• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A world without religion

Me Myself

Back to my username
I've read that the brain functions necessary for thinking in scientific terms about things first evolved as brain functions necessary for tracking animals. From what little I know of both tracking animals and science, that seems at least plausible.

It sounds interesting. Know very little not to say nothing about tracking animals, but it feels sensical :D

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I've read that the brain functions necessary for thinking in scientific terms about things first evolved as brain functions necessary for tracking animals. From what little I know of both tracking animals and science, that seems at least plausible.

Yes, I've been taught to track for hunting. The more knowledge the better off you are.

You need to understand the different animal tracks, and hunting/sleeping cycles of the different animals, etc.

What animals are good to eat at different times of year. For instance moose are really gamey and strong tasting during the rut. They are also extremely dangerous at that time.

You need to understand which scat is from which animal.
The size can tell you if you are tracking a juvenile, or full grown animal.
color and texture tell you what it has been eating - and thus where you might locate it.
The condition tell you how long ago it was left = how close you are.
The scat along with the time of day can tell you if it is in a hunting pattern, or heading back to a den to rest. Very useful hunting and safety info.
Scent can tell you health conditions and if it is in rut, etc.
Collected urine and scent can bait in your dinner. :D

You need to know the wind pattern so as not to waft your scent to it, thus scaring your dinner away.

There is definitely science behind it.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
What? Science is the inquiry into how things work. We have had science from the beginning - from how to make the best shelter - the best weapons - hide coverings - fire - to pigments for "art" - to "magic" - to alchemy, etc.
By using that definition, most religions would be the result of "science"

The initial inquiry would be somewhat in the science realm, however, once you decided , without proof, that an invisible being controlled your life, it would no longer be science.

Ingledsva said:
There is no reason whatsoever to assume this world and people wouldn't be, if it weren't for religion.
You keep putting the horses behind the chariot.

Religion wouldn't be if not for the way people are.

I don't agree. Science is natural, so is story telling, but believing in invisible people is not an end requirement of the first two.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The initial inquiry would be somewhat in the science realm, however, once you decided , without proof, that an invisible being controlled your life, it would no longer be science.

I don't agree. Science is natural, so is story telling, but believing in invisible people is not an end requirement of the first two.

so religion is not natural.

does it come from a supernatural source?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you aren't religious - where is this idea that without religion there would be, no humans, two humans, or very few humans, come from?

How about Genesis?
Few humans.....no religion.

I'm not religious.....
But I do believe someone had to be first on this planet.....as Man.
I call him....Adam

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
How about Genesis?
Few humans.....no religion.

I'm not religious.....
But I do believe someone had to be first on this planet.....as Man.
I call him....Adam
:confused: Sounds religious to me. Why exhibit Genesis as evidence and use the name of the Biblical first man if you don't follow the religion of the Bible? You actually have yet to say anything on this forum that would lead me to believe you aren't religious.

Me Myself

Back to my username
That's the concept.

Technically, no, the concept is that it is a set of rules, generally believed to come from a supernatural source. which is of course different than set of rules generally coming from a supernatural source.

What I find interesting is that he is trying to say religion is not natural to us, yet I would assume he does not expect aliens or deities to have come and given us all the religions that developed independently in so many different parts of the worlds and tribes of humans.

I`ve never heard of an atheist tribe, and even in the most educated countries, you wont find a 100% non-religious population, even in the countries that try to make it so by legal repression.

we are naturally inclined to religion. If we were not, it wouldnt appear on it`s own and it would be easy to take out.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:

so religion is not natural.

does it come from a supernatural source?

Now did I say that? NO!

Storytelling is in all of us. There is no reason to believe that people couldn't have taken a scientific bent from such, rather then invisible people/religion.

People would still be here either way.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Now did I say that? NO!

Storytelling is in all of us. There is no reason to believe that people couldn't have taken a scientific bent from such, rather then invisible people/religion.

People would still be here either way.

Of course there is no reason to believe people couldn`t do that.

But there is no reason to believe EVERYONE will do that.

Do you know anywhere where this has happened? say a country or town of more than 100 people? (heck, 50?)

Believing NO ONE will do what we are naturally predisposed to do (have animistic leanings and explanations for stuff) would mean that there are either very few humans left most or all of which knew of religion and grew distrusting on it given several life experiences that made them distrust their natural animistic leanings (corroborated by tribes anywhere) or that one extremely basic part of human nature has changed, of which ramifications we could only be uncertain (everything is conected after all)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
People aren't biologically wired to stupidly believe that there is a man in the sky watching everything we do. If that were the case, we would all be religious.
There is evidence that shows that we are wired to have spiritual experiences. I believe we are all religious (if I can use that term broadly). Some of us express that experience in terms of standard, cultural mythology. Some express it in terms of humanism and human achievement. "Going to the moon" is, at its heart, a religious endeavor -- not because it "puts us geographically closer to heaven," but because it expands us -- it "makes more" of us."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
That's an extremely broad definition of religion.
Yes, it is. But I believe it speaks best to the human spirit, which is, after all, what "religion" is, yes? Why does "religion" have to be encased in cultural mythology?? Plenty of atheists respect the earth, their bodies, their fellow human beings, strive to do their best to be the best they can be, work to expand their awareness, and dream dreams that are bigger than they are. That's "religion."

Thief

Rogue Theologian
:confused: Sounds religious to me. Why exhibit Genesis as evidence and use the name of the Biblical first man if you don't follow the religion of the Bible? You actually have yet to say anything on this forum that would lead me to believe you aren't religious.

I have no congregation, no ritual, no ceremony, no recital of prayer, no dogmatic faith.
Rogue theologian.
Note banner.

That I hold to the notion that someone had to be first.....is logic.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I have no congregation, no ritual, no ceremony, no recital of prayer, no dogmatic faith.
Rogue theologian.
Note banner.

That I hold to the notion that someone had to be first.....is logic.
That you hold the notion said someone is the Christian god.... is religion.:rolleyes:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Not I.

God is God.
I don't care whatever prophet you follow.
Care even less if you don't.
You don't realize that the fact you believe in the Abrahamic god specifically and accept the Bible as the truth makes you religious? That's like saying "I'm not a vegetarian, I just won't eat meat"...:facepalm:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You don't realize that the fact you believe in the Abrahamic god specifically and accept the Bible as the truth makes you religious? That's like saying "I'm not a vegetarian, I just won't eat meat"...:facepalm:

I have canine teeth....and live accordingly.

I have a God.
I do unto others as I would have it done unto me.

I have never needed anything else ...or more.