trustworthy) technique.

What would I expect? A Normal world, just without religion.

Ingledsva said:
What would have to happen so that NO RELIGION exists ANYWHERE?

How would I know.

If y think we are not biologically wired towards animism you probably havent been paying attention to tribes around the world, art everywhere and probably your own dream life.

Animism is just one way beings on this particular planet went. It is obviously not the only way to go. We do have Atheists. Inquiry/science is a much more logical path.

We are not wired for "stupidity" , that is exactly why we cant just "change" to be "no religion = smarts"

That is a ridiculous statement.

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Definitely! I am so ready in learning prophecies! I’m so glad I discovered this website that will make me understand prophecies better

Uuummm! How did you get prophecies out of this thread?

We do however need some new topics - so start a new thread on a prophecy you wish to discuss.

Crazyflight

Antitheist-Open to Ideas!
A world without religion is absolutely impossible, given the nature of humans. We're very self-centered, so we latch onto any way to make ourselves happier. Envisioning an afterlife after we die makes us very happy. We also like to eradicate suffering. Many religions seek to do this as well.

Given this, the Earth would be better off if humans never existed. That is the only way that there can be a world without religion.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
"Belief in the human soul" =/= "spiritually-aware." Believing in the existence of the soul isn't the same thing as working to develop spiritual awareness. I happen to know several people who are spiritually-aware. They are happier and better adjusted than anyone else I know.
What does it mean to be "spiritually aware" then?

Orcamute

Humanistic Agnostic.
Think.

What would need to happen so that NO ONE in the WORLD is religious, and NO religion suddenly generates NOWHERE?

Keep in mind some people exist today that still believe in a Flat Earth.

I don't agree with this at all. Religion became, to explain the mysteries of the universe that nobody understood. Nowadays, it has more to do with religious indoctrination than any of the sorts. When you are raised to think a certain way and become dedicated and remote in the way you view life..it is very hard to change. How many hours do you think the average theist spends in church? How would you go about life if you were raised to believe that your belief is the determining factor between heaven and hell or resurrection and no resurrection? It would be quite easy to neglect the scientific evidence and theorems and stay upon the pathway of neurological reasoning within your beliefs, no? So therefore, in order for religion to parish..you just need to get rid of indoctrination and make science more openly accessible.

We are not a stupid species, we can be incredibly efficient. We just don't all know how to think and even then..the definition of "think" can be a debate in itself.

Last edited:

Orcamute

Humanistic Agnostic.
I believe (don't let me speak for him), he is trying to say that "religion needs to get kicked off Earth" without being too politically incorrect.

In many ways I agree, in some ways I don't.

sojourner

What does it mean to be "spiritually aware" then?
It means to come to a deep awareness of one's self as it is grounded in the spiritual, especially as that grounding connects one inextricably with others and with the rest of the universe. Short answer.

Me Myself

Back to my username

A "normal world" just "without religion" would be a world without humans.

Or with humans having some weird deep psychological alteration for the aparition of superstition to be IMPOSIBLE in them. Which we cant really know if that could be called human.

I assume you are not proposing that it is posible to have a world in which 7 billion people happen to none of them ever choose or make a religion even though it is posible from within human logic, right?

Because THAT would be a ridiculous expectation.

The most reasonable expectation we can have about a world where there is no religion is that there are no humans in it.

With science, it is not so. The scientific method can be gone, and we could still have inventions and humans. We did for thousands of years. Sure, I love science`s contributions, but it is a specific technique, hardly and inherent part of humanity.

Not like say, art.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I mean, today, the only places in which NO ONE has one religion would be places with:

1- no humans

2- almost no humans.

3-A convention for non-religious (or something like that? Cant say atheists, cause buddhists would be involved)

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Perhaps because you're not spiritually aware. As I've said before, those blind from birth don't miss the sense of sight.

Does that mean I'm less happy or fulfilled than people that are, but I just don't know it? The idea that I have some sort of void in my life that needs filling with spirituality is no different than someone gorilla pimping a woman by getting her hooked on heroin, in my opinion.

sojourner

Does that mean I'm less happy or fulfilled than people that are, but I just don't know it? The idea that I have some sort of void in my life that needs filling with spirituality is no different than someone gorilla pimping a woman by getting her hooked on heroin, in my opinion.
Yes. That's what I think. Unless, of course, you are getting in touch spiritually, but simply conceptualizing and verbalizing it in some different way than using the term "spiritual."

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
A "normal world" just "without religion" would be a world without humans.

Or with humans having some weird deep psychological alteration for the aparition of superstition to be IMPOSIBLE in them. Which we cant really know if that could be called human.

I assume you are not proposing that it is posible to have a world in which 7 billion people happen to none of them ever choose or make a religion even though it is posible from within human logic, right?

Because THAT would be a ridiculous expectation.

The most reasonable expectation we can have about a world where there is no religion is that there are no humans in it.

With science, it is not so. The scientific method can be gone, and we could still have inventions and humans. We did for thousands of years. Sure, I love science`s contributions, but it is a specific technique, hardly and inherent part of humanity.

Not like say, art.

What? Science is the inquiry into how things work. We have had science from the beginning - from how to make the best shelter - the best weapons - hide coverings - fire - to pigments for "art" - to "magic" - to alchemy, etc.

There is no reason whatsoever to assume this world and people wouldn't be, if it weren't for religion.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've read that the brain functions necessary for thinking in scientific terms about things first evolved as brain functions necessary for tracking animals. From what little I know of both tracking animals and science, that seems at least plausible.

Me Myself

Back to my username
What? Science is the inquiry into how things work. We have had science from the beginning - from how to make the best shelter - the best weapons - hide coverings - fire - to pigments for "art" - to "magic" - to alchemy, etc.

By using that definition, most religions would be the result of "science"

There is no reason whatsoever to assume this world and people wouldn't be, if it weren't for religion.

You keep putting the horses behind the chariot.

Religion wouldnt be if not for the way people are.