• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion - is it wrong?

espo35

Now, one CAN support an opinion with a logical argument, but it is still an opinion.

Just like in this thread, there really cannot be a "correct" answer...it is ALL opinion.

Mine, of course, being the soundest....:)

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
So... the fact that abstinence-only education has been a colossal failure, and even though the data shows a very clear trend that the more abstinence is emphasized to the exclusion of other birth control methods, the higher the rates of teen pregnancy, you think that it we just had *more* of it, at some point the trend would magically reverse and everything would be sunshine and roses.

And I disagree with your conflation of this one issue with others. If you want to wait until marriage for sex, well, that's your own choice, but if you're going to claim that people who don't take this stance don't "believe in the structure of the family", then you had better support this on its own merits. Sex is sex; it's not marriage or family.

Would be better to use my words and context when referring to something I said. But, i'm not really interested in what you have to say.

Besides that "marriage" safeguards NOTHING.

It does not safeguard from physical health, and high risk medical problems/conditions.
It does not safeguard from economic difficulty, poverty or ruin.
It does not safeguard from depression, or any host of mental health issues and dangers.
It does not safeguard from personal dreams, goals, visions and needs.
it does not safeguard from individuals changing, and growing apart.
It does not safeguard from age, fatigue, lack of vitality and energy.
It does not safeguard from burnout, or changed goals.
It does not safeguard against relational stagnation.
It does not safeguard against the inability to cope.
It does not safeguard against unhappiness, and lack of personal fulfillment.
It does not safeguard against regret, pain, disappointment.
It does not safeguard against separation.
it does not safeguard against death.
It does not safeguard against extreme and undue stress.
It does not safeguard against disease or addiction.
It does not safeguard against a partner who makes imprudent, and risky decisions.
It does not safeguard against a partner who engages in high risk behavior,
and subjects your children to high risk behavior.

In fact, the legal attachment only makes it worse.

It safeguards against nothing,
and it guarantees nothing.

I disagree. However, it seems like a strictly emotional subject for you.. so i'll just leave it at that.

Sleeppy

To both 9-10ths and UltraViolet

Don't take what I say out of context.. it's a waste of time for both of us.

Ex: "marriage - which has it's own prerequisites"

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Now, one CAN support an opinion with a logical argument, but it is still an opinion.

Just like in this thread, there really cannot be a "correct" answer...it is ALL opinion.
So if someone had the "opinion" that the earth is flat, it would be just as correct as another person's "opinion" that the earth is a sphere?

Mine, of course, being the soundest....:)
Except for the fact that it conflicts with the biological reality of the issue.

Last edited:

espo35

Man, I hope you're joking.

The world can be proven to be round, yes?

Can abortion be proven to be "wrong"?

I suppose it can be....on Judgment Day, but until then...only opinion.

I'd respond to your last sentence...if it made a lick of sense.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I suppose it can be....on Judgment Day, but until then...only opinion.
"But until then" nothing.
Even on Judgement day and after Judgement day, it is still nothing but opinion.

Opinions assigned to a deity are still only opinions.

blackout

Violet.
To both 9-10ths and UltraViolet

Don't take what I say out of context.. it's a waste of time for both of us.

Ex: "marriage - which has it's own prerequisites"

It doesn't matter what "prerequisites" you give marriage.

It is actually a guarantee of nothing.

And my post was not emotional in the least.
It was calmly written and well thought out.
I wanted to be thorough.

EDIT: What specific prerequisites - unique to 'marriage'-
do you feel guarantee against the things in my list?

Last edited:

Sleeppy

It doesn't matter what "prerequisites" you give marriage.

It is actually a guarantee of nothing.

And my post was not emotional in the least.
It was calmly written and well thought out.
I wanted to be thorough.

EDIT: What specific prerequisites - unique to 'marriage'-
do you feel guarantee against the things in my list?

If truly it was calmly written and well thought out, then I won't stir you. You've stated your self-realized and "well thought out" belief. I'll leave what I "feel" to myself.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No. It works. The people who believe in the structure of a family just haven't been vigilant enough (perhaps due to distractions of other catastrophe - finance, health etc.) to maintain its popularity. And where it was never popular it was never thoroughly tought, understood and experienced.

People are just more responsive to a bomb actually exploding and killing several people, than only hearing that it will happen. In those countries where sexual diseases have drastically demolished the landscape, they continue to be ignorant or hopeless. More 'preaching' has to be done and the benefits of the family structure, under marriages, have to be experienced.
I do not know which is worse.
That you preach this bull **** or that you honestly believe it.

blackout

Violet.
If truly it was calmly written and well thought out, then I won't stir you. You've stated your self-realized and "well thought out" belief. I'll leave what I "feel" to myself.

So you believe/"feel" that marriage (with magical prerequisites you prefer to keep to yourself)
DOES safeguard against medical conditions, psychological illness, poverty, and even death?
(just to name a few)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So you believe/"feel" that marriage (with magical prerequisites you prefer to keep to yourself)
DOES safeguard against medical conditions, psychological illness, poverty, and even death?
(just to name a few)
Seems to me that there was someone else who made the claim that marriage somehow magically protected people from such things...
I will now have to see if I can find it

blackout

Violet.
Marriage is a legal contract.
It guarantees only the things outlined in that contract.

People can make promises and agreements -- all the same ---
without any government contract.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Seems to me that there was someone else who made the claim that marriage somehow magically protected people from such things...
I will now have to see if I can find it
woo hoo!!
I found it:
Many people have learned that sex outside of Gods arrangement (marriage) does not lead to happiness...it often makes people unhappy and brings trouble to their life, ie unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, lack of self respect
and it can often cause relationships to sour. You should know that most woman seek a partner who wants to stay with her...if your idea is only casual sex, then she may feel betrayed and used by you at a later time... and thats even if you've told her you only want casual sex because a womans emotional makeup makes us prone to attachment.

I am curious, how does marriage prevent STDs, pregnancy, lack of self respect, and never having a relationship sour?
I never got an answer from Peg.

I was so hoping that Sleeppy would be able to shed some light on this mysterious force surrounding marriage that prevents such things.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

People can make promises and agreements just as easily
Divorce shows that it does not even guarantee what is outlined in the contract...

Sleeppy

(just to name a few)

People can make promises and agreements -- all the same ---

I'm not sure why you're being persitent. You're actually asking me to 'preach'?

The first question im sure is rhetorical.. but i'm guessing you really wanted to hear my answer again. Perhaps more thoroughly.

I never specifically mentioned anything in your parenthesis. You can use things I actually stated earlier to get a response for that.

I also never said anything about a contract.. or what a contract, I would endorse, involves.